PDA

View Full Version : New Table and Ball Problems

dutchboy
09-14-2005, 07:23 AM
just got a rebuilt GC3, had simonis 860 put on and purchased a set of Aramith balls. Man, give me some help here Mr.Jewett. It seems that all aim points have changed and I'm shooting in the dark. I've always missed on the pro side of the ball anyway but I can't tell if the balls are skidding or there "newness" changes their deflection...is this a common complaint of new equipment or am I having a stroke meltdown? Weigh in guys...

SPetty
09-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Based on what I've read (here mostly), new equipment definitely behaves differently than used equipment. Most notably, new cloth causes different ball behavior, such as skidding. But, new balls are slick and shiny and will behave differently than old icky balls. So, I'd recommend: play hard for two weeks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and then let us know if you see a difference.

Bob_Jewett
09-14-2005, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dutchboy:</font><hr> just got a rebuilt GC3, had simonis 860 put on and purchased a set of Aramith balls. Man, give me some help here Mr.Jewett. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Well, I'll try. Shoot center ball. Draw and follow only. No side spin.

On new cloth, some players think there is more squirt when what is really happening is less swerve. The new balls may also have less throw -- you can test this with frozen combinations if you're interested.

The good news is that you will get used to the new angles. This will happen faster if you practice the shots you're missing now. Start with easy versions and work your way up.

The other good news is that the equipment will gradually go back to closer to how it was as the cloth and balls become less slippery. To speed things up, you can invite the neighbors over for a pool party and serve pizza and french fries.