PDA

View Full Version : A Letter To All Who Voted For Bush...

9 Ball Girl
09-12-2005, 07:51 AM
...by Michael Moore

To All My Fellow Americans Who Voted for George W. Bush:

On this, the fourth anniversary of 9/11, I'm just curious, how does it feel?

How does it feel to know that the man you elected to lead us after we were attacked went ahead and put a guy in charge of FEMA whose main qualification was that he ran horse shows?

That's right. Horse shows.

I really want to know -- and I ask you this in all sincerity and with all due respect -- how do you feel about the utter contempt Mr. Bush has shown for your safety? C'mon, give me just a moment of honesty. Don't start ranting on about how this disaster in New Orleans was the fault of one of the poorest cities in America. Put aside your hatred of Democrats and liberals and anyone with the last name of Clinton. Just look me in the eye and tell me our President did the right thing after 9/11 by naming a horse show runner as the top man to protect us in case of an emergency or catastrophe.

I want you to put aside your self-affixed label of Republican/conservative/born-again/capitalist/ditto-head/right-winger and just talk to me as an American, on the common ground we both call America.

Are we safer now than before 9/11? When you learn that behind the horse show runner, the #2 and #3 men in charge of emergency preparedness have zero experience in emergency preparedness, do you think we are safer?

When you look at Michael Chertoff, the head of Homeland Security, a man with little experience in national security, do you feel secure?

When men who never served in the military and have never seen young men die in battle send our young people off to war, do you think they know how to conduct a war? Do they know what it means to have your legs blown off for a threat that was never there?

Do you really believe that turning over important government services to private corporations has resulted in better services for the people?

Why do you hate our federal government so much? You have voted for politicians for the past 25 years whose main goal has been to de-fund the federal government. Do you think that cutting federal programs like FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers has been good or bad for America? GOOD OR BAD?

With the nation's debt at an all-time high, do you think tax cuts for the rich are still a good idea? Will you give yours back so hundreds of thousands of homeless in New Orleans can have a home?

Do you believe in Jesus? Really? Didn't he say that we would be judged by how we treat the least among us? Hurricane Katrina came in and blew off the facade that we were a nation with liberty and justice for all. The wind howled and the water rose and what was revealed was that the poor in America shall be left to suffer and die while the President of the United States fiddles and tells them to eat cake.

That's not a joke. The day the hurricane hit and the levees broke, Mr. Bush, John McCain and their rich pals were stuffing themselves with cake. A full day after the levees broke (the same levees whose repair funding he had cut), Mr. Bush was playing a guitar some country singer gave him. All this while New Orleans sank under water.

It would take ANOTHER day before the President would do a flyover in his jumbo jet, peeking out the widow at the misery 2500 feet below him as he flew back to his second home in DC. It would then be TWO MORE DAYS before a trickle of federal aid and troops would arrive. This was no seven minutes in a sitting trance while children read "My Pet Goat" to him. This was FOUR DAYS of doing nothing other than saying "Brownie (FEMA director Michael Brown), you're doing a heck of a job!"

My Republican friends, does it bother you that we are the laughing stock of the world?

And on this sacred day of remembrance, do you think we honor or shame those who died on 9/11/01? If we learned nothing and find ourselves today every bit as vulnerable and unprepared as we were on that bright sunny morning, then did the 3,000 die in vain?

Our vulnerability is not just about dealing with terrorists or natural disasters. We are vulnerable and unsafe because we allow one in eight Americans to live in horrible poverty. We accept an education system where one in six children never graduate and most of those who do can't string a coherent sentence together. The middle class can't pay the mortgage or the hospital bills and 45 million have no health coverage whatsoever.

Are we safe? Do you really feel safe? You can only move so far out and build so many gated communities before the fruit of what you've sown will be crashing through your walls and demanding retribution. Do you really want to wait until that happens? Or is it your hope that if they are left alone long enough to soil themselves and shoot themselves and drown in the filth that fills the street that maybe the problem will somehow go away?

I know you know better. You gave the country and the world a man who wasn't up for the job and all he does is hire people who aren't up for the job. You did this to us, to the world, to the people of New Orleans. Please fix it. Bush is yours. And you know, for our peace and safety and security, this has to be fixed. What do you propose?

I have an idea, and it isn't a horse show.

Yours,
Michael Moore
www.michaelmoore.com
mmflint@aol.com

Qtec
09-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Sad but true.

Q

Stretch
09-12-2005, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Sad but true.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Agreed Q. Given all the troubles in my own Country, when i compare it to Bush's USA. Whoa! That's just plain insane. I'm appreciating my own homeland more and more, these days. St.

Chopstick
09-12-2005, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Sad but true.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, it's sad that anyone would spend any time listening to Michael Moore. I don't.

Fasteddy7
09-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Although I dont like Moore and his ways, some of the questions posed should make all of us lift an eyebrow and seek out the answers. Maybe he is full of BS again. I always like to sit back listen to the information, take the spin out, and formulate my own opinions. Without people like moore, we all live in happy land and never address some of the very good arguments he poses.

Gayle in MD
09-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Tap Tap Tap, very true indeed. Now, all we have to do is figure out what we must do in order to get the right to take off their collective blinders.

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
09-13-2005, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tap Tap Tap, very true indeed. Now, all we have to do is figure out what we must do in order to get the right to take off their collective blinders.
<hr /></blockquote> Why, so we can all put on your collective blinders?

eg8r

Chopstick
09-13-2005, 11:29 AM
OK Fasteddy, I read it. I do not see one valid point that he made in the entire thing. In fact, all I think he did was to make a fool of himself. He just strung together a bunch of statements designed to invoke emotional responses from people. He didn't present any ideas or proposals that would in any way effect positive changes in anything. He said he has an idea and doesn't say what it is. He doesn't need an idea to line his pockets and he's doing it at America's expense.

Back in the sixties. They all said "Let's bring down the establishment. Let's rebel against the Man." This is just the same crap repackaged and commercialized.

Ranting about who did what accomplishes nothing. No individual or group is the solution to anything. What is required are practical proposals on the table. People like this guy are never going to have anything to offer.

ras314
09-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Another View of the New Orleans disaster....don't know who originated this version:

The chain of responsibility for the protection of the citizens in New Orleans is:

1. The Mayor
2. The New Orleans director of Homeland Security (a political appointee of the Governor - who reports TO the Governor)
3. The Governor
4. The Head of Homeland Security
5. The President

What did each do?
1. The mayor, with 5 days advance, waited until 2 days before he announced a mandatory evacuation (at the behest of the President). Then he failed to provide transportation for those without transport even though he had hundreds of buses at his disposal.

2. The New Orleans director of Homeland Security failed to have any plan for a contingency that has been talked about for 50 years. Then he blames the Feds for not doing what he should have done. (So much for political appointees)

3. The Governor (despite a declaration of disaster by the President 2 DAYS BEFORE the storm hit) failed to take advantage of the offer of Federal troops and aid offered by our President - until 2 DAYS AFTER the storm hit.

4. The Director of Homeland Security positioned assets in the area to be ready when the Governor called for them. At one point, the Red Cross had a truck full of food, water and supplies ready to go into the worst areas of New Orleans but the Governor turned it back.

5. The President urged a mandatory evacuation, and even declared a DISASTER STATE of EMERGENCY, freeing up millions of dollars of federal assistance, should the Governor decide to use it.

Oh and by the way, the levees that broke were the responsibility of the local landowners and the local levee board to maintain, NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

Gayle in MD
09-13-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't know either, Tom Delay, maybe? Whomever wrote it, it is BS.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
09-14-2005, 04:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I don't know either, Tom Delay, maybe? Whomever wrote it, it is BS.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

A thoughtful, fact filled response!
Good Answer, Gayle!

Sid_Vicious
09-14-2005, 05:40 AM
"Oh and by the way, the levees that broke were the responsibility of the local landowners and the local levee board to maintain, NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT"

So you are saying that once the death machine was in gear and people drowning, the feds were any less than response-able to save those Americans in NO? Real time Ras, people were dying RIGHT then. It was and will be out feds immediate responsibility to respond, no matter what happens before, dying Americans are dying Americans!!!sid

eg8r
09-14-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you are saying that once the death machine was in gear and people drowning, the feds were any less than response-able to save those Americans in NO? <hr /></blockquote> It is obvious you completely missed his point.

eg8r

DickLeonard
09-14-2005, 06:59 AM
NineBallGirl, What do you thimk that the muslims are praying for when they get on their knees 5 times a day. That
nothing but goodness shall prevail in the land of their Occupiers.

I think their prayers have been answered and if it brings the Bush Presidency to an end their prayers really have been answered.####

ras314
09-14-2005, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Oh and by the way, the levees that broke were the responsibility of the local landowners and the local levee board to maintain, NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT"

So you are saying that once the death machine was in gear and people drowning, the feds were any less than response-able to save those Americans in NO? Real time Ras, people were dying RIGHT then. It was and will be out feds immediate responsibility to respond, no matter what happens before, dying Americans are dying Americans!!!sid <hr /></blockquote>
Sid, what that quote said was that the federal government was not responsible for maintaining the levees in New Orleans. No claims whatsoever as to what entity is immediately required to respond to lives being lost.

The rest of the email contained in my post appears politically inclined towards Democratic bashing (spin control?)so I would like to know if the 5 statements are in fact true.

Sid_Vicious
09-14-2005, 07:53 AM
"if it brings the Bush Presidency to an end their prayers really have been answered"

###,,,In this situation...I am on their side. Bush is dangerous for the whole world, and that definitely includes the US. The sooner he's replaced the sooner this idiotically led country can begin to finally have some competency in leadership. Bush is an embarrassment, no ifs ands or but except for one, BUT he is mainly dangerous for our welfare. As it's been stated many times, Bush is the worst president this country has ever had...sid

Chopstick
09-14-2005, 12:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I would like to know if the 5 statements are in fact true. <hr /></blockquote>

ras, these items are a matter of public record, and as such anyone who cares to can verify them for themselves. As you can see from the responses and attitudes on this board, many are not interested in doing so.

1. The mayor, with 5 days advance, waited until 2 days before he announced a mandatory evacuation (at the behest of the President). Then he failed to provide transportation for those without transport even though he had hundreds of buses at his disposal.<font color="blue">This is true and well documented. </font color>

2. The New Orleans director of Homeland Security failed to have any plan for a contingency that has been talked about for 50 years. Then he blames the Feds for not doing what he should have done. (So much for political appointees)<font color="blue">This is also true. In fact, he is the one who first said "This is a national disgrace". No doubt to divert attention from the fact that he wasn't doing his job. Louisiana officials have admitted that they did not have a contingency plan. He also could have had the busses put into action and did not.</font color>

3. The Governor (despite a declaration of disaster by the President 2 DAYS BEFORE the storm hit) failed to take advantage of the offer of Federal troops and aid offered by our President - until 2 DAYS AFTER the storm hit.<font color="blue">This is also true. In fact, the aid was refused by the Governor. At this point, the President is restrained, BY LAW, from sending in federal troops against the wishes of the state governor. </font color>

4. The Director of Homeland Security positioned assets in the area to be ready when the Governor called for them. At one point, the Red Cross had a truck full of food, water and supplies ready to go into the worst areas of New Orleans but the Governor turned it back.<font color="blue">Also true. Here's what the Red Cross said.

"The Homeland Security Department has requested and continues to request that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans," said Renita Hosler, spokeswoman for the Red Cross.

"Right now access is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities. We have been at the table every single day [asking for access]. We cannot get into New Orleans against their orders." </font color>

5. The President urged a mandatory evacuation, and even declared a DISASTER STATE of EMERGENCY, freeing up millions of dollars of federal assistance, should the Governor decide to use it. <font color="blue">This is also true. I saw this my self. </font color>

<font color="blue">So, you have to ask, if the New Orleans officials had all this help available, why didn't they use it. I got the answer today from the Louisiana National Guard. When these resources get activated, New Orleans and the state of Louisiana have to pay for them out of their budgets. The plain and simple fact at the bottom of all of this is that the New Orleans parrish didn't want to spend the money if they could get away with not having to.</font color>

Gayle in MD
09-15-2005, 05:18 AM
Just a few additions. In the first place, LA. has been trying to get money allocated to the state to fis the levee system for years.

In the second place the president can do whatever he deems necessary in national disasters, at any time.

Gayle in Md.

Sid_Vicious
09-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Amen! sid

ras314
09-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks Chopstick. Does the state and/or parrish have to pay both the Louisiana national guard and red cross? Even now with some 70 billion in federal money available?

wolfdancer
09-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Yes, it's true I voted for Mr. Bush, believing that he was the right man for the job, and that the people both needed and deserved him.
Unfortunately, since I never lived in the great state of Texas, my Bush for Governor vote, was disallowed.

Chopstick
09-16-2005, 06:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Thanks Chopstick. Does the state and/or parrish have to pay both the Louisiana national guard and red cross? Even now with some 70 billion in federal money available? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know about that part of it. I wish HighSea was still around. He would probably know how that stuff works. I see a lot of people talking about all over the internet. No seems to really know details of the actual processes the State and Federal governments follow when something like this happens. If I find out I'll let you know.

I always thought the Federal government handled everything. I was really surprised to find out they didn't.

heater451
09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>. . .No seems to really know details of the actual processes the State and Federal governments follow when something like this happens. . . I always thought the Federal government handled everything. I was really surprised to find out they didn't.<hr /></blockquote>The Fed wants to run everything, and when it comes to nation-wide issues, like upkeeping the interstates, it should. With something more local, like the New Orleans canal (it was part of the canal wall, and not the levy that broke--although the break exacerbated erosion of the levy), I think funds are requested from the Fed, but they can be earmarked differently, as different states have different needs. (BTW, it very much seems that the Dept of HomeSec altered the original focus of FEMA, so that it's effectiveness became compromised when it was needed.)

Regardless of where blame could be placed, it's disheartening to me, to see that beauracracy is more important than life-saving. I think that I would be more inclined to cut someone slack, when they "damned the torpedoes". **Interestingly enough, that action was actually taken at New Orleans: David Farragut (http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent?file=ML_farragut_bkp)**

Oh, and don't forget my sig. . . .

===========================