PDA

View Full Version : Portable Hand Powder for Non sticky cue?

MacGyver
09-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Well that topic was mainly for the searches, because searching for hand, sticky cue and powder turned up less than spectacular results....Anyway the question is this:

What do you guys use during longish sessions(2-6 hrs) to keep your hand/cue from getting sticky?

I know hand chalk is an answer, but the only ones I've seen are bigger than what I could carry in my cue cases' pouch.

I'd rather not use gloves, because generally I am fine, it is only after hands getting really dirty does dirt accumulate on the hands...

I've tried washing my hands, but that will only make it stickier because without a light coat of dryskin/dust on the skin, it grabs the cue.

I've tried putting cue chalk on my thumb/first finger, but it is abrasive, colored and wears off fast and usually leaves hand dirtier.

So anyway, I've seen some products that are liquids that you rub onto the cue... would a little bottle of this wrapped in a cloth for application work mid-game?

Are there any portable things of powder for sale, or should I get a pill bottle and baby powder and make something myself?

Will baby powder work the same as other chalks sold in billiard stores?

Sorry for what may seem like a stupid question, but since I don't have my own table, and I usually only carry around my cue case, I need a solution that can keep my hand in playable condition for a long time and is also super portable.

Thanks for any solutions!

Rich R.
09-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Many will just tell you to keep washing your hands and wiping down the shaft of your cue, and it will work, for the most part.

I have not tried the new liquid hand or shaft treatments, so I can not comment on them. Some contain silicone and I don't like to apply silicone to wood. It's just my thing.

I am old school and I don't mind using a little bit of powder on my hands and shaft, when needed.

My personal recommendation is DO NOT use baby powder. Those products contain a little bit of oil and I don't think they are as good as powders made for pool.

I use Silver Cup powder, which can be puchased from Mueller's catalog and it is a large container for only a few dollars. I transferred some of this powder into a smaller container, which fits nicely into my cue case. Also on the market, are small cloth bags of powder, that come in resealable plastic bags. I have not used one yet, but I plan to give it a try.

Let me add, when using powder, a little goes a long way. You don't have put enough on your hands, to leave a trail all over the table. Just put a little bit on your hands and wipe your hands together to get it into the pours and remove the excess. I doesn't take much and you will not leave a trail on the table cloth.

heater451
09-17-2005, 08:13 AM
I never actually use it, but I've got one of those cloth bags, filled w/ powder, that's about 2x3 or 3.5 inches. I think you can get them in billard halls, although they may be the same as a rosin bag that you can get at a bowling alley.

The bag comes in a little zip-lock type plastic bag too, so that powder doesn't just get everywhere.

I think I got mine when someone left it behind one night--about 4 yrs ago. . . .It stays stuffed in the bottom of my (soft) case.

==========================

ceebee
09-17-2005, 10:05 AM
I gave up the chalk, after 45 years of using it, for the glove. $12.95 will set you free.

ras314
09-17-2005, 10:29 AM
MacGyver,

I have my own table and hand chalk is not allowed in the same room. LOL But then I keep the RH below 45% and the temp usually below 75 deg.

I have occasionally been places where I had to wash my hands, only problem was when I couldn't get them dry quick enough. I carry a towel for drying hands and cleaning the shaft, almost never use the hand chalk. When I do I look for a small piece and rub it on the shaft, transferring a little chalk to the fingers while practice stroking. Why not just carry a little piece in a zippy bag?

As you might guess I hate white chalk blotches on the cloth. Not only is it ugly it gets on the balls also. Good thing I don't run a pool hall, anybody leaving big ol hand prints would either vaccuum the whole table or hit the door. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pied Piper
09-17-2005, 05:47 PM
I just started a league for the first time. I have never played on a league before. Usually just some tournaments and one on ones. I have noticed that my hands get sweaty more often. I usually use one of those rosin bags but the cue will start getting caked up and not as slick. But on a more interesting note, i experimented with a bag of extremely fine wood powder. It absorbs the sweat really quick and doesn't cake up the cue. It does make a heck of a mess but if you put a little in your palm rub your hands over a trash can, then it isn't too bad. Haven't had that many problems since. It's the weird things that seem to work some time. Like kick shots and masses.

MacGyver
09-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Just wondering, but when you say:

"Why not just carry a little piece in a zippy bag?"

A little piece of what kind of chalk?

My problem is just that I don't know what to get, are you saying I should buy a big triangle or torus shaped thing of white hand chalk and break off a piece and keep it in a ziplock?

I'll look into getting some Silver Cup powder and transfering to something managable...

I actually have a graphite <$20 cue from walmart, does anyone know what I should apply to the shaft in order to reduce friction, or should I just wipe it down with a cloth and focus on getting my skin to stop sticking?

Re: the glove, I wouldnt mind in a pool hall or in a private setting, but I mostly play on my college campus, and then I am located in the student union, which also has food, couches and TV...

Needless to say, there would be much more distraction with a glove just due to people walking through commenting on it, and it is hard enough to concentrate on a shot without someone walking by commenting on a glove during your backstroke.

Thanks all, I'll order some pool hand powder from somewhere online, does anyone have any USA store suggestions or any advice on the liquid substances that are applied to your cue?

pooldaddy9
09-18-2005, 03:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> Re: the glove, I wouldnt mind in a pool hall or in a private setting, but I mostly play on my college campus, and then I am located in the student union, which also has food, couches and TV...

Needless to say, there would be much more distraction with a glove just due to people walking through commenting on it, and it is hard enough to concentrate on a shot without someone walking by commenting on a glove during your backstroke.

<hr /></blockquote>

Do you want sticky or smooth? The glove works great but you still need to keep the cue clean. People are going to talk anyway. Try it before you knock it, you did ask what would help.

Fast_Eddie
09-18-2005, 05:18 AM
For any non wood shafts cuetec makes a shaft conditioner in a small bottle that works fine.

Rich R.
09-18-2005, 05:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> I'll look into getting some Silver Cup powder and transfering to something managable...
<hr /></blockquote>
Silver Cup talc
http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm?CFID=1178330&amp;CFTOKEN=b7a8b7ed22751814-693E8A33-D61C-4F06-B6D816D4CE9A14ED&amp;Fuseaction=Catalog.Product&amp;produc tID=3945

BTW, using the talc doesn't mean you shouldn't keep your shaft clean. After use, wipe with a damp paper or cloth towel and then dry.

ras314
09-18-2005, 07:09 AM
"A little piece of what kind of chalk?

My problem is just that I don't know what to get, are you saying I should buy a big triangle or torus shaped thing of white hand chalk and break off a piece and keep it in a ziplock?"

Often there will be broken pieces from that torus thing on a stick laying around. I asked a guy playing in the US Open last year about using baby powder as he had one of the name brand plastic bottles on his table. He seemed to think that was a stupid question but explained it was powdered up chalk from the powder on a stick stuff in the bottle. Most seem to dump a little chalk on the table and use it sparingly. And wipe the shaft with a towel quite often.

onepocketfanatic
09-18-2005, 08:40 AM
I take my cue back to the maker (wood shaft), and he cleans and polishes it on a lathe. This usually keep the shaft clean and very slick for about a month or month and a half. He does this at no charge, but I am not sure if all of them would do it free.
Another thing he told me to do (and it works very well) is to take a very very slightly damp cloth to clean the shaft, and then take some extremely fine wet/dry sand paper (don't remember the grit but it has almost no abrasive qualities) and generate a lot of heat with the sandpaper to "seal" the shaft again. This will usually last for about a month as well (I play 3 or so times per week). If my hands get sticky, I simply wash them with soap and water and dry them very well. The shaft is smooth as silk again.

Leviathan
09-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Pretty much the same with me, ceebee. Like you say, it sets you free: if you use a glove you can just forget about the problem.--AS

raodwarior
09-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Slip Stik and wash your hands when needed. Other option is Silky Hand.

Fast_Eddie
09-19-2005, 02:49 AM
The ole green kitchen brillo pad is hard to beat at keeping all contaminates off and slick as a mink!

ceebee
09-19-2005, 10:41 AM
I blew off the glove idea for a long time, because of comments made by others. I finally said to myself, "who gives a S**T what other folks think, it's hot &amp; muggy in Oklahoma &amp; Texas, so I'm gonna do what I gotta do."

I never have to wonder what they think, when I have their cash... Ha! Ha! Ha!

Bob_Jewett
09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> ... Sorry for what may seem like a stupid question, but since I don't have my own table, and I usually only carry around my cue case, I need a solution that can keep my hand in playable condition for a long time and is also super portable.

Thanks for any solutions! <hr /></blockquote>
I think anyone who gets talc on the table should be horsewhipped. I'm the big guy with the tatoos.

Learn to use an open bridge. Seriously.

tjlmbklr
09-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Try Pro glide, it is sold in Muellers, Steve Miserick endorses it. It is a liquid that takes about 30 seconds to dry (with alittle help blowing on it) then it appears as a powder and feels way smoother but without the mess.

MacGyver
09-19-2005, 02:27 PM
"Learn to use an open bridge. Seriously."

odd comment, all i've EVER used is an open bridge...

my issue is that the skin on my thumb and finger moves back and forth with the cue which gives a very odd feeling... I dont need a ton of talc just a pinch to go on that little "v" of skin where I bridge at.

With the Pro Glide, is that on your hand or on the shaft?

I am going to set asside some money and visit a store like http://www.poolndarts.com/ and just buy some different talc's and liquid things, and also possibily some other accesories...

Does anyone have any other good USA pool stores, preferably with free shipping and great prices? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Searches seem to turn up a TON of results and other than poolndarts as mentioned in this thread I don't know of any other's.

Bob_Jewett
09-19-2005, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> "Learn to use an open bridge. Seriously."

odd comment, all i've EVER used is an open bridge...
... <hr /></blockquote>
Hmm... I've never had a problem with the stick binding when I use an open bridge. ...
Now I see the problem:
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> I actually have a graphite &lt;$20 cue from walmart, <hr /></blockquote>
I think you will find that a wood cue, even a cheap wood cue, will slide much more easily on your bridge hand. You can test this as follows: go to a room/bar that has wooden sticks. Take out your sheet of #400 wet-or-dry sandpaper. Clean the stick. Use it for an evening. Report your results. It may be better to not let the barkeep see you sanding his stick, even though it will really, really need the attention.

Trying to fix the deficiencies of a $19 stick with talc, glove, or whatever, is a mistake. There are some graphite sticks with specially prepared surfaces that reduce the all-too-frequent binding experienced with graphite and fiber glass, but your stick doesn't seem to be one of them.

Rich R.
09-20-2005, 02:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr>Does anyone have any other good USA pool stores, preferably with free shipping and great prices? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
Try these.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/

http://www.seyberts.com/

Rich R.
09-20-2005, 02:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr>Does anyone have any other good USA pool stores, preferably with free shipping and great prices? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
Try these.

http://www.seyberts.com/

tjlmbklr
09-20-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With the Pro Glide, is that on your hand or on the shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

On your hand, it has a pleasent smell too. just rub it on your bridge friction areas(inside thumb and forefinger for me) and it dries and appears as a powder but is so much nicer due to not leaving a residue.

Bob_Jewett
09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
With the Pro Glide, is that on your hand or on the shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

On your hand, it has a pleasent smell too. just rub it on your bridge friction areas(inside thumb and forefinger for me) and it dries and appears as a powder but is so much nicer due to not leaving a residue. <hr /></blockquote>
But try a decent cue first. There is no point in layering on bogus fixes to try to patch your fundamental problem, which seems to be your graphite cue.

Fast_Eddie
09-20-2005, 11:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr>Does anyone have any other good USA pool stores, preferably with free shipping and great prices? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
Try these.

http://www.seyberts.com/ <hr /></blockquote>

Also great prices and low low shipping

http://stores.ebay.com/American-Cowboy-Billiards_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQdptZ0QQftidZ2QQtZkm

catscradle
09-22-2005, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> Try Pro glide, it is sold in Muellers, Steve Miserick endorses it. It is a liquid that takes about 30 seconds to dry (with alittle help blowing on it) then it appears as a powder and feels way smoother but without the mess. <hr /></blockquote>

I concur with this. I tried pro glide and still prefer to just keep my hand and cue clean, but this is the best product at handling this situation and if I lived in a climate where some kind of treatment was a neccessity that is what I'd use.