PDA

View Full Version : PettyPoint in Billiards Digest!

SPetty
09-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Well, looks like I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into my 15 minutes of fame.

As some of you know, I have a home pool room, the PettyPoint Pool Hall. Also, as some of you know, at the urging of friends I entered it into Billiards Digest magazine's Architectural & Design contest for Best New Home Room.

They called me two days after they received my entry (!) and asked if they could feature it in their "game room" issue in October. They said that was better because it would be maybe three pages in October rather than maybe one page for possibly winning the contest in November.

PettyPoint Pool Hall in Billiards Digest magazine? It's my understanding that they want to use it talk about how to put together a room "on the cheap". Yeah, whatever. (Hint, based on how the interrogation, I mean, interview went, it sounds like it's going to end up being an eBay commercial...) Of course, I'm not sure how I feel about being called cheap (especially after spending all that money!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyway, I don't know what the story will be, how long it will be, what pictures they will show, or what they're saying about it, so I'm taking a risk in announcing it here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I just wanted to let you know so that if you take Billiards Digest magazine, you can look for PettyPoint Pool Hall next month!

They're still going to allow my entry into the Best New Home Room contest. I'll know more about whether I've placed in that in a few weeks. But cross your fingers - it sounded like they liked it...

woody_968
09-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Thats great! Im happy for you, just wish I lived close enough to check it out in person /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

poolturtle
09-10-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's my understanding that they want to use it talk about how to put together a room "on the cheap". Yeah, whatever. (Hint, based on how the interrogation, I mean, interview went, it sounds like it's going to end up being an eBay commercial...) Of course, I'm not sure how I feel about being called cheap (especially after spending all that money!) <hr /></blockquote>

If they consider your room an inexpensive(cheap is so dimeaning) build, I'd hate to see what they consider an expensive room!

Maybe marble floors, gold trim, and true diamond inlays for the "diamonds."

Again, congrats on the article. I don't have a subscription yet, but I'm gonna be sure to find a copy. (They don't carry it in my home town.

JDB
09-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey Spetty,

I am in the process of finishing my garage to accomodate a game/pool room.

If you have some pictures available, could you either post them or send me them in a PM?

I am just looking for some ideas. The garage is approximately 20' by 22', so I don't have a lot of extra room, but I would love to see some of your pics if you have them.

Thanks.

Rich R.
09-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Congrats SPetty.

I guess the word "cheap" is relative.
A number of years ago, I added onto my home to, in part, make room for a pool table. I know what that addition cost.
I can only imagine what Petty Point cost. Some day I dream of winning the lottery and being able to consider that cheap.

I'm looking forward to seeing the article and seeing you win the contest.

cueball1950
09-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Spetty....glad to hear it. and from what i have seen. "cheap is no way to describe it" maybe someday i can get a chance to play a little with you when i stop by.....mike

cueball1950
09-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Well rich and kathy,,, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif,when i hit the lottery all my friends are going to share in it with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif especially my favorite tv couple. so when i hit it please let me know what you need or want.....................mike

Rich R.
09-10-2005, 08:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Well rich and kathy,,, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif,when i hit the lottery all my friends are going to share in it with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif especially my favorite tv couple. so when i hit it please let me know what you need or want.....................mike <hr /></blockquote>
Mike, we'll discuss that, the day after you hit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
09-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to see pics in my next BD issue! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck!!!

Wendy&lt;---loves the Best Little Pool House in Texas...

Brian in VA
09-11-2005, 07:26 AM
SPetty,
That is so cool! I can't wait to have the opportunity to play at the "soon to be famous" Petty Point Pool Hall!

Best Regards!
Brian in VA - hankering for some Texas barbecue and Texans!

ceebee
09-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Congrats to you Spetty..

Those of us, who have been fortunate enough to attend a party at the PPPH, know there isn't anything in 50 yards of the SPOT on the 9 Foot Diamond pro, including the great building, which could be considered cheap. You would have had to come with Gold, Silver, Ivory &amp; Rubys to make the thing anymore expensive.

The satisfaction here may be that any kind of FAME is said to be better than NO FAME at all. I'm sure BD folks will do you right. One more thing Spetty, please don't purchase all the issues....

SPetty
09-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Well, "cheap" was the word I used. I believe they used the more acceptable "economical". Apparently, some folks budget upwards of $70,000 for their pool room. PPPH came in less than that. I suspect they're going to tell you in the article what we spent on it.

Woody - you're welcome any time.
JDB - People have posted pics here on the board you can probably find by doing a search if you don't want to wait for the issue. It's my understanding that the entire issue is supposed to be ideas for game rooms.
Rich R. - It cost less than "normal" because LeRoy did it pretty much all himself (and I helped!). Not something most people have the time or knowledge to do.
cueball1950 - Stop on by any time, but please call first!

Everyone else - thanks so very much for the kind words.

Rich R.
09-11-2005, 06:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Rich R. - It cost less than "normal" because LeRoy did it pretty much all himself (and I helped!). Not something most people have the time or knowledge to do.<hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, the sweat equity put into the project by you and Leroy is worth as much or more than the materials. Just because you didn't pay someone to do the work, doesn't mean the work has no value. I hope they consider that when they make their "economical" assessment of PPPH.

eg8r
09-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Congrats SPetty!!! This is great news. I will now have to go hunt down a copy to read about it. Having been lucky enough to shoot a few games at PettyPoint, I hope their article does your beautiful room justice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Barbara
09-12-2005, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>PettyPoint Pool Hall in Billiards Digest magazine? It's my understanding that they want to use it talk about how to put together a room "on the cheap". Yeah, whatever. (Hint, based on how the interrogation, I mean, interview went, it sounds like it's going to end up being an eBay commercial...) Of course, I'm not sure how I feel about being called cheap (especially after spending all that money!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty,

I don't believe they meant "on the cheap" at all. I think they're going after "on your own" as opposed to sitting down with an architect to design a room and then hiring a contractor to build it. You and LeRoy built PPPH practically all on your own. How many other home rooms in this contest can say the same?

Barbara

DickLeonard
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
SPetty I first thought they thought your room was glitsy will all the pool memorabile hanging on the wall instead of VanGoghs pool scenes and a few Reniors hanging to add balance. I never thought snobbery went with Pool I thought that was reserved for Golf.

I did see an episode of Will and Grace this week that had a
beautiful Brunswick Condquistador Model Table in a lovely game room,maybe that is what they are looking for.####

wolfdancer
09-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Congratulations on your room being selected by BD !!!
I'll have to break down and buy a copy, to check it out. I had submitted my own (garage) room, but I guess the lawn mower, and garbage can weren't considered upscale enough accuetrements, for a home rec room. I thought maybe the picture of the dogs playing pool, might get me in, but...
Actually, here's the pix I do have hanging:
legal action (http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/PF_NEW%5C08_24_2005_A/PF_1237467.jpg) almost as bad

dg-in-centralpa
09-12-2005, 05:02 PM
SPetty- now that you'll be "Famous", don't forget all your friends here. LOL One of these days I must get to see PPPH. Congratulations on the article and good luck with the contest.

DG

ryushen21
09-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Congratulaiotns SPetty! In all honesty i'm not surprised that there wasn't more of a buzz around PPPH prior to all this. But the attention is very well deserved. You've got a one of a kind place that no one else could ever copy.

As for "cheap" or "economical," anyone who has been there can tell you just how rich the place really is. And there is no doubt about that. I hope the article does justice to what PPPH really is.

cueball1950
09-12-2005, 10:29 PM
no problem spetty. i never go where i am not invited or have atleast called first..............................mike

Cane
09-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Happy for you Spetty... If anyones personal game room deserves to be notices, it's Petty Point Pool Hall! Billie and I love every minute that we get to come visit. Only thing Billie does NOT enjoy is when we get home, I ponder bulldozing the shop and apartment behind our house and building one of my own! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

Eric.
09-13-2005, 01:55 PM
IT's a beautiful room, SPetty. You have my vote!

Eric

9 Ball Girl
09-13-2005, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> IT's a beautiful room, SPetty. You have my vote!

Eric <hr /></blockquote>One day you're going to have to experience it!

Eric.
09-13-2005, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> IT's a beautiful room, SPetty. You have my vote!

Eric <hr /></blockquote>One day you're going to have to experience it! <hr /></blockquote>

Ya know? I'm disappointed that I missed the Chili cookoff, especially since I believe I started the "who also has a good chili recipe" flame war /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

Barbara
09-27-2005, 05:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Well, looks like I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into my 15 minutes of fame.

They're still going to allow my entry into the Best New Home Room contest. I'll know more about whether I've placed in that in a few weeks. But cross your fingers - it sounded like they liked it...

<hr /></blockquote>

Well? Any news to report??

Barbara

ras314
09-27-2005, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Well, looks like I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into my 15 minutes of fame.

<hr /></blockquote>

Well? Any news to report??

Barbara

<hr /></blockquote>
I thought the Oct. issue was out? Mine is always a week late. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich R.
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I thought the Oct. issue was out? Mine is always a week late. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>
The Oct. issue is out, although I have not received mine in the mail yet. They have them on the tables, in the VIP sections, for the final day of the U.S. Open.
Although SPetty wasn't at the Open in body, she was there in spirit, through the magazine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA
09-28-2005, 05:06 AM
SPetty,
I managed to get the early issue at the Open and there is your beautiful Petty Point Pool Hall displayed in all it's glory. The article does a great job of letting everyone know your secrets for creating a great playground without breaking the bank. The shots look terrific, your quotes sound intelligent and I can't wait until I'm able to get out to TX to see it live. Congratulations!

Brian in VA

SPetty
09-28-2005, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Well? Any news to report??<hr /></blockquote>Yep - PettyPoint Pool Hall has been selected as the first place winner in the Billiards Digest Architecture &amp; Design contest Best New Home Room category! You should see that in the November issue, along with a "short article". Yeah, it'll probably say "See last month."! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Really, though, Mason promises not to give it "short shrift" in the November issue. Wasn't "short shrift" a fashion style in the late 60's? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>Mine is always a week late.<hr /></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>I have not received mine in the mail yet.<hr /></blockquote>It's my understanding that all the October issues are running a little late this month.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr>The shots look terrific, your quotes sound intelligent and I can't wait until I'm able to get out to TX to see it live.<hr /></blockquote>I took the pictures with my new camera that I learned about right here on the CCB! Mason did a good job on the article if he could make my quotes sound intelligent... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif You're welcome here any time - in fact, I've got a tie here just waiting for you... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit:
Oh, and I did notice in the article that they borrowed the words I used above -&gt; "on the cheap"!

Deeman3
09-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Congratulations!!!! Just goes to show you some people still have good judgement.

Whew! Now a lot more people know what many of us have been fortunate enough to experience, PettyPoint is the greatest!

Deeman /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA
09-28-2005, 11:19 AM
SPetty,

I think they did say "on the cheap" and marveled about your skills at shopping from Ebay as well as local thrift stores.

I'm embarrased to admit I forgot to bring and wear your tie this year but I'm sure only because you weren't coming. I'd only wear it for you! Assuming you'd tie me up with it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Brian in VA - jonesing to go to PettyPoint

pooltchr
09-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Susan,
I just got my copy and loved the article. You guys have a great place, and I'm happy to see you get some recognition for your hard work.
Good Job!!
Steve

Sid_Vicious
09-29-2005, 07:08 AM
Congrats Spetty! Sounds like a good excuse for a celebrational pool party to me ;-) sid

CarolNYC
10-04-2005, 01:50 AM
Spetty,
You hvae the BEST damn pool room,girl!

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigRigTom
10-05-2005, 07:12 AM
I have subscribed to the Billiards Digest finally in spite of the poor subscription system ( I subscribed online, they lost it, I called and they misplaced the phone order, I called again and they screwed up the info when recording my debit card info and as a result rejected it because they thought it was expired, I faxed them and no one responded, I called about the fax and finally Jennifer (who answered the phone) when on a search and destroy mission, found my faxed info and put thru the subscription!@#$@$#@#%^&amp;**()...long story short......looks like I didn't get subscribed in time to get the issue with Petty Point in it.

Does anyone have the ability to post it on this board?

dr_dave
10-05-2005, 07:19 AM
If it is Ok with SPetty, I can clear it with BD and post the article.

SPetty, let me know if this is Ok with you.

Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I have subscribed to the Billiards Digest finally in spite of the poor subscription system ( I subscribed online, they lost it, I called and they misplaced the phone order, I called again and they screwed up the info when recording my debit card info and as a result rejected it because they thought it was expired, I faxed them and no one responded, I called about the fax and finally Jennifer (who answered the phone) when on a search and destroy mission, found my faxed info and put thru the subscription!@#$@$#@#%^&amp;**()...long story short......looks like I didn't get subscribed in time to get the issue with Petty Point in it.

Does anyone have the ability to post it on this board? <hr /></blockquote>

dr_dave
10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
I got permission from both SPetty (via PM) and the editor at BD (via phone), so I've posted the article online (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/resources/pettypoint_poolroom.pdf).

Enjoy,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> If it is Ok with SPetty, I can clear it with BD and post the article.

SPetty, let me know if this is Ok with you.

Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr>Does anyone have the ability to post it on this board? <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Eric.
10-05-2005, 09:37 AM
What a beautiful room. Nevermind *Susan's* quote about it not being fancy or ritzy, this is the most impressive home poolroom I have ever seen. Truly a players homeroom!

Good job, SPetty.

Eric &gt;*Susan* /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Dude, you've gotta be there to really feel it! Hey SPetty, I've got a voucher from United Airlines so just let me know the day and time and I'm there, baby!

Enjoy the issues! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SPetty
10-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Dave. Gee, it scanned in kinda dark and ugly, didn't it? My (brand new still in the box) scanner could probably scan it in better. Did you happen to get permission for me to post it on my personal web site as well? The magazine article looks a lot better in person than it does in Dave's PDF file.

Mason did a fine job on the article, don't you think?

SPetty
10-05-2005, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>*Susan*<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, sounds funny, don't it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I actually asked them to use "SPetty" - it's been my nickname since college - but it's "against their policy". /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I still think that if some guy said "My name is Cecil, but call me Buddy" that they'd use "Buddy". This is no different, but was hardly worth the effort to argue...

Other than that, I think Mason did a fine job on the article with what he had to work with!

Rich R.
10-05-2005, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>I still think that if some guy said "My name is Cecil, but call me Buddy" that they'd use "Buddy". This is no different, but was hardly worth the effort to argue... <hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, from your post, I'm not sure if you knew it or not, but, for those who don't know, they substitue "Buddy" for "Cecil" all of the time.

Cecil P. "Buddy" Hall
http://www.buddyhall.com/

wolfdancer
10-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Say, the room is great, and I can see why they selected yours over mine...although mine does have a little bit more rustic charm.
And the jukebox really is the piece de resistance. My friends Dad &amp; Mom are in the antique business, and old time jukebox collectors....some for sale, some they can't part with. I've been wanting one myself, ever since I saw some of theirs.
'course I'd have to either get rid of the lawn mower, or the garbage cans to find room for one.....but when you get tired of yours, give me a call.
Great room, i'm sure you get a ton of enjoyment from it....
While yours came in at slightly under $50k; it's hard to put a monetary value on mine. Besides the table, I spent almost a hundred on the lights....another $23 for my voice activated on/off switch (bet you don't have one)...then there was the paint on sale at True Value...around $40...I'm letting it age before applying it......the floor carpet, another $100 from Home Depot (toys for big boys) and $50 for two bottles of Bombay gin, which helped me to coordinate all the design elements.
and the design itself....priceless

dr_dave
10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Thanks, Dave.<hr /></blockquote>
You're very welcome. It is the least I could do to thank you again for the wonderful hospitality you showed me when I visited this summer.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Gee, it scanned in kinda dark and ugly, didn't it?<hr /></blockquote>
Sorry about that. I used this fancy "Digital Sender" machine ... you stick in a document and it sends you a PDF file by e-mail.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>My (brand new still in the box) scanner could probably scan it in better.<hr /></blockquote>
I bet you're right.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Did you happen to get permission for me to post it on my personal web site as well?<hr /></blockquote>
I did not explicity ask permission for you, but I would be shocked if Mason objected. Feel free to call him or send a e-mail if you want to be sure. PM me if you need his contact info.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>The magazine article looks a lot better in person than it does in Dave's PDF file.<hr /></blockquote>
Agreed!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Mason did a fine job on the article, don't you think?<hr /></blockquote>I think Mason always does a great job with his articles.

Regards,
Dave

Deeman3
10-05-2005, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Say, the room is great, and I can see why they selected yours over mine...although mine does have a little bit more rustic charm.
And the jukebox really is the piece de resistance. My friends Dad &amp; Mom are in the antique business, and old time jukebox collectors....some for sale, some they can't part with. I've been wanting one myself, ever since I saw some of theirs.
'course I'd have to either get rid of the lawn mower, or the garbage cans to find room for one.....but when you get tired of yours, give me a call.
Great room, i'm sure you get a ton of enjoyment from it.... <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Wolfdancer,

One of the nicest things about PettyPoint is that there is no compromise on space. You don't ever worry about clearance around the tables (unless Chopstick or Scott Lee have been drinking), the place just feels good and you can see everything at once while watching both tables. The tables are far enough apart to allow completely separate games but close enough to allow rude comments toward people at the other table. If seating is tight during a full blown CCB mini-tournament, you can even grab a neat seat on the stairs and oversee it all. The porch is perfect to sit around and trade lies while recovering from a tough loss. The hot dog carosell combined with the fridge, bar and juke box makes it seem like a professional designer took some great pains. I have been fortunate enough to play in private rooms all over the world and PettyPoint is just more of pool players place than any other I have seen, hands down. "This is Aimes, Mister, no pinball, no politics (my words) just pool."

I'll always measure any other place by Spetty's....the bar is pretty damn high.</font color>

Deeman

wolfdancer
10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Dee, if i had the $$, i'd want a room just like it...and I think it's great that so many of the CCB'rs have had the chance to visit and enjoy. But the bar being a little high.....that's dangerous, a guy could get seriously injured...well, buckle up.
I sent SPetty a few pix of my room, awhile back....and while it was hard for her to keep the sheer envy out of her return
pm, she handled it quite well

Fran Crimi
10-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Congratulations! And also on winning 'Best New Room.' That's a great setup you have there.

Looking forward to seeing the Nov. article.

Fran