PDA

View Full Version : Who is Fasts Larry

FrankW
09-09-2005, 01:03 PM
A friend told me to look up Fast Larry for pool lessons I checked out his site he's not far away is he a good instructor.I can't seem to find anyone that has taken lessons from him.

woody_968
09-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Your post was made for one of two reasons. Either you know who Fast Larry is and your stirring %&*$ or you dont know who he is and its an honest question.

Since I dont want to see a new poster insulted based on a guess Im going to assume you are asking an honest question and give you what little I know of him.

Larry is well known on the internet boards for being,,, well,,, sort of an ass. My personal oppinion (I met him years ago but dont know him) is that Larry has things to offer the billiard community and if he would stop trying to impress everyone he could probably help some people.

By what he has posted I think its safe to say he is a "my way or the highway" kind of instructor. He also states that he doesnt just take on anyone for a student and he basically has approve of you before you can take a lesson from him.

My suggestion would be talk to him online and see how you guys get along. Then, if you get his blessing /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif you might want to take a lesson and see how it goes. If you would like to talk to him you will find him HERE (http://www.billiards-pool.net/modules/newbb/) . A good teacher can adapt the lesson around a player while still incorporating their core belief's on playing pool. See if you agree with what he teaches, give it an honest effort and see if it improves your game.

If after reading his posts and talking with him you dont feel he is the one for you come back and maybe someone can suggest someone else in your area. There are a few instructors that post on here that may be able to point you in the right direction.

Woody

FrankW
09-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't know Fast Larry,but after reading alot of his post he is seems to be very cocky.He like to talk about him self alot and I also read where his status in the billiard world has been questioned.Anyways I think I will give him a call and see what he has to say. Thanks

Qtec
09-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Woody, you are too trusting.
Clues.
Theguys first post is "Who is Fast Larry".?
His third post is ,"Who is Fasts Larry".?
He posts first on the NPF just to make sure everyone sees it.
Tell him to search HERE or other billiards forums. Tell him to try Google! Believe me, it would take a Fast /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif reader 2 years to read it all! Thats not an exageration. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q

FrankW
09-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Did'nt take you long and you know nothing about me.I'm looking to improve my pool game I've contacted people like Monica Webb but I did not feel like it whould be fair to he to ask about another instuctor. opinions are like ass holes every one has one.I just want to improve I've played in only 1 turnament I played as a c+ to start they raised me to a B before the turnament was over I did' place in the money.I enjoy the game in my free time and I'm just looking to improve.

Qtec
09-09-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did'nt take you long and you know nothing about me <hr /></blockquote> It didnt take you long to get defensive.

Q...but you are right- it didnt take me long.

FrankW
09-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I 've just spoken with a pool room owner in Atlanta that knows Fast Larry.And he told Larry is a good guy that loves the game.I had him read the post here and he under stood why you whould think I was out to get this guy because someone else with an opinion talked trash about him and his ability.I don't know this person or persons I posted on the wrong form to begin with so I moved my post to the billiard side I mean no harm to anyone. I thought I was asking a simple question about lessons from someone close to my home. You think I'm setting up to bash someone I don't even know.So that tells me you like to judge people your self with out knowing anything about them.Good luck with the snooker Qtec.

woody_968
09-09-2005, 03:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Woody, you are too trusting.
<hr /></blockquote>

Probably so Q, I know people like to bring up FL just to see where the thread goes. But if Im going to misread someone I would rather let someone that is trying to just stir up trouble get away with it instead of offending someone that may be really asking for help. Im not hurt either way, but I figure if someone is really asking for help and I dont take them seriously then I am the ass.

And I think your time period for reading through all of FL posts is WAY short /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
09-09-2005, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Your post was made for one of two reasons. Either you know who Fast Larry is and your stirring %&amp;*$ or you dont know who he is and its an honest question.<hr /></blockquote>Woody, you missed one... "...or you are Fast Larry reincarnated yet again!"

He is overdue, I think.

Bob_Jewett
09-09-2005, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FrankW:</font><hr> A friend told me to look up Fast Larry ... <hr /></blockquote>
In my opinion, he's no friend, but I'm biased in this matter.

There are two problems, Frank. The first is how Larry behaves on the internet. If you look around a little, you will see that it goes far beyond "cocky" as you put it before. He is so nasty, so abusive, so profane on-line that he has been banned from all the moderated sites. You really have to work at it to get banned. In the newsgroup http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard , which is not moderated, he has gotten the name of "The Disease" and people there learn pretty quickly to ignore him. Maybe he's better in person. He could hardly be worse.

The other problem is a long history of people coming unannounced into discussion forums with the sole purpose of acting innocent but shilling for a product or individual. The way you have responded has all the earmarks of such a person.

Maybe you're legit, but it's really hard to tell on the internet.

pooltchr
09-09-2005, 07:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FrankW:</font><hr> I don't know Fast Larry,but after reading alot of his post he is seems to be very cocky.He like to talk about him self alot and I also read where his status in the billiard world has been questioned.Anyways I think I will give him a call and see what he has to say. Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

If you read "a lot" of his posts, and still say you want to call him, I'm amazed. There is a reason he has been banned from so many forums. With all the really good dedicated instructors available, why would you subject yourself to the kind of abuse he is so willing to dish out? There are at least a half dozen very good instructors who post regularly right here that will get high marks from a lot of folks here. California, Texas, Carolina, Oklahoma, Ohio are the homes of just a few...and then there is one who does nothing but travel the country teaching wherever he goes. If you want to learn something about the game, do a little research. I think you could make a more intelligent choice.
JMHO

Scott Lee
09-09-2005, 08:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> ...and then there is one who does nothing but travel the country teaching wherever he goes. <hr /></blockquote>

Gee Steve...who is that??? LOL See you next month in Charlotte!

Scott

Dagwood
09-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Frank, I've never met Larry myself...but have lurked on this board for a little over 4 years now. All I've seen out of him ONLINE is just sensless egotism, which, after a post or two in reply, turns into outright maliciousness. I'm not sure who said it above, but if his posting online is any indication, he is deffinitely a "my way or the highway" type of person. There is no room for interpretation. Now, granted, I've never met him in person, and have no clue how he is as an instructor. He may just be like this online. But it's too easy to let one's true nature come through online for me to just dismiss his nature of his posts and actions on this board.

IMHO, you were on the right track looking to take lessons from Monica, or if he is in the area, Scott Lee. I've talked with Scott over the phone, as I was looking to take lessons myself. He is very knowledgable from the game, and, at least to me on the phone and in his posts on the board, is very gracious. There are other instructors down that way, but I think those two right there are your best bets for some top flight instruction. Scott will give you the benefit of years of instruction experience, and Monica is more often in the area. (when she isn't traveling to any WPBA events.) If I read correctly from Scott's post on this thread, he's goign to be in Charlotte soon, which is in your neck of the woods. I'm sure if he's headed south, he wouldn't mind stoppig by to give a lesson or two. Don't forget that Johnny Archer also lives in the area, though I'm not sure if he gives lessons, and if they are reasonably priced. (he's a quiet kinda guy, so wheras the amount of knowledge he has may be extraodinary, his ability to impart it to you, or teach to you could be somewhat hampered. Good players don't nessecarily make good instructors.) Good luck finding an instructor...any instruction you get will help, no matter what your skill level.

Dags

theinel
09-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Having read many of Larry's toxic posts over the years and PLONKing as many of them as possible I'm sure it easily could have been a hoax but just in case it wasn't (okay trolls I'm biting) there were reports fairly recently that he had passed away. I just tried to confirm that before posting on this topic but couldn't.

Either way to the original poster, as has been said by others in this thread already, there are many high quality coaches/instructors that will treat and teach you much better.

FrankW
09-10-2005, 06:55 AM
I spoke with a few people at the local pool room last night about whom they whould choose to take lessons from in Atlanta most said Monica or Helena,Johny does not give lessons.Qtec I want to make it clear I have never talked trash about this guy Larry in any of my post nor will I.I don't talk about people that I don't know or never met.

woody_968
09-10-2005, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> there were reports fairly recently that he had passed away. <hr /></blockquote>

I know he posted on the internet yesterday, so either its not true or something really strange is going on LOL

wolfdancer
09-10-2005, 05:25 PM
"Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated!" Mark Twain/Fast Larry

hondo
09-12-2005, 06:17 AM
Excellent post, Woody. Very fair to FL and straight-
forward.