PDA

View Full Version : matching up

ocman
09-12-2005, 06:05 PM
I've been playing in a tournament where one guy has to give me (use to play 20 years ago) 6 games going to 11...We each won once, now he wants to gamble, how much weight do you think I would need?

thanks

Anonamus
09-13-2005, 04:59 AM
This question seems strange to me. If you are playing races and he's giving you games on the wire and you both won once then that game seems even, assuming he's not laying down.

Now, just because he wants to gamble why does the game have to change? Keep playing what you are playing.

If he wont give you any games on the wire for money and you still want to play him you should ask for the breaks and the wild 7. But to be perfectly honest, you should probably gamble with people your own speed until you get a little better. The reason is that he's probably smart enough not to give away his advantage. So whatever he gives you he's still probably favorites.

Alfie
09-13-2005, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ocman:</font><hr> I've been playing in a tournament where one guy has to give me (use to play 20 years ago) 6 games going to 11...We each won once, now he wants to gamble, how much weight do you think I would need?<hr /></blockquote>7 games to 11

kyle
09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
If he wants to gamble he's comfortable with giving you 6 games, ask for more games or the break.

ocman
09-13-2005, 08:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonamus:</font><hr>If he wont give you any games on the wire for money and you still want to play him you should ask for the breaks and the wild 7.<hr /></blockquote>
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant to ask how much weight I should ask for because he wanted to change the game from giving me 6 games on the wire to a ball spot.
thanks

100andout
09-16-2005, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ocman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonamus:</font><hr>If he wont give you any games on the wire for money and you still want to play him you should ask for the breaks and the wild 7.<hr /></blockquote>
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant to ask how much weight I should ask for because he wanted to change the game from giving me 6 games on the wire to a ball spot.
thanks <hr /></blockquote>

The main reason he wants to change the game is, one of the golden rules of most gamblers is never give games on the wire. It's easier to give a ball spot and make the lesser player earn every game, not just get them up front for free. If I were you, ask for the world, and make him give more than he wants. It's not often a lesser experienced player beats a strong player or experienced gambler with a spot.....good luck......G
If you know anything about 1-pocket, play him 5 pockets to 1 on the 9-ball. Just make sure to pick the pocket out before starting the match.

Bob_Jewett
09-16-2005, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ocman:</font><hr> ... Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant to ask how much weight I should ask for because he wanted to change the game from giving me 6 games on the wire to a ball spot... <hr /></blockquote>
If someone game me 6 going to 11, I think I'd need the 6-7-8 to have about the same chance. A lot depends on how you two play. If it usually takes the two of you four or five innings to get from the 5 to the 9, then the 8 would be a pretty big spot. If he runs out nearly every time he sees the four ball, the 7 and 8 won't do you much good.

tateuts
09-16-2005, 03:54 PM
You're going to need a lot of weight. He probably won't give it to you, but that's what you'll need, at least 3 wild balls. If he'll only give you two, get the 5 and 7 and you might ask for the break.

Chris

ocman
09-17-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The main reason he wants to change the game is, one of the golden rules of most gamblers is never give games on the wire. It's easier to give a ball spot and make the lesser player earn every game, not just get them up front for free.<hr /></blockquote>
That I didn't know.
Can a "C" player beat an "A" player getting 11-6 on the wire?
Is the wild 6-7-8 a bigger spot than the wild 5 &amp; 7?
thanks

100andout
09-19-2005, 03:46 AM
Anyone can beat anyone at any given time. That being said, I'm always thinking percentages when making a game especially with a stronger player than myself. When the spot is offered say to yourself "how many times outta ten will I win with this?" the toughest part is being honest and not letting the old EGO get in the way! The worst feeling in the world is making a game you can't win and sitting in the chair only to get up to rack for your opponent.

If I were you, I'd want the games on the wire first. If that wont float I'd take the 5/7 because if you break you only have to get to the 5 to win.It may only be one ball,but statistically running out to the 5 vs the 6 is a BIG difference. Also make sure to set the rule that your money balls get spotted after the break, and you keep shooting. I've been stung by that wasp. This is a great subject to learn, because becoming a good game maker should be learned before ever picking up a cue, if you intend to gamble that is....Good luck....G

DickLeonard
09-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Ocman, Have you ever gambled playing pool,golf, whatever. Some people will play better but some peoples game drops considerable. It reads like you have never gambled playing pool. It is like going to school first is Kindergarden, then 1,2,3,4,5,6, if you catch on quickly you may skip a couple of grades. Then there is High School,1,2,3,4, now your on your way to college,1,2,3,4, then your Masters degree and if your lucky a Dr.degree.

Then there is what usually happens in pool, the Stall, a player that is a good shortstop will play under his real ability to skin the competition. So you must be able to recognize a player disguiseing his true speed to shear the lambs.

This is what I have always maintained you can become great in any other Sport in half the time it takes you to become
great in pool. The only time you shoot in pool is when your opponent misses.

This is my favorite bet to prove that 14.1 is tougher than
golf. Take a person that never played either game, give them a week of golf instruction in the day and a week of pool instruction at night. Then play Tiger in the day 18 holes of golf and play Mike Sigel 150 points 14.1 at night.
My contention is that after a week of playing Tiger the score would be after 7 rounds Tiger 450 his opponent 1050. Now Mike Sigel score would be 1050 to his opponents 150 and I am being generous with 150. This shows how impossible it is to get good when your opponent is doing all the shooting.
####

ocman
09-19-2005, 07:49 AM
It's been a good 20 years since I gambled at pool and I just played in a couple of small tournaments. For the most part the shot making ability is pretty much there, but the speed control is brutal. I use to be a good "C" player back then. I was just trying to figure out what I needed if I wanted to match up with a top player if asked.

Giving someone 6 on the wire to 11 is a big spot.

thanks