PDA

View Full Version : Scotch doulbes one pocket

onepocketfanatic
09-09-2005, 06:05 PM
A friend and I recently started challenging players that were at our level, or above (not world beaters mind you), to matches of one pocket (scotch doubles) for $10 per man per game. We decided on the $10 since this enough to make you play an honest game, but yet not enough that anyone is going to seriously get hurt (no car titles and such).
We have found that most other teams we play, tend to start bickering and moaning (at each other) when they make mistakes, or when we start beating them (because both opponents know they are better "ball makers" than we are). We have been having a blast playing this game, but we are finding that we are getting fewer people willing to play with us at the local halls we frequent.
Our "secret" is that we play our "own individual game" and try not to think too much, while the other teams tend to dwell on how to get "perfect" for their partner, and tend to screw up by thinking too much.
We have found that Scotch doubles is really a lot of fun, though most people would disagree.

Pied Piper
09-10-2005, 09:21 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I just started playing in a league, my first one, at london Billiards in Worcester, MA. I always avoided the leagues but liked playing tournaments and such. Basically the league is 8 games of 8-ball and then scotch 9 ball and then 3 ball. This was my first experience with scotch 9 in this type of setting. It was driving me nuts trying to play to my partner and not to the opponents. Basically I quickly figured that if i played the game and did not focus on anyone else but the game, it ended up playing out a lot nicer.

Voodoo Daddy
09-11-2005, 03:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketfanatic:</font><hr> A friend and I recently started challenging players that were at our level, or above (not world beaters mind you), to matches of one pocket (scotch doubles) for $10 per man per game. We decided on the $10 since this enough to make you play an honest game, but yet not enough that anyone is going to seriously get hurt (no car titles and such).
We have found that most other teams we play, tend to start bickering and moaning (at each other) when they make mistakes, or when we start beating them (because both opponents know they are better "ball makers" than we are). We have been having a blast playing this game, but we are finding that we are getting fewer people willing to play with us at the local halls we frequent.
Our "secret" is that we play our "own individual game" and try not to think too much, while the other teams tend to dwell on how to get "perfect" for their partner, and tend to screw up by thinking too much.
We have found that Scotch doubles is really a lot of fun, though most people would disagree. <hr /></blockquote>

In our home room, we have been playing partners One Pocket for years. Difference for us is we rotate partners every game and the man that racked the game before, breaks the following game. Dollar amount is determined before we start and cant go up until the rotation of partners is complete.