Qtec
09-09-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Court Rules U.S. Can Indefinitely Detain Citizens in Wartime
Ruling Comes in the Case of 'Enemy Combatant' Jose Padilla

By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 9, 2005; 4:12 PM

A federal appeals court ruled today that the president can indefinitely detain a U.S. citizen captured on U.S. soil in the absence of criminal charges, holding that such authority is vital during wartime to protect the nation from terrorist attacks.

The decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit came in the case of Jose Padilla, a former Chicago gang member who was arrested in Chicago in 2002 and designated an "enemy combatant" by President Bush. The government contends that Padilla trained at al Qaeda camps and was planning to blow up apartment buildings in the United States.

Padilla, a U.S. citizen, has been held without trial in a U.S. naval brig for more than three years, and his case triggered a legal battle with vast implications for civil liberties and the fight against terrorism.

Attorneys for Padilla and a host of civil liberties organizations blasted the detention as illegal and said it could lead to the military being allowed to hold anyone, from protesters to people who check out what the government considers the wrong books from the library.

Federal prosecutors asserted that Bush not only had the authority to order Padilla's detention but that such power is essential to preventing attacks. In its ruling today, the 4th Circuit overturned a lower court and came down squarely on the government's side.

A congressional resolution after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks "provided the President all powers necessary and appropriate to protect American citizens from terrorist attacks by those who attacked the United States on Sept. 11," the decision said. "Those powers include the power to detain identified and committed enemies such as Padilla, who associated with al Qaeda and the Taliban regime, who took up arms against this Nation in its war against these enemies, and who entered the United States for the avowed purpose of further prosecuting that war by attacking American citizens." <font color="red"> The guy has just been tried and convicted without a chance to defend himself. A US citizen! </font color>

The ruling by a three-judge panel limits the President's power to detain Padilla to the duration of hostilities against al Qaeda, but the Bush administration has said that war could go on indefinitely.

The decision was written by Judge J. Michael Luttig, who is one of a number of people under consideration by President Bush for nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court.

<hr /></blockquote>

Any US citizen can now be picked up, thrown in jail and locked up till the Govt determines that terrorism has been defeated! All they have to say is that you could be a threat. They dont have to prove anything. People are now being tried and convicted on a whim and often on something they might have been thinking about!!!!!!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

1984?

Q

Sleep tight guys.

Drop1
09-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I can understand Jose Padilla is being denied rights to a speedy trial. What I don't know is who are the people referred to in the post,that are being picked up tried,and convicted on a whim,often on some thing they might have been thinking about. All rights of all citizens have been suspended. War on terrorism,war on drugs,war on human rights. Can any nation so conceived,and so dedidicated long endure? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dagwood
09-09-2005, 10:03 PM
While the idea of what is suggested in your post is most deffinitely appalling, I just wanted to comment that the title of your post kinda irked me. I studey middle eastern culture, and count many friends among the Arab-american community. Not that anything in your post or previous posts say or imply this, but with everything going on overseas right now, people are more easily swung to the opinion that if someone is of Arab descent or is a muslim, they are evil or dangerous. The title just re-enforces this opinion. Everyone needs to keep in mind that these people who are inciting the poulations of Iraq and Afghanistan against the U.S. and coalition forces are NOT Muslim, and don't deserve to be called Arab, Persian, or Afghani. It's an insult to the rest of those populations to generalize them as such. Islam is not a religion of war and violence, but just the opposite; it's a religion of peace and forgivness. I'm rambling right now cause I'm tired, but all the same, the title of this post is inappropriate.

BTW...the reason that the majority of the muslims don't consider the extremists muslims is that they are killing people of the book, as all Christians, Muslims, and Jews are refered to. The Torah, Bible, and Koran all have incredible similarities and common characters such as Abraham, David, and Jesus. The major difference is that Jesus isn't considered the messiah, but just a prophet. They don't believe that god has walked the earth yet, but do believe that Jesus will come again. (wow...went off on a little tangent just to say that the title was inappropriate. Sorry for the diatride Q...didn't mean for it to get out of hand.)

Dags

onepocketfanatic
09-11-2005, 12:43 AM
The Patriot Act at work. This act has very far reaches, with a lot of them not having anything to do with terrorism!You gotta love our beloved law makers in Washington *very sacastic tone*. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

eg8r
09-12-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any US citizen can now be picked up, thrown in jail and locked up till the Govt determines that terrorism has been defeated! All they have to say is that you could be a threat. They dont have to prove anything. People are now being tried and convicted on a whim and often on something they might have been thinking about!!!!!!
<hr /></blockquote> We appreciate your shallow sympathy.

I think the terrorists of 9/11 have done a lot more than they ever expected. The new Patriot Act, and other laws that have been put into place in the name of "War on Terror" have surely diminished a lot of our rights and it is very frightening.

eg8r

eg8r
09-12-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While the idea of what is suggested in your post is most deffinitely appalling, I just wanted to comment that the title of your post kinda irked me. I studey middle eastern culture, and count many friends among the Arab-american community. Not that anything in your post or previous posts say or imply this, but with everything going on overseas right now, people are more easily swung to the opinion that if someone is of Arab descent or is a muslim, they are evil or dangerous. The title just re-enforces this opinion. Everyone needs to keep in mind that these people who are inciting the poulations of Iraq and Afghanistan against the U.S. and coalition forces are NOT Muslim, and don't deserve to be called Arab, Persian, or Afghani. It's an insult to the rest of those populations to generalize them as such. Islam is not a religion of war and violence, but just the opposite; it's a religion of peace and forgivness. I'm rambling right now cause I'm tired, but all the same, the title of this post is inappropriate.
<hr /></blockquote> I agree and disagree with a lot of what you have said. Not to back up Q because he does this to incite and for no other reason.

I agree with you that the terrorists should not be labeled as Muslims. However, where is CAIR and why aren't they shouting from the hilltops against these terrorists? Why isn't the Muslim world lambasting Al-jazeera (sp?) for glorifying what the terrorists are doing and have done? Why is the Muslim world so DARN QUIET about all of the terrorist activities?

Sure some are and have spoken out to defend themselves and their religion. The problem is that these people are spending more time defending themselves than REBUKING the terrorists. The voice of the muslim world right now is, "Hey we do not believe what the terrorists believe." A more resounding statment should be, "Hey, the terrorists are evil, anti-Muslim, and we will stand behind any nation who is willing to remove these scum from the earth." The muslim nation needs to quit defending themselves and help attack the terrorists.

eg8r