PDA

View Full Version : Chalkers.

Pied Piper
09-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Ok I just got a magnetic chalk holder, and Love it. It helps me keep a rythm of shooting and chalking and continuing again. I never realized how much chalk makes a difference. For some reason my shots seem to be much more affective and "True". I must not have been chalking all that often. Has anyone else experienced this?

pooldaddy9
09-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I know it is hard to do but it is best to chalk before every shot.

ceebee
09-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Chalking the cue, before every shot, has been part of my routine for 45 years.

Pizza Bob
09-18-2005, 05:41 AM
I went the magnetic route for years. Didn't use the little metal box supplied - too much of a PITA. Try gluing flat washers to the bottom of your chalk - good contact cement will work. I now use a "Chalk Pocket" - like the snooker players (Karen Corr uses one). Mine is by Florida Fred, but don't think he's around anymore. Sir Joseph (of glove fame) makes one. Even easier than the magnet.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

pooldaddy9
09-18-2005, 06:07 AM
I had one with a magnet but it kept falling off too easy. So now I've got the one with the retractable string. Works a lot better for me. Everyone is different.

onepocketfanatic
09-18-2005, 08:43 AM
What ever works for you is great. I lost too many of the blasted magnetic type, so I went to the ones that have the plastic piece that you can put into your pocket (either front or back pocket).
Not only do I chalk more often, but miscue a lot less since some of the rooms use the really cheap chalk that doesn't adhere to the tip very well.

houseman
09-18-2005, 09:34 AM
I chalk after I shoot ?
Sorry couldn`t resist being a smart azz on Sunday morning.
I have keep the chalk in my hand while shooting for 40 years.

Fast_Eddie
09-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I go nowhere without my cue or my tip tools and of course my blue masters chalk! Anyone try that Balabuski chalk?

Flinn
12-30-2006, 10:13 AM
I like the pocket chalkers with the stick that goes in your pocket too. I got a nice StediStik one with a walnut handle here: Walnut Pocket Chalker (http://www.stedistik.com)

cushioncrawler
12-30-2006, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pied Piper:</font><hr> Ok I just got a magnetic chalk holder, and Love it.... <hr /></blockquote>
I agree with PizzaBob who glues a washer to his chalk, but i do it a bit differently. Take a block of chalk and saw it in half with a hacksaw. Take the plastic chalk holder and smash it to smithereenyz -- salvage the square metal base, and araldite it to the bottom of a half-block. I clip the magnet into my belt, behind me. When the half-block is worn out, knock off the metal base and araldite it to the other half-block -- the araldite sticks to the chalky-cut ok.

A full-block sticks out and looks really really stupid, and iz uzually knocked off sometime during every game. Once my full-block woz knocked off &amp; rolled across the table, i woz lucky that it didnt touch a ball (foul) -- wouldnt happen with a half-block. madMac.

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Chalk Dude...not being smart, that's the name of my magnetic holder, been so for years. Yes, it does get lost from falling off at times and yet, that's all I like and all I am habitual toward. Beyond carrying extra chalk, I am "tool-less", meaning that the tip needs chalk always, but nothing else...sid

mantis
12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I simply carry the chalk with me from shot to shot. I chalk the cue while I am moving to the next shot and surveying the table. I place the chalk down next to me in between shots, and pick it up after the shot to do it all over again (assuming I made the last shot of course).

Isshi
12-31-2006, 12:59 PM
My solution is a 'pocket chalker' from Muellers:

http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm?CFID=5083866&amp;CFTOKEN=4b66a9da6237a9b7-DA1004F9-D61C-4F06-BDD115B25C97B551&amp;Fuseaction=Catalog.Product&amp;produc tID=5742

It's a flexible plastic cup that grips the chalk cube, attached to a short
plastic wand. You slide the plastic wand into your pocket, and the chalk
cube dangles there at the edge of your pocket, at hand but not in the way.

This allows me to chalk up between shots without ever taking my eyes
off the balls. I like that, it allows me to entirely ignore anything but the
lay of the balls on the table, and totally zone in.

As the chalk cube wears down, I'll remove it after a few sessions,
sand it down, then place shims under it to keep the exposed
face of the cube accessible.

Two catches though:
1) Attach a longer stiff rod to the plastic wand, the factory version is
too short, and will fall out frequently if not modified.

2) When someone comes to play me, they have to bring their own
chalk, and their chalk cube sitting on the rail becomes a nuisance-
I like clear rails with no loose items perched thereon.

Regards, Isshi.

Snapshot9
01-01-2007, 08:29 AM
A good friend of mine makes and sells chalkers. Little house cue with leather holder with conchos on them. They come in natural (tan color), red, and black. Without conchols is $18, with conchos is $20. He sells these in Vegas 3 times a year, and always sells out of them. PM me if interested, I have his phone number. He is a representative of Renis and Jacoby cues.

Isshi
01-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Umm, Snapshot9, what's a 'concho' ?

Snapshot9
01-02-2007, 04:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Isshi:</font><hr> Umm, Snapshot9, what's a 'concho' ? <hr /></blockquote>

A Concho is usually a silver or nickel plated round piece of metal. Go here to see. The ones on the chalker are slotted Southwestern styled conchos. Page down a little.
Slotted Conchos (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?dept=124)

jjinfla
01-02-2007, 06:08 AM
No need for chalk if all you hit is center ball.

I have the chalk on a stick but if there is a good piece on the table I prefer to use that one and carry it with me from shot to shot.

Why do people always have to place the chalk on the rail with the chalk side down?

Now that I think about it I really can't remember seeing any pros using a chalk holder. Corr and Martin have little aprons for their chalk.

Jake

Sid_Vicious
01-02-2007, 10:32 AM
"Why do people always have to place the chalk on the rail with the chalk side down?"

You got me. I've asked many who do that and they still keep on doing it even after they know the negatives and opposing opinions. Born buttheads I guess...sid

wolfdancer
01-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Born buttheads I guess
Actually not...there is a scientific explanation behind this.
Somewhere between 10 and 21% of the population are born without a Palmaris Longus tendon.
Amongst pool players, this deprived percentage seems much higher....further study is necessary.
these poor folks can not turn the wrist outward, to the palm up position it would take to place the chalk on the rail, green side up.

bsmutz
01-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I got some of the Balabushka chalk for free when I bought a shaft one time. I really liked it, but for the added expense and the fact that I still have several years' supply of Masters, I haven't bought any. It seemed to be finer grit and stayed on the tip longer than Masters. YMMV

mantis
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I really dislike (mildly put) it when people put the chalk down face first, especially on my home table. I always try to turn it over after they do it to politely suggest that they not do it on my table before actually asking them to stop.

Wolfdancer- What do you do that you know of the palmaris longus muscle, and that a small percentage of people do not have one?

Sid_Vicious
01-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Are you serious????sid

SPetty
01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> A good friend of mine makes and sells chalkers. Little house cue with leather holder with conchos on them. They come in natural (tan color), red, and black. Without conchols is $18, with conchos is $20. He sells these in Vegas 3 times a year, and always sells out of them. PM me if interested, I have his phone number. He is a representative of Renis and Jacoby cues. <hr /></blockquote>I bought a couple of these from Jacoby in Vegas. They are real nice. And Spiderman can attest - they're flushable!

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=24161&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

hhilario
01-09-2007, 08:59 AM
I've been using a magnetic chalker for a good time, which I prefer above retractable ones as they deteriorate easier.

Leaving the chalk over the rails ends in one of 3 things: 1) falling and being stepped over; 2) some of it ends all over your shirt/pants as a vivid reminder to your wife (or whoever does laundry) that you were in a pool hall; or 3) Upside down leaving chalk marks all over the board and cushion cloth.

mworkman
01-10-2007, 07:58 AM
I like the pocket chalkers also. What I did was cut about a 1/3" off of the cube holder. It still holds the chalk firmly and I use a brushing motion when I chalk. I find I can get a lot more out of a piece of chalk this way and it lasts a lot longer.

Icon of Sin
01-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I usually keep a piece in my pocket, helps keep my rhythm and i know it's a good piece. Who knows what else may be mixed in by accident with house chalk. It may be blue master, but someone might have spilled a beer in it or used there own chalk of a different color and then used that chalk.

Im kinda obsessive like that.