PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie O'Sullivan

thecardman
09-15-2005, 02:46 AM
In case you haven't heard, snooker star Ronnie O'Sullivan is apparently heading Stateside to play in a few pool events. You can read the story on the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/4247820.stm).

Could be interesting!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dr_dave
09-15-2005, 08:01 AM
thecardman,

Don't be surprised if your posting generates some heated discussion. The last time I brought up Ronnie O, a huge debate started concerning the skill of snooker players vs. pool players (see the infamous Ronnie thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=176378&page =0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1), which had over 100 replies and many thousand views).

Dave

PS: I also look forward to seeing what Ronnie can do if he dedicates some time to pool.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> In case you haven't heard, snooker star Ronnie O'Sullivan is apparently heading Stateside to play in a few pool events. You can read the story on the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/4247820.stm).

Could be interesting!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
09-15-2005, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> In case you haven't heard, snooker star Ronnie O'Sullivan is apparently heading Stateside to play in a few pool events. <hr /></blockquote>

I hope it's worth his time. I'm sure he'll do well.

Fred &lt;~~~ would like to see Ronnie at the DCC.

Fred Agnir
09-15-2005, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> thecardman,

Don't be surprised if your posting generates some heated discussion. The last time I brought up Ronnie O, a huge debate started concerning the skill of snooker players vs. pool players (see the infamous Ronnie thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=176378&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1), which had over 100 replies and many thousand views).

Dave <hr /></blockquote>The only reason why there were heated discussions is because many of the participants were basing their opinions on their limited exposure to pool and snooker. Here's a recent thread and some proof positive that should have snuffed out 90% of those posts.

Efren Playing Snooker (http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showpost.php?p=187995&amp;postcount=35)

Fred

Qtec
09-15-2005, 09:24 AM
From Fred,s link.
[ QUOTE ]
. Who, in your opinion, was the greatest ever to pick up a cue (snooker, pool, whatever)?

Snooker: Ronnie O'Sullivan

Pool: Efren Reyes

Overall: Efren because I saw him play Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan 6 years ago, at snooker best of 5 for 100 each if I remember rightly: he beat both of them with his pool cue, and he made 3 centuries!! Now that's special.

<hr /></blockquote>
Big wow. 100 quid is peanuts to Jimmy or Ronnie. Its not enough to take the game seriously.[ BTW, I saw Jimmy White play 27 years ago as a 16 year old kid.!]

Ronnie earned in 2004 [ in prize money], $ 600,000!
If E is so good at snooker, why doesnt he go to England and pick up an easy 1/2 million?
The answer is obvious. If he was to compete with the top players in Pro Snooker tournaments he would starve to death. 16 year old kids would slaughter him and make him look ordinary.
Make no mistake about it, the top Pro pool players can play a good game of snooker.[ I saw Neils F make a 96 break against a friend of mine], but they are no match for the best.
ANYONE who thinks they are good enough can try their luck on the Pro snooker circuit.
Darren P was 175 on the ranking and now he is the best[?] pool player in England!
I think that says it all.

Q

Qtec
09-15-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason why there were heated discussions is because many of the participants were basing their opinions on their limited exposure to pool and snooker. <hr /></blockquote>
Correct. Most Americans have no idea about snooker.

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_dave
09-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Let the heated debate begin ... again!

Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> From Fred,s link.
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
. Who, in your opinion, was the greatest ever to pick up a cue (snooker, pool, whatever)?

Overall: Efren because I saw him play Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan 6 years ago, at snooker best of 5 for 100 each if I remember rightly: he beat both of them with his pool cue, and he made 3 centuries!! Now that's special.

<hr /></blockquote>
Big wow. 100 quid is peanuts to Jimmy or Ronnie. Its not enough to take the game seriously.[ BTW, I saw Jimmy White play 27 years ago as a 16 year old kid.!]

If E is so good at snooker, why doesnt he go to England and pick up an easy 1/2 million?
The answer is obvious. If he was to compete with the top players in Pro Snooker tournaments he would starve to death. 16 year old kids would slaughter him and make him look ordinary.
Make no mistake about it, the top Pro pool players can play a good game of snooker.[ I saw Neils F make a 96 break against a friend of mine], but they are no match for the best.
ANYONE who thinks they are good enough can try their luck on the Pro snooker circuit.
Darren P was 175 on the ranking and now he is the best[?] pool player in England!
I think that says it all.

Q

<hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
09-15-2005, 09:50 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec

eg8r
09-15-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't be surprised if your posting generates some heated discussion. The last time I brought up Ronnie O, a huge debate started concerning the skill of snooker players vs. pool players (see the infamous Ronnie thread, which had over 100 replies and many thousand views).
<hr /></blockquote> And why should he be surprised, you are possibly starting it over again by simply mentioning it.

eg8r

eg8r
09-15-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let the heated debate begin ... again! <hr /></blockquote> Just pat your back remembering you started it.

eg8r

Qtec
09-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Dave, I played a tourny in England years ago in Hastings. The rule was that if you lost you had to referee the next match. I lost and I refereed a match between Ronnie and a good friend of mine Chris Scanlon- a fantastic player.
It was Bo5. As I remember, there were 3 100 breaks , a 97 and an 80+. The whole game took about 30 mins.
Ronnie didnt win that tourny- he didnt even get to the final!

In Ronnies first year as a pro, he won 70+ matches in a row during the qualifiers.
Qtec...........I also watched Ken D [ former world champ] practice and he never missed a ball in 4 hours. Thats the standard.

Fred Agnir
09-15-2005, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

[ QUOTE ]

<hr /></blockquote>
<hr /></blockquote> What does any of that have to do with Efren making 3 Century breaks in 10 matches? Are you sure you know anything about snooker? You didn't read the article, did you?

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is obvious. If he was to compete with the top players in Pro Snooker tournaments he would starve to death. 16 year old kids would slaughter him and make him look ordinary.<hr /></blockquote> Typical of you. You didn't understand a word that was written. Read it again. As I said, the article snuffs out any of your ignorant comments.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that says it all.<hr /></blockquote> What was your ranking? Are we to take his opinion as a professional snooker player less than yours, a nobody who obviously knows nothing about pool let alone snooker?

Did you even bother to read the frickin' article? I didn't think so.

Fred

Fred Agnir
09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> Let the heated debate begin ... again!

Dave <hr /></blockquote>Isn't that what you wanted? Are you happy that more ignorant comments from those that don't understand both pool and snooker are going to come forth for your cheerleading pleasure?

The biggest reason for the "heated debates" previously was your lack of knowledge of snooker and Qtec's jingoism. Hopefully, if you read the article, you will learn something that might fill some of your knowledge cup. Qtec has no hope, as regardless of facts, his posts are always politic-driven.

Fred

dr_dave
09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok. I take it back. No need for further discussion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Don't be surprised if your posting generates some heated discussion. The last time I brought up Ronnie O, a huge debate started concerning the skill of snooker players vs. pool players (see the infamous Ronnie thread, which had over 100 replies and many thousand views).
<hr /></blockquote> And why should he be surprised, you are possibly starting it over again by simply mentioning it.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
09-15-2005, 12:38 PM
First you accuse me by saying,
" I didnt read it"
Then you say
"read it again"[ implying that I DID read it.]
Then you say "you didnt read it ".??????

Are you confused or am I?

The odds on me quoting a passage from a link, from a link, and it being relevant to the topic, purely by chance are astronomical, dont you think?
I always read what I quote, ask anyone.

[ QUOTE ]
What was your ranking? <font color="blue"> </font color> Are we to take his opinion as a professional snooker player less than yours, a nobody who obviously knows nothing about pool let alone snooker?
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> What is YOUR experience with snooker? What was your ranking? What makes you an expert? </font color>

I would back R at snooker and E at pool. The two games are for the most part similar, but there are different qualities involved when it comes to being the best of the best in either sport. If anyone can be the best at both sports, it will be a snooker player. If anyone can do it, it will be Ronnie.
What you cant read in books, what you cant experience by watching a video, is that Ronnie has a presence. I cant describe it. Its like an aura.

All I,m saying is its just HIS [ DP,s] opinion!
YOU are treating it as fact.
Are you really saying that because dP says Ef is the best, thats it? Case closed?
Again, that doesnt diminish his opinion, because it IS just an opinion and everybody,s got one. Even Pros!
Even people who dont know what they are talking about.

BTW, There is no need for personal abuse. If you cant debate without getting personal, just dont post to me.

Q

Qtec
09-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Too late Dr D.
Qtec /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fred Agnir
09-15-2005, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Are you confused or am I?<hr /></blockquote> Nope. It's just you. But then again, reading comprehension has never been your thing.

[ QUOTE ]
I always read what I quote, ask anyone.<hr /></blockquote> You have proven many times over your inability to understand basic posts.

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> What is YOUR experience with snooker? What was your ranking? What makes you an expert? </font color><hr /></blockquote> How dumb is this question? It was you who dismissed Darryl's opinion. You have to prove why your opinion is worth more than his opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
I would back R at snooker and E at pool. The two games are for the most part similar, but there are different qualities involved when it comes to being the best of the best in either sport. If anyone can be the best at both sports, it will be a snooker player. If anyone can do it, it will be Ronnie. <hr /></blockquote>I'll ask again. Did you even bother reading the article? Obviously, you didn't.

Fred

theinel
09-15-2005, 06:43 PM
My initial thought was "Why would Ronnie want to play for low dollars here in the States?" but after reading the BBC article I noticed that the event he is starting with is the first IPT event in Orlando so there is some money to be won. I also notice that he is restless with snooker so it makes sense.

I won't go into the pool/snooker debate but this guy has a world class stroke and has plenty of time and money so I'm sure that his learning cure will be very steep. He even seemed humble about it which was a bit surprising.

I can't wait to see how he does.

recoveryjones
09-15-2005, 07:11 PM
I've got hundreds of pool videos and I've watched many many matches of all games.

One of the most exciting things I ever saw was Ronnie O run a perfect 147 in snooker in just over five minutes.He shot just as fast as Tony drago and Luc salveas in doing it. It was amazing!!!!!

Tony Drago has done well in winning the World pool Masters and placing high in the WPC's as an x snooker player.If Tony(and Steve Davis) can do that well, imagine what Ronnie will be capable of?

I have no trouble believing he can be top ten material in pool within a year or two. He's that good.

I say Fu#% the arguing. let's just enjoy the fact that we'll get to see Ronnie O play some pool.
RJ

Barbara
09-15-2005, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>
One of the most exciting things I ever saw was Ronnie O run a perfect 147 in snooker in just over five minutes.He shot just as fast as Tony drago and Luc salveas in doing it. It was amazing!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

RJ.

Even though I don't understand the rules of snooker, I still have to see this. Where can I get a video of this?

Barbara

recoveryjones
09-15-2005, 10:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>
One of the most exciting things I ever saw was Ronnie O run a perfect 147 in snooker in just over five minutes.He shot just as fast as Tony drago and Luc salveas in doing it. It was amazing!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Barbara, PM Dr. Dave because he has the link to the runout.He posted about it here on an earlier thread that I couldn't locate in the archives.
RJ

Even though I don't understand the rules of snooker, I still have to see this. Where can I get a video of this?

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
09-16-2005, 01:53 AM
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/new/NVA-19.htm

Qtec

Fred Agnir
09-16-2005, 05:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> I noticed that the event he is starting with is the first IPT event in Orlando so there is some money to be won. I also notice that he is restless with snooker so it makes sense.<hr /></blockquote>This is exactly right. And many of us have been saying this for years and years. There has to be two reasons why anyone who grew up with one cuesport to make a lifechanging leap to the other. And the enjoyment of the sport will always come before money.

There is no debate, IMO.

FRed

dr_dave
09-16-2005, 06:55 AM
FYI to others, links to this and other interesting online clips can be found under "videos" in the threads summary portion of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Happy viewing,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/new/NVA-19.htm

Qtec <hr /></blockquote>

aco76
09-16-2005, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Efren Playing Snooker (http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showpost.php?p=187995&amp;postcount=35)

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry Fred, but this article doesn't show much. We are still waiting for any pool player to play in an OFFICIAL international snooker tournament and post a decent result. Only tournaments count.

How motivated Ronnie or Jimmy would be playing for 100 pounds? Or was Daryl just having a bit of fun?

I'm sure Efren can play a decent snooker game. But the best Filipino snooker player is Marlon Manalo, not Efren...everyone knows that. And even he doesn't quite qualify for the Crucible...

recoveryjones
09-16-2005, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> I noticed that the event he is starting with is the first IPT event in Orlando so there is some money to be won. I also notice that he is restless with snooker so it makes sense.<hr /></blockquote>This is exactly right. And many of us have been saying this for years and years. There has to be two reasons why anyone who grew up with one cuesport to make a lifechanging leap to the other. And the enjoyment of the sport will always come before money.

There is no debate, IMO.

FRed <hr /></blockquote>

Steve Davis( 6 time world snooker champ) is absolutley thrilled with the game of nine ball.RJ

Fred Agnir
09-16-2005, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote aco76:</font><hr>
Sorry Fred, but this article doesn't show much.<hr /></blockquote> Of course it does. And luckily, other snooker aficionados have already acknowledged it.

[ QUOTE ]
We are still waiting for any pool player to play in an OFFICIAL international snooker tournament and post a decent result. Only tournaments count.
<hr /></blockquote>Who is we? This wasn't the contention. Is it that every time a point gets disproven, your side will simply keep changing your argument?

Can't you simply accept that the snooker vs. pool debate is silly and fruitless, and that a cueist is a cueist, and that given enough practice at a discipline, a cueist will reach similar a skill level at the other discipline? Doesn't that article prove this point?

Fred

Snyder1
09-17-2005, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Are you confused or am I?<hr /></blockquote> Nope. It's just you. But then again, reading comprehension has never been your thing.

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I always read what I quote, ask anyone.<hr /></blockquote> You have proven many times over your inability to understand basic posts.

<font color="blue"> What is YOUR experience with snooker? What was your ranking? What makes you an expert? </font color><hr /></blockquote> How dumb is this question? It was you who dismissed Darryl's opinion. You have to prove why your opinion is worth more than his opinion.

I would back R at snooker and E at pool. The two games are for the most part similar, but there are different qualities involved when it comes to being the best of the best in either sport. If anyone can be the best at both sports, it will be a snooker player. If anyone can do it, it will be Ronnie. <hr /></blockquote>I'll ask again. Did you even bother reading the article? Obviously, you didn't.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I gotta tell ya Fred - you're coming across with a degree of arrogance here. I'm not a high volume poster on this forum, and don't know the personalities yet, but seems to me you're jumping on the guy for little provocation ... leads me to believe you guys apparently have a thing going on &amp; don't send each other christmas cards ?

JS

recoveryjones
09-17-2005, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote aco76:</font><hr>
Sorry Fred, but this article doesn't show much.<hr /></blockquote> Of course it does. And luckily, other snooker aficionados have already acknowledged it.

We are still waiting for any pool player to play in an OFFICIAL international snooker tournament and post a decent result. Only tournaments count.
<hr /></blockquote>Who is we? This wasn't the contention. Is it that every time a point gets disproven, your side will simply keep changing your argument?

Can't you simply accept that the snooker vs. pool debate is silly and fruitless, and that a cueist is a cueist, and that given enough practice at a discipline, a cueist will reach similar a skill level at the other discipline? Doesn't that article prove this point?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure pro cueists from pool can adapt to a certain level of prophiecency (in snooker), however, unfortunatley there hasn't been one documented case at the championship level.

For years Jim Rempe(formerly the USA's best snooker player) gave English snooker a chance as he actually went over the the uK(for a few years) to try and crack the tour and failed miserably.Their are hundreds of pool players who could in time run century's in pool.Running centurys and getting really good, however, is not enough. To win on the UK tour, one has to be GREAT.

Jim Rempe proved he could play any game with American balls and a smaller table as he won several championships in various disiplines.He currently has his name in the Hall of Fame to back that up.When it came to UK snooker he simply said,"These guys are just too damned good!"Marlon Manalo the number one Phillipine(better than Reyes and Bustamante at snooker) Snooker player also can't compete in the UK.

In Summary:

Yes Fred is right that pool players can play a high level of snooker.Cueists are cueists and talent is talent and can be adaptable to a point.Reaching top ten level and making a living, however, is a whole different story.

If one looks at the facts, x snooker players (Davis,Drago,Manalo, Fisher and Corr)have won championships, Played on Mosconi Cups and had great WPC results with American pool, while American style pool players have done dick on the UK snooker tour....absolutley nothing.

In Conclusion:

My conclusion (based on the FACTS) is that UK snooker players can and will adapt to pool, much much more easier than Pool players (from anywhere) will adapt to UK snooker at the championship level.I say this because the FACTS bear this out and not to take sides with anyone in this ongoing arguement.
RJ

Fred Agnir
09-18-2005, 05:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr>
I gotta tell ya Fred - you're coming across with a degree of arrogance here. I'm not a high volume poster on this forum, and don't know the personalities yet, but seems to me you're jumping on the guy for little provocation ... leads me to believe you guys apparently have a thing going on &amp; don't send each other christmas cards ?

JS <hr /></blockquote>That's fine.

Forget about all that. If you read Darryl's article, and then read Qtec's response (dismissing a professional snooker player's take), who is arrogant?

Fred

P.S. Q. shows over and over that he doesn't bother reading and comprehending any post, and spouts out his anti-American and his Euro-snooker snobbery. If my posts read like arrogance, it's because he deserves it by the ongoing nature of his posts.

And guys like Dr. Dave, who know little about snooker and pool, feed Qtec's ever needing snobbery.

DickLeonard
09-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Dr. Dave I think Ronnie made 600,000 lbs not dollars. His all time pay day was when he ran 147 and out in 6 1/2 minutes to earn a grand total of nearly 240,000 dollars or $512 pounds a second.####

DickLeonard
09-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Barbara just go to BBC.com/snooker it was on there site I don't know if it is still there. Will check it out.####

Qtec
09-19-2005, 05:49 AM
<font color="brown"> And guys like Dr. Dave, who know little about snooker and pool, feed Qtec's ever needing snobbery. </font color>

With this quote you have once again proved to me [ and the whole board] that you are a total ASS.
If this isnt 'pool snobbery', I dont know what is.

Good day to you.

Qtec........

DvB
09-19-2005, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> <font color="brown"> And guys like Dr. Dave, who know little about snooker and pool, feed Qtec's ever needing snobbery. </font color>

With this quote you have once again proved to me [ and the whole board] that you are a total ASS.
You are so full of s**t its starting to come out your mouth /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good day to you.

Qtec........ <hr /></blockquote>

Let me start out by stating that although I have long been a reader of this forum, I am a very infrequent poster, so I realize my comments on this thread will -- in accordance with the unwritten rules of these sites -- be given less regard than some others. Fine. That out of the way, I'd like to state that Qtec might actually have a point on this one.

First of all, I agree with you Fred on your central thesis that the "snooker vs. pool" debate is about as pointless and unwinnable as a game of tic-tac-toe. But the link you cite as "proof positive that should have snuffed out 90% of those posts"? Excuse me? You had it right, Fred, when you wrote: "a cueist is a cueist, and that given enough practice at a discipline, a cueist will reach similar a skill level at the other discipline." But you sully your case by asking: "Doesn't that article prove this point?" Sorry, pal, but no, it doesn't. And I'm not saying it doesn't because I'm too stupid to understand the article or the content of any of your posts. Again, I AGREE with your argument. But it bugs me to sit here and read posts in which you lambaste people for not being smart enough to see how correct you must be in citing the Peach interview as "proof." Peach describes one day during which one of the finest pool players who ever lived had a particularly good match against some memorable opponents. This does NOT prove that "a cueist is a cueist . . ." -- even though that's what I steadfastly believe. I spoke with Jim Wych (a former pro snooker player himself) this past Friday at the World Summit of Pool. We talked about O'Sullivan, and the impression I got is that Wych feels snooker players DO have an advantage when they make the switch. Is this "proof" that you and I are both wrong, Fred? No, I didn't think so either.

But secondly (and more importantly), Fred . . . your delivery needs work. You should know that in this thread, and in countless others preceding it, you come off as an insufferable, pompous, know-it-all. I'm sure you're a great guy, but you do a magnificent job of belying it with your writing. Your comment about Dr. Dave is childish and and uncalled for, not to mention patently false. Dr. Dave's knowledge of the game might not be that of a Byrne or a Sigel, granted. But his contributions on this board and on his own site have made a positive difference in my game (and I'm sure that of many others). I assure you, Fred, that your contributions have not.

Qtec
09-19-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But secondly (and more importantly), Fred . . . your delivery needs work. You should know that in this thread, and in countless others preceding it, you come off as an insufferable, pompous, know-it-all. I'm sure you're a great guy, but you do a magnificent job of belying it with your writing. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you DvB for coming out of the shadows to state your opinion. Most readers dont dare to make a post that contradicts a post from fred lest they incur his wrath.

If you agree with F, fine. You have no problem.
If you disagree, you either have are reading comprehension problem or you are just stupid..............................unless you are a pro that is.

Well done DvB.

Q

Qtec
09-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Quote Fred,
[ QUOTE ]
(dismissing a professional snooker player's take), who is arrogant?
<hr /></blockquote>
Quote Qtec,
[ QUOTE ]
Are you really saying that because DP says EF is the best, thats it? Case closed?
Again, that doesnt diminish his opinion, <hr /></blockquote>

Can you read?

I think it is pretty clear to eneryone EXCEPT you, that I did not 'dismiss' DP,s opinion.

Quite simply put , I do not agree with it.
There is a difference!

Is that so difficult to understand?

Qtec.

Qtec
09-19-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Q. shows over and over that he doesn't bother reading and comprehending any post, and spouts out his anti-American and his Euro-snooker snobbery. If my posts read like arrogance, it's because he deserves it by the ongoing nature of his posts.

<hr /></blockquote>

When it comes to me and my posts, I think you have just disqualified ourself as objective.

Q..LMAO...............this coming from someone who has lectured many on how not to read between the lines and why not to take anything personal.
What a joke.

dr_dave
09-20-2005, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DvB:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> <font color="brown"> And guys like Dr. Dave, who know little about snooker and pool, feed Qtec's ever needing snobbery. </font color>

You are so full of s**t its starting to come out your mouth /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good day to you.

Qtec........ <hr /></blockquote>

Fred . . . your delivery needs work. You should know that in this thread, and in countless others preceding it, you come off as an insufferable, pompous, know-it-all. I'm sure you're a great guy, but you do a magnificent job of belying it with your writing. Your comment about Dr. Dave is childish and and uncalled for, not to mention patently false. Dr. Dave's knowledge of the game might not be that of a Byrne or a Sigel, granted. But his contributions on this board and on his own site have made a positive difference in my game (and I'm sure that of many others). I assure you, Fred, that your contributions have not. <hr /></blockquote>
Qtec and DvB, thank you for the supportive comments. I appreciate them. But at the same time, I wish negative comments and replies wouldn't escalate as much as they do. I have the greatest respect for Fred. He is very knowledgeable and I appreciate his long-term and continued contributions to this board. His direct (and sometimes disrespectful) style doesn't always feel good, especially if you are a frequent recipient like myself, but I've tried to learn to look past the negatives and value the contributions Fred makes. Let's all try to live in peace and be courteous and respectful.

Dave

PS: I think it's time for a virtual "group hug," don't you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred Agnir
09-21-2005, 04:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> His direct (and sometimes disrespectful) style doesn't always feel good, especially if you are a frequent recipient like myself, but I've tried to learn to look past the negatives and value the contributions Fred makes. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't bother looking past the negatives Dave. My abrupt, direct, and disrespectful posts are as meaningful as any "positive" post. Know that I am not the only person who feels the way I do. And a handful have written the same thing on these boards. How you or Qtec take them is up to you.

I've been both berated and praised on this board. Same with everyone. I don't hope for any more or less. Just honesty and a lot of reading.

Fred

Fred Agnir
09-21-2005, 05:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DvB:</font><hr> But you sully your case by asking: "Doesn't that article prove this point?" Sorry, pal, but no, it doesn't. And I'm not saying it doesn't because I'm too stupid to understand the article or the content of any of your posts. <hr /></blockquote> Most of the previous posts were how pool players would have a difficult time adapting to a snooker table and that a pool player would have a difficult if not impossible time beating a professional snooker player. If this article didn't prove that, then what did it prove? Certainly it proved that a pool player can compete on a snooker table against a professional caliber player. No? Does it just prove that Efren had one magnificent day?

[ QUOTE ]
Again, I AGREE with your argument. But it bugs me to sit here and read posts in which you lambaste people for not being smart enough to see how correct you must be in citing the Peach interview as "proof." Peach describes one day during which one of the finest pool players who ever lived had a particularly good match against some memorable opponents. This does NOT prove that "a cueist is a cueist . . ." -- even though that's what I steadfastly believe. <hr /></blockquote>

Did it prove anything??? Several of my biggest "adversaries" on these boards (Colin Colenso, on AZBilliards) certainly was taken aback, since all of his debate had been built purely on speculation, but when this article came out, he certainly took notice and has rethought his position. So, it must have helped my case.

[ QUOTE ]
I spoke with Jim Wych (a former pro snooker player himself) this past Friday at the World Summit of Pool. We talked about O'Sullivan, and the impression I got is that Wych feels snooker players DO have an advantage when they make the switch. Is this "proof" that you and I are both wrong, Fred? No, I didn't think so either.<hr /></blockquote> I'm sure most every snooker player will say the same thing. The ball pocketing is the first thing you'll have to get past. And ball pocketing is more difficult on a snooker table. But, that's not where the argument lies. And if Jimmy Wych watched the same match as Darryl reported, do you think he would have also said the same thing as Darryl?

[ QUOTE ]
But secondly (and more importantly), Fred . . . your delivery needs work. You should know that in this thread, and in countless others preceding it, you come off as an insufferable, pompous, know-it-all. I'm sure you're a great guy, but you do a magnificent job of belying it with your writing. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm not a great guy. I'm not a know-it-all. I know two or three things in life. There are only a half dozen of posters on the board that I give this grief to, and they IMO give out as much they get. And guys like Qtec deserve it. He knows it.

[ QUOTE ]
Your comment about Dr. Dave is childish and and uncalled for, not to mention patently false. <hr /></blockquote>
Childish? I don't think so. Uncalled for? I say long overdue. Patently False? That's debatable, but not patently false about knowing little about snooker. He admitted it. About pool, well this is my biggest issue, and I believe it needs to be said. But, maybe in another thread. But, I'd rather tell Dave face to face.

[ QUOTE ]
Dr. Dave's knowledge of the game might not be that of a Byrne or a Sigel, granted. But his contributions on this board and on his own site have made a positive difference in my game (and I'm sure that of many others). <hr /></blockquote>I admit I should have just talked about his knowledge of snooker. And if you read the thread, you saw how it was Dr. Dave that made the lead in for the rest of this thread. Was he childish for that? He knew where it would lead.

[ QUOTE ]
I assure you, Fred, that your contributions have not. <hr /></blockquote>Okay. Sorry about that.

Fred

Fred Agnir
09-21-2005, 05:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> <font color="brown"> And guys like Dr. Dave, who know little about snooker and pool, feed Qtec's ever needing snobbery. </font color>

With this quote you have once again proved to me [ and the whole board] that you are a total ASS.<hr /></blockquote>

Do you really think that it's this one quote that shows I'm an ass? You give me way too much credit. There's been much more to show that I'm a total ASS.

[ QUOTE ]
If this isnt 'pool snobbery', I dont know what is.<hr /></blockquote>Don't put this on pool. The game of pool doesn't need to be brought down by the likes of me.

Fred

Fred Agnir
09-21-2005, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> When it comes to me and my posts, I think you have just disqualified ourself as objective.
<hr /></blockquote>Yes, you're correct.

Fred