PDA

View Full Version : Tom Simpson Instructor???

recoveryjones
09-14-2005, 10:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever had lessons with Tom Simpson who is a BCA Master instructor?How did you find him as an instructor?

I'm thinking of taking a 3 day package of lessons with him (or some other noted instructor) within the next 6 months.I live in vancouver canada and Seattle is the closest and most convienant USA location for me.

If anyone knows of good instruction coming to seattle soon, please post and let me know.RJ

HALHOULE
09-15-2005, 03:07 AM
recovery jones, go and take instruction from simpson

hal houle

randyg
09-15-2005, 06:02 AM
I agree with Hal, go to Tom. Tom is a member of our SPF Family.

We conduct a Pool School every Labor Day in Seattle....SPF-randyg

raodwarior
09-15-2005, 07:23 AM
You won't be disapointed, it is a great class.

dr_dave
09-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Tom's articles in Inside Pool magazine are excellent. Based on the quality of his work there, I would expect him to be a top-notch instructor. I have also heard many good things about him, as an instructor, from many other sources.

Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> I was wondering if anyone has ever had lessons with Tom Simpson who is a BCA Master instructor?How did you find him as an instructor?

I'm thinking of taking a 3 day package of lessons with him (or some other noted instructor) within the next 6 months.I live in vancouver canada and Seattle is the closest and most convienant USA location for me.

If anyone knows of good instruction coming to seattle soon, please post and let me know.RJ <hr /></blockquote>

RUNaRAK
09-15-2005, 12:00 PM
RJ,

I took the 3 day session in early August of this year. The only prior instruction I had was a 3 hour session with Scott Lee.
Tom did a fantastic job, he was a great communicator and I go to learn a lot. I was skeptical but wanted someone to analyze my stroke more than anything. Well, I go a lot more than I expected to get out of it. Great time too. I would highly recommend attending if you get the chance.
Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions. If you decide to take the class, mention that you talked to me about the class.

Regards,

Joe Koontz

Merdy
09-15-2005, 07:29 PM
I took the three day clinic from Tom in July, it has really heped my game and I highly recommend it.

recoveryjones
09-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the recommendations evryone. I emailed him ,however, still no reply.RJ

RUNaRAK
09-17-2005, 11:29 AM
RJ, Tom is at the US Open. I am sure that he will get back to you when he returns.

Best,

Joe

recoveryjones
09-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks joe.

He emailed me today and will be in Seattle Feb or March.
It's a bit of a wait,however, if I do take instruction it will be from him or another BCA MASTER instructor.

No offense to the instructors that aren't masters, because I'm sure there are some great ones even at the "recognized level".

I just come from the school that you get what you pay for and I want to be safe.Seattle(West Coast) is the most convieniant for me as travel,time and $$$ aren't at a premium.
RJ

Cane
09-17-2005, 02:25 PM
RJ, I have never been in one of Tom's classes, although, as I think I've said before, I've been in classes with him. You will not be disappointed in the quality of instruction you receive from Tom.

Later,
Bob

Bob_Jewett
09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> ... No offense to the instructors that aren't masters, because I'm sure there are some great ones even at the "recognized level".
... Seattle(West Coast) is the most convieniant for me as travel,time and $$$ aren't at a premium.
RJ <hr /></blockquote>
There is a Master Instructor in San Francisco.

DickLeonard
09-20-2005, 05:50 AM
RecoveryJones. I sent you a message still no reply but I will view your DVD for you.####

DickLeonard
09-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Randy I viewed an old tape of all the old greats,Hoppe,Greenleaf,Taberski not a SPFF in the lot. Is this an English Thing?####

recoveryjones
09-20-2005, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> ... No offense to the instructors that aren't masters, because I'm sure there are some great ones even at the "recognized level".
... Seattle(West Coast) is the most convieniant for me as travel,time and $$$ aren't at a premium.
RJ <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Bob.
I see that Joseph Mejia who you teach with is a master instructor.

I was kinda of intrested in Randy G and Tom Simpson because they also teach some of Hal Houle's aiming systems.Do you guys teach anything by Hal?
RJ
There is a Master Instructor in San Francisco. <hr /></blockquote>

recoveryjones
09-20-2005, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> RecoveryJones. I sent you a message still no reply but I will view your DVD for you.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Dick, I sent you a PM and will mail the DVd off this week.

Regarding SPFF being an English(your question for Randy G) thing, I notice it is used almost exclusivley in snooker. You do see alot of pool players use it as well,however, in a much more less pronounced fashion.

In my own self experimenting way with it, I think it is a good way to shoot especially for those who have so many flaws in there "play by feel" game that need some good mechanics to balance things out.

I know that my free wheeling,play by feel style took me to a plateau.
RJ

randyg
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
DICK: What is it you were looking at? SPF is a system. Every player I have ever watched play will have some form of SPF. Even the great 3-C Billiard players....,randyg

Bob_Jewett
09-20-2005, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr>... SPF is a system. ... <hr /></blockquote>
From the first time I heard Jerry Briesath refer to something similar as a "system," I thought the word was misleading. I was certainly confused by what he was saying until he gave some examples. I much prefer to refer to this part of shooting technique as a "shot sequence." It is a series of things you do (and think about) as part of the shot. For me, and I think for quite a few others, "system" has a different connotation.

A nit, perhaps, but I think it's important as an instuctor to speak unambiguously. That's also why I'm irritated when people use the word "deflection" to describe the phenomenon that's aggravated by a heavy ferrule.

randyg
09-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Speak up Bob, don't hold back now. What is "Deflection" &amp; "Squirt"???????randyg

Bob_Jewett
09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Speak up Bob, don't hold back now. What is "Deflection" &amp; "Squirt"???????randyg <hr /></blockquote>
I think they're pretty well covered in on-line glossaries such as http://www.answerbag.com/c_view.php/442

SplinterHands
09-21-2005, 10:59 AM
He can't play worth a hoot, but from what I hear he teaches well.