PDA

View Full Version : 3-ball

Pied Piper
09-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Ok, this is fairly basic and straight forward. 3-balls racked in a triangle. does anyone know an approach to the break the will provide the best results (lowest number of shots). I tried just powering it and also playing a soft break. But aiming at the pack for the most effective is giving me grief. ( don't have a lot of time to practice). How would you play the shots?

cueball1950
09-10-2005, 01:46 PM
I play 3 ball all the time. I have on several occasions made all 3 balls on the break. And yes i can prove it as when we play we always have 3 minimum players and most times 4 players. when i break playing 3 ball i always break from the side rail near the 2nd diamond down on the rail and i aim for the 1st diamond on the opposite side short rail. And then i break about 3/4 speed. when i break i aim right thru the rack as if the rack is not there.. i hope this helps you out. this is the only help i can give. Seems to work for me..................................mike

Pied Piper
09-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks I think I know what you mean. I tried that before someone else suggested it to me while I was shooting it. One ball stayed down table, and the other two did a three railer each to bring them back down near the rack. I guess I'll just keep practicing that shot. Have you had any success going into the back of the pack or into side via rail first?

woody_968
09-10-2005, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pied Piper:</font><hr> Have you had any success going into the back of the pack or into side via rail first? <hr /></blockquote>

Ive had alot of success because of that shot, but its been because of the other people using it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
09-10-2005, 05:36 PM
I have to agre with woody on this one. if my opponent wants to try that. I will even help him. cuz it is only going to help me better in the end. but i will say that i have only used the rail first break in 1 pocket. if you get that break down you can legally safe your opponent on the break every time. a lot of players don't like that break shot cuz of it. BTW, alan hopkins showed me that shot..............mike

addity
09-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I don't know if this'll work, but i occasionally play billiards on the computer (the terra games one) and when i break from about 1 diamond from the left rail, almost to the kitchen line, the 3 ball goes towards the far right corner pocket, off 2 rails, back up table to the closest left corner pocket, off 2 rails, then back down in the far right corner pocket.

I make the 3 ball maybe 99% of the time (occasionally gets kicked by another ball) The game is very sharp with the physics in my opinion, so i dont think its a glitch. But it only works in a specific spot.

goodluck

sneakypapi
09-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Can someone tell how 3 ball is played? Is it a timed game or least amount of shots to make the 3 balls? or both? I have heard of the game but never played it.

Pied Piper
09-11-2005, 09:17 AM
rack 3 balls into a mini triangle on the foot spot. Now run them out in the least amount of shots, with the break counting as 1! Great way to determine a tie breaker or something to that affect. Fun to place bets with too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
09-11-2005, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sneakypapi:</font><hr> Can someone tell how 3 ball is played? <hr /></blockquote>

Its the least strokes, every shot counts as a stroke and if you scratch you add a stroke. We used to play with several people in the game. One dollar per round, and one tie all tie. That meant if 8 guys made 4 or higher, but two guys made 3, EVERYBODY put another dollar in the pot and played the next round. The pots would build up pretty high sometimes considering we were only playing 3ball lol.

Normally 5 was givin as an automatic score.

We always kept the same rotaion to make it easy to remember whos turn it was, and had the winner from the last round start the next one.

The more players you can get in the game the more you will enjoy it.

smfsrca
09-11-2005, 11:49 AM
There is one break shot that is close to being on.
Break from either side rail.
The corner ball opposite that side rail will go 4 rails back to the bottom corner pocket.
The primary variables that prevent success are rack skew and break speed.