PDA

View Full Version : Custom cue and 'elite' production cue - Opinions

06-19-2002, 04:35 PM
Guys and gals pool expert,

Ask for opinion if you have certain amount of money let say $1.5K - 2K - would you buy 'elite' production cue such as Schon LTD,... or custom cue like Southwest, Lambros, or anything like that?
And why?

Just wondered in my head - what would expert would choose...

Thanks a lot in advance

TheFish
06-19-2002, 07:54 PM
I would get a custom just because at that amount of money you deserve something unique. Recently i just bought a custom Gilbert for 700 US off ebay, but before that I was going to spend about 1500 on a Capone, SW, Scruggs or Harris. It never occured to me to pay that much for a Schon or Joss (east) just because you can get a custom cue to your specs from one of the great cuemakers at the same price. Plus,most production cues use a metal joint which I personally do not like the hit of.

The onyl problem with buying a nice custom cue is the wait. If you are getting it direct from the maker I heard SW is 7 years, Capone is abuot 1 year. not sure about the others. But in general i have heard great things abuot lambros, capone, sw, harris, scruggs, schick and a few others (yes Gilbert too - great prices by the way).

Scott Lee
06-19-2002, 10:51 PM
In the 2nd Ed. of The Blue Book of Cues, they list prices for both 'elite' brands like Schon, and also custom cue makers like Southwest, Samsara, Cognoscenti, etc. The "used" values for Schon are lower than when they were new...the same prices for higher end custom cues were higher. That should tell you something. Any wholesaler can buy a $2000 Schon for $1100-$1200. You can't discount a custom cue maker...unless you are a dealer buying several cues. I would say the custom cues would hold their value better, and might even increase in value over time. JMO

Scott Lee

06-19-2002, 11:54 PM
Thank you for the reply,
and for thefish - did the Gilbert cue you bought hit as you expected?
I also heard that metal joint from experience cuemaker would feel differently than it would from regular production cue - any opinion on this one?
Just my feeling that metal joint is stronger than flat face wood to wood joint...is that true?

thank you so much

TheFish
06-20-2002, 12:28 AM
I played with a few cues before (as most probably have), a predator, a huebler with a flat faced wood to wood, a nova custom with i forgot what joint, a meucci with the phenolic, a capone, and a schon.

I can tell u the most delicious hit i got was from teh heuble wood to wood flat faced..it felt solid. WHen you hit the ball, you could feel what you were hitting.

As for the gilbert, i havent received it yet (should be here tomorrow) but once i do i will be sure to speak my mind about it. But from what i have read here, there seems to be a small,. but dedicated following to his skills.