PDA

View Full Version : What to fuse as filler on beveled slate?

mikeliebel
09-14-2005, 07:38 AM
I have an antique table (1896 or so). The slate is beveled at the pockets. What should I use to fill the bevel? The play surface is 50 x 100 but if you put a ball on the rail by a side pocket and tap it in front of the pocket, it will roll in. I would like to fix this issue.

SPetty
09-14-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that the pockets are supposed to have a bevel, so I'm not sure you have anything to fix. It could be your "shelf" isn't as deep as you'd like, but I haven't ever heard of anything to change that other than to get new slate.

Bob_Jewett
09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I'm pretty sure that the pockets are supposed to have a bevel, so I'm not sure you have anything to fix. It could be your "shelf" isn't as deep as you'd like, but I haven't ever heard of anything to change that other than to get new slate. <hr /></blockquote>
In the old days, payment was by the rack in pool halls. I've been told that proprietors would file down the edges of the pockets to speed up the game. Any hung ball was that much less per hour for the table. I've played on such tables, where a ball that seemed to hang in the jaws would change its mind and gradually slide over the brink.

Bondo of some kind?

houseman
09-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Where I learned to play pool, a town fire company, had an old 5x10 brunswick and the side pockets were like that, none of my friends could shoot soft enough to make a ball fall in. Bangers that they were.