PDA

View Full Version : Scratches in slate

SJS
09-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi all, great site here, there is a great depth of knowledge I hope I can tap into.
I recently bought a table (Brunswick Gibson) and as the seller was unloading one of the pieces of slate, it was scratched on the playing side. The scratches are not very deep, but I can feel them lightly with a fingernail. The table has not been assembled yet. How worried should I be concerning these scratches? The table is going to be rough finished by the seller, and then final setup will be done by someone I believe to be a very highly regarded mechanic in Connecticut. Will he be able to use bondo or beeswax or whatever the best substance is to permanently cover these scratches? Should I ask for a new piece of slate? Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Steve

dad8
09-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Use wax to fill the scratch DO NOT let them sand the slate.

Billy_Bob
09-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Before installing new cloth, I fill dings and scratches on my slate with auto body filler, let it dry, then lightly sand it smooth to the touch (run my hand over surface).

Also there are craters and bumps in the slate which I can't see just by looking. So I run my hand over the entire surface to find them.

Then after this and before installing cloth, I'll wipe the slate with a damp cloth and let it dry.

Fast_Eddie
09-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Bees Wax has always been the solution I've seen. it won't chip if shifted. It goes back in place.