PDA

View Full Version : Best ferrule material?

02-21-2002, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm going to have a new cue built - does anyone know what ferrule material (aegis, macarta etc.) is the lightest weight? What length of ferrule and diameter of shaft/taper is best for producing the least cue ball squirt? I'm using a predator shaft now and I'm used to that amount of cue ball squirt. My intention is to have my new shaft play as close to the predator as possible. Thanks for your input...Bryan

TonyM
02-23-2002, 03:14 AM
Byan writes:

"I'm going to have a new cue built - does anyone know what ferrule material (aegis, macarta etc.) is the lightest weight?"

Well the thermoplastic materials like ABS, PVC, MP Ivory substitute etc., have less density than the typical phenolic based ferrule materials (Aegis, Ivorine etc.). I like Micarta (the paper laminate) because it is pretty low density, but very durable, and not a thermoplastic (they tend to scratch too easily).

"What length of ferrule and diameter of shaft/taper is best for producing the least cue ball squirt?"

Shaft taper has little or no effect on cue ball squirt, so choose whatever feels good for you.

The shorter the ferrule the better for squirt (Carom cues often have ferrules as little as 3/8" long or shorter). Smaller diameters are better (less mass).

It'll be hard to get a shaft with the low squirt characteristics of a Predator, without using the patented hole in the end of the shaft. But it can be done. Use a 12.0 mm(or smaller) diameter tip, and use a very short (1/4" is not too short) Micarta ferrule. This should be a low squirt solution that is not a patent infringement.

Another suggestion, why not get the cuemaker to intall a Predator shaft?

Tony

Cueless Joey
02-23-2002, 03:51 AM
"Shaft taper has little or no effect on cue ball squirt, so choose whatever feels good for you. "
Tony, how can this be true? Surely, a conventional shaft with a 15-inch constant "taper" will have more squirt than a 15-inch gradual cone taper.

TonyM
02-23-2002, 02:21 PM
Joey says:

"Surely, a conventional shaft with a 15-inch constant "taper" will have more squirt than a 15-inch gradual cone taper. "

No, the taper itself effects shafts stiffness, and feel through your fingers and other feedback effects that might be important to a player, but not the squirt.

This is because squirt is dependant on the ratio of the effective end-mass (which is actually a dynamic effect and somewhat complicated) to the ball mass.

Often conical shafts have smaller tips than pro taper (cylindrical) shafts, and therefore less end mass (smaller tip = less wood and ferrule = less mass). Since a conical shaft is usually stiffer than a cylindrical shaft, the stiffness is often mistaken as the mechanism.

It is possible to get low squirt with a very flexible, or very stiff shaft.

This is a good thing imo, as it allows shaft taper and stiffness to be an independant feature that can be chosen for other reasons, without a concern for squirt.

Tony

TomBrooklyn
02-23-2002, 02:41 PM
Tony,
I have a friend who shoots with a cue on on which he had the shaft turned down very thin. He's not sure what it is but thinks it's about 11mm and it looks at least 2mm smaller than the common 13mm to me, and my eye is pretty good at judging dimensions. It is very flexible. Personally, I don't care for the feel of it, but I wondered if it was a very low squirt causing shaft. Would you think so, theoretically at least?

02-23-2002, 05:28 PM
Tony - Thanks for the advice, I am having this cuemaker finish off a predator blank for me. I like the way my predator shaft performs but I like the looks of a nicely finished cuemakers shaft - but I would of course choose performance over looks...have two Scruggs shafts with 1" ivory ferrules that never leave my bag. - Bryan

TonyM
02-24-2002, 12:04 PM
Tom asks about his buddies super skinny ahaft and squirt:

"Would you think so, theoretically at least (it is very low squirt)?"

It depends on how much mass is towards the end of the shaft. Even a shaft with a very small diameter could be made to have excesive squirt if it had a solid massive ferrule. But if the ferrule is conventional (not ivory or brass or something equally massive) then yes it might be low squirt. Why not do the aim and pivot test and find out for yourself once and for all?

Tony