PDA

View Full Version : Cue slides against side of chest when I stroke

mikeliebel
09-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I find if I get really low and look up my cue through the CB when I stroke I have tons more control. I also notice the shaft of the cue actually slides against the side of my chest as I stroke. I am a 6 in APA 9 ball. I have always been able to get really low when I shoot. What are the thoughts on how high or low to be when shooting?

DickLeonard
09-12-2005, 08:47 AM
As long as it slides it between the ribs and not on the bone
it has a natural groove to keep it straight.####

Billy
09-12-2005, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mikeliebel:</font><hr> I find if I get really low and look up my cue through the CB when I stroke I have tons more control. <hr /></blockquote>

results are what counts - sounds like you're on the right path to becoming a player

all the best in your league accomplishments

jmo

Bob_Jewett
09-12-2005, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mikeliebel:</font><hr> I find if I get really low and look up my cue through the CB when I stroke I have tons more control. I also notice the shaft of the cue actually slides against the side of my chest as I stroke. I am a 6 in APA 9 ball. I have always been able to get really low when I shoot. What are the thoughts on how high or low to be when shooting? <hr /></blockquote>
Joe Davis, who was the champion in England for many years, recommended a three-point rub of the cue stick -- chest, knot of tie, and chin. Lots of people can't get that low. Some have trouble getting power into the ball when they are that low.

DickLeonard
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Bob, that was very interesting about Joe Davis, I am not being funny but what knot did he use in the tie. Being from England he probably used the Windsor Knot.

It brought back to me things that I did 40 years ago when I was playing by best. Head locked against shoulder and I gripped the cue before the wrap once I got the cueball under control. It was more like playing straight rail billiards on a pool table. 90% of my shots were in the bottom 4 pockets. In fact although I never played anyone that way I probably could have spotted most players 4 pockets to 6 pockets.

Big Steve Mizerak who I rate as the Best Player in my time, who broke the balls wide open and probably scored 50% of his balls in the lower 4 pockets, played a game I was not familiar with. His shootmaking was Supreme, his delivery was as Smooth as Silk.

Where most of my shots were within a foot of the object ball Steves were between two and three feet. Yet he failed to miss and always had a breakshot.####

09-15-2005, 07:59 PM
One of the better answers to your question that I've heard is, how low do you NEED to stand? Teachers supporting that concept believe that standing higher is generally better, as long as your shotmaking ability is not at risk. I'm not minimizing the teachings of Joe Davis, but remember, he was facing the table frontally as Allison and Karen do, and it seems to me that would facilitate his getting down that low. GF

SPetty
09-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Before I ever started shooting pool, I remember reading a library book with the advice that you should stand high so that you can look down on the balls. I totally don't remember anything more about the book or author, but I remember thinking it made sense at the time. But it's so totally different than other advice which is get as low as you can...