PDA

View Full Version : Olhausen Sahara pocket problem

apsaragold
09-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi guys:
I recently bought a used 8' Olhausen Sahara. The table is in excellent condition and was professionally installed by a man who is currently out of the country. The one problem the table appears to have is that when a railed ball (or one within an inch of the rail) is hit into a corner pocket with moderate velocity it bounces out. This happens on a regular basis with two of the corner pockets. I cannot see any difference between the pocets that don't have the problem and the two that do. I wonder if any other Sahara owners have had a similar problem. Your input will be appreciated.

sneakypapi
09-17-2005, 05:01 PM
I am not 100% familiar with that model, but I am curious if it has leather covered drop pockets (medal frame with a leather type of pocket) instead of say a Grown Crown which is fixed and built into the table itself?

The reason I ask this is I play on a leather drop pocket Olhausen myself and noticed that on many occasions esp. harder shots the balls will bounce back out. I have found that sometimes the pocket has dropped down towards the back and has come loose to cause a spring effect and the ball will shoot out on the table.

Overall, I am not impressed with Olhausen's quality.

Barbara
09-17-2005, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote apsaragold:</font><hr> Hi guys:
I recently bought a used 8' Olhausen Sahara. The table is in excellent condition and was professionally installed by a man who is currently out of the country. The one problem the table appears to have is that when a railed ball (or one within an inch of the rail) is hit into a corner pocket with moderate velocity it bounces out. This happens on a regular basis with two of the corner pockets. I cannot see any difference between the pocets that don't have the problem and the two that do. I wonder if any other Sahara owners have had a similar problem. Your input will be appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

Can you take a picture of the pockets and post them to show us how they're cut? that is, I'd like to see the angle of the cut into the back wall of the pocket.

Barbara

apsaragold
09-18-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your reply, Barbara. I have four photos that show the pocket in question at different angles, but there appears to be no facility to attach files to this post. Can you advise me how I can send the photos to you?
Andrew

apsaragold
09-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a leather drop pocket. I guess I'm on the other side of the fence regarding the Olhausen vs Brunswick question, but hey let the marbles roll!
Andrew

Barbara
09-18-2005, 07:53 AM
You can email me at TourCoordinator@newt9ball.com

Barbara

Barbara
09-18-2005, 09:52 AM
After looking at the pics you sent me, all I can say is to contact Olhausen and describe your problem to them and ask to have a mechanic be sent out to your house.

IMO, the lip of the pocket you outlined in your pics shouldn't be there at all. There should be a smooth transition from cloth to leather pocket.

Barbara

Brad
09-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Any idea how old the table is? The only reason I ask is Olhausen switched from RC pockets to Hood pockets about three years ago. The Sahara uses a bucket pocket. The edges are tacked in with a nail. Then, the front is stapled(or screwed) underneath the slate. It could be that the straps stapled underneath the slate were pulled too tight, causing the bucket to be angled.

But, whatever it is, previous posters were correct. Have a mechanic come out and take a look at it.

Brad