PDA

View Full Version : Shooting w/ your eyes closed does wonders

06-19-2002, 02:14 PM
Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I was on the 9ftr the other day doing long straights. I was dogging most of them. A local pro then tells me when I pull back, prior to pulling the trigger, close your eyes. I missed 5 in a row with my eyes open. Then made 4 in a row with my eyes closed. Needless to say, I was shocked and my confidence took a leap. Can't say I did't miss anymore long straights but lets say in 10 I made 7 during the course of the evening.

Rod
06-19-2002, 03:29 PM
Kahn, that subject hasn't been brought up in a while, glad you see the value of a good stroke. It takes away the instinct of trying to hit at a ball, or steer it in any way. I imagine Anxiety, for lack of a better word is an issue here to some degree. When we miss, or at least a poor stroke, there is usually some kind of maneuver. It can be caused by tension, as in tightening up on the grip (common) just as we pull the trigger. Others include a move with the wrist, arm, shoulder, head or body. The point being when your eyes are closed the cue just swings freely. You can't or won't want to maneuver what you can't see.

That is a good drill to get in touch with your sense of feel in your hand and arm, not to mention the rest of your body and balance. Use that to analyze what's different with your eyes open. It can be helpful, glad to hear it worked well for you.

As a foot note you may notice a difference in your rythm, it may not be as fast.