PDA

View Full Version : trying to get "it" back

sack316
09-15-2005, 04:23 AM
hey all, haven't really posted anything in a while but I still lurk. Hope everyone is doing ok!
Anyway, as I posted a little while back in a reply, i had hit a little slump there, and I'm not sure at what point a little slump actually turns into a big one, but it no doubt has gotten to be a big one. It has been just one of those times where I can't do what I know I CAN do, and no matter what I can't pull out the wins. 2 months ago I was positive I was about to move up a skill level, in fact we broke up one team because of that fact. Now I've actually dropped one level, that's how bad it's gotten!
Well, during practice one day I realized something wrong in my mechanics. I thought I was pulling up on my shots, when in fact I realized I never even was getting down at all. I think I had been so "hot" for so long and everything was so automatic during that few month stretch, that I just got lazy/ overconfident. So now I have plugged up that little hole, and my stroke feels much better, but I'm still missing that little "it" that I usually have. And though I'm shooting much better, I'm still not pulling down the W's even with the lowered SL. I'm in a 3 man tourney this weekend which apparently I am wanted badly for since word about my level dropping got around, but I've still got to fill whatever gap is there if I'm gonna be any good to my team.
So what do you guys think? Is it a mental thing going on now? Do I just need that one good win to get my confidence back, or may there be something else? Has the game possibly passed me by at the ripe old age of 25? lol.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

randyg
09-15-2005, 05:56 AM
Sack316: Sounds like you need a little help. Please email me at:

randyg@poolschool.com

Thanks....randyg

DickLeonard
09-15-2005, 07:23 AM
sac On1fr1o Laur1 was lead1ng the 1971 Worlds Champ1onsh1p at 73 and 1/2 15-0 t1ll the Earthquaje h1t.Don't g1ve up yet.####
ps my key board was not h1tt1ng i or k now its working####

Perk
09-15-2005, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>
ps my key board was not h1tt1ng i or k now its working#### <hr /></blockquote>

My laptop has been doing that off and on. Really gets on my nerves!

Sid_Vicious
09-15-2005, 09:01 AM
What's going in other areas of your life? My slump which lasted several months didn't go away until I got past some subconscious turmoil giving me a diminished attitude of fun with the game. In my case it would have taken the time period of healing that it did, and moving back to my balance in overall life. If it is the same thing with you, time and suffering through it will be the remedy. That's a piss poor reality, and I hope it is different for you, but that is my personal observation from my last slump. On a positive note though, I was able to refine my stroke in the interim and once the mental ghosts disappeared, my performance took a leap. I would recommend working on purity of stroke and ride the slump out, IF it is indeed general life giving you the distractions to your winning and losing...sid

Stretch
09-15-2005, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What's going in other areas of your life? My slump which lasted several months didn't go away until I got past some subconscious turmoil giving me a diminished attitude of fun with the game. In my case it would have taken the time period of healing that it did, and moving back to my balance in overall life. If it is the same thing with you, time and suffering through it will be the remedy. That's a piss poor reality, and I hope it is different for you, but that is my personal observation from my last slump. On a positive note though, I was able to refine my stroke in the interim and once the mental ghosts disappeared, my performance took a leap. I would recommend working on purity of stroke and ride the slump out, IF it is indeed general life giving you the distractions to your winning and losing...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Nuthin beats a slump like a chump /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As soon as your aware of an outcome, or concerned about slump, bills, the girl friend, work, ad infinitum your getting in your own way. I say to Hell with winning or loseing just go out and play like u can. Calm mind, cocky stroke. That's all it is one ball at a time. St.

sack316
09-15-2005, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What's going in other areas of your life? My slump which lasted several months didn't go away until I got past some subconscious turmoil giving me a diminished attitude of fun with the game. In my case it would have taken the time period of healing that it did, and moving back to my balance in overall life. If it is the same thing with you, time and suffering through it will be the remedy. That's a piss poor reality, and I hope it is different for you, but that is my personal observation from my last slump. On a positive note though, I was able to refine my stroke in the interim and once the mental ghosts disappeared, my performance took a leap. I would recommend working on purity of stroke and ride the slump out, IF it is indeed general life giving you the distractions to your winning and losing...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Thank all of you for your replies, we'll see how practice goes tonight! I'm hoping it will be kind of like Sid said here when I do finally break out of it. The positive out of this slump is I've found a few holes that were in my mechanics even what I was shooting good, so hopefully once I get over the hump here theoretically I should be better than ever (my optimistic hope right there). Hey , if not I still play a lot of poker and can always go back to bowling! lol, again, thanks y'all for your responses!
Johnny

sack316
09-16-2005, 12:59 AM
quick update, had a great practice session this evening with a buddy that's also playing with us this weekend. Started off a bit slow, but somewhere in there things started clicking and I shot like the old me. We were doing some point races to gear up for this weekend, and one match I held him to 6 balls. Everything was so clear. I even played another buddy who is better than me and beat him staright up in points. Even got to do a little showing off, which I haven't been able to do in a while. For the first time in weeks I felt that flare, focus, and rhythm that people are used to seeing. I even got several comments from people saying that they'll never play against me (I missed hearing that from time to time).
I'm not saying I'm back 100%, but my focus and motivation was all there again. If I can pull that out of me on Saturday I look forward to a good weekend. Thanks you all for your help and wish me luck.