PDA

View Full Version : Masse problem

Drop1
09-08-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm right handed,and can get enough spin on the cue ball to get off a decent shot around a ball to hit my object ball. But when I need to switch to the left side of the cue ball,I can't do squat;comments appreciated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bob_Jewett
09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I'm right handed,and can get enough spin on the cue ball to get off a decent shot around a ball to hit my object ball. But when I need to switch to the left side of the cue ball,I can't do squat;comments appreciated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>
You aren't hitting where you intend on the cue ball. I suspect you aren't coming straight through with the elevated stroke. Start with softer shots and with less elevation and work your way up.

Barbara
09-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Ditto what Bob said.

And it reminds me of what Jimmy Caras told me. Always practice the same shot from both sides of the table. Regardless of whether you are right or left handed, you will favor one side of the table because you can reach the shots better depending on your favored hand.

Barbara

poolturtle
09-08-2005, 07:03 PM
One thing I've noticed (I first read it somewhere, and then experienced it in practice myself) is that you don't neccessarily need to knock the living crap out of the ball when you masse. Most people's problem when not getting enough spin(besides not hitting it correctly) is that when they hit the ball so hard, they cause the CB to travel so far downtable that the side/backspin doesn't have time to kick in before friction kills it.

As Bob_Jewett already said, start with softer shots, concentrating on hitting the cueball in the correct spot. By doing this, you'll learn to control the hit (as opposed to blindly knocking the hell out of the CB). You'll also get a better feel for the speed required for different shots (table length masse, masse's for position, the traditional "U turn" masse, etc)

Good luck

theinel
09-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Drop1, Bob got this right on from the technique angle. There are two other things that you need to know/remember. First is that you need to believe/visualize you will succeed with the shot. If you don't believe it or can't picture it in your mind you won't likely succeed. Also if you favor one side versus the other which is common when doing new things, because your mind only recognizes the one option, then you may struggle with the other side. The second is related to the first and that is that all swerve/masse shots are largely based on "feel". The more times you attempt these shots from the other side the better you will feel them and the better results you will achieve.

(Afterthought) There is a technical issue which can affect these shots. If you are elevating your cue more than approx. 45 degrees and are still trying to maintain the normal shooting stroke you may have problems with follow through. In these situations you are much better off shooting side arm or with your hand directly above the cue as opposed to under it. I could explain that better if what I just said didn't convey very well.

heater451
09-10-2005, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> . . .In these situations you are much better off shooting side arm or with your hand directly above the cue as opposed to under it. I could explain that better if what I just said didn't convey very well. <hr /></blockquote>Similar to using the "dart stroke" for a jump?

==========================