PDA

View Full Version : What would attract you to a bible study?

monkeydude20
09-17-2005, 06:06 PM
What would be the reason (or reasons) for going to a bible study? If you're not in high school, imagine that you are in order to answer this question.

9 Ball Girl
09-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Cute guys. That would've been my high school mentality.

ras314
09-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Girls, cute not required. That WAS my high school mentailty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

monkeydude20
09-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Ok anything but cute guys or girls. Because as of now we have no high schoolers besides me, so imagine also that there are no high schoolers there.

ras314
09-17-2005, 08:10 PM
A pool table and some good players I could learn from. I think there is a trick shot artist or two with this approach.

Cueless Joey
09-17-2005, 08:26 PM
To hear Wendy's juicy confessions.

Dagwood
09-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Amen....

9 Ball Girl
09-18-2005, 04:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> To hear Wendy's juicy confessions. <hr /></blockquote>Yes, at 17 I used to like to drink Vodka out of my Tropican Oranje Juice container. Pa rum pum!

ras314
09-18-2005, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Yes, at 17 I used to like to drink Vodka out of my Tropican Oranje Juice container. Pa rum pum! <hr /></blockquote>
And then what happened, tell us more little girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif : /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
09-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Remembering back when I was in high school, we all wanted to hang around with our own age group. Nobody wanted to hang out with adults at that age. You could try forming a teen club bible study group and throw in some social events, like dances and maybe a ski trip or something like that.

When I was 15 I joined a teen club at my church. I have to admit my reason for joining had nothing to do with religion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was about the prospect of meeting new boys. But nonetheless, it got me there.

Fran

9 Ball Girl
09-18-2005, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>And then what happened, tell us more little girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif : /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Lets just say that at my present age of 31, I should still be grounded! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cueless Joey
09-18-2005, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>And then what happened, tell us more little girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif : /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Lets just say that at my present age of 31, I should still be grounded! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>
In that case, 10 Hail Mary and 5 Our Father prayers nightly for you for 12 weeks and a private lashing every Friday night for two years until I deemed the Lord has forgiven your sins. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dagwood
09-18-2005, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
In that case, 10 Hail Mary and 5 Our Father prayers nightly for you for 12 weeks and a private lashing every Friday night for two years until I deemed the Lord has forgiven your sins. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

But what if she's into the lashings Joey? That's not much of a pennance...

Dags

Cueless Joey
09-18-2005, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
In that case, 10 Hail Mary and 5 Our Father prayers nightly for you for 12 weeks and a private lashing every Friday night for two years until I deemed the Lord has forgiven your sins. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

But what if she's into the lashings Joey? That's not much of a pennance...

Dags <hr /></blockquote>
Never thought of that.
Hide her makeup kit and have her work for it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dagwood
09-18-2005, 03:13 PM
LMAO!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
09-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Many years ago, I was a very heavy church goer. I have since broken away. At that time I was in the choir, palyed trumpet solos, and accompanied the choir,youth group, and I was the youth rep to one of the main committees, although I can't remember what it was called. I went because we had a large and active youth group and choir, 15-20 each, and also because I had the hots for two of the girls. I did eventually go out with both, although nothing ever came out of either romance. It wasn't the bible nor the message but the people who were there. Now that same church has very few youth, the parishners are mostly over 60, and what young adults do come, most don't stay. Needless to say, they are in financial trouble.

DG

rukiddingme
09-18-2005, 05:16 PM
the begetting and the begotting...
ruk

9 Ball Girl
09-18-2005, 09:15 PM
you boys can keep on thinking of a punishment. i've gotta get to bed--i've gotta a plane to catch tomorrow morning! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
09-19-2005, 03:55 AM
Bible Study? Is that what we were suppose to be doin'? I know I burned a few doobies behind the rectory during my youth group days. Damn goodie two-shoes geeky boys ratted me out and away I went, to purgatory!!!

Cueless Joey
09-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Mile high punishment!!!
Have a great trip.

wolfdancer
09-19-2005, 09:36 AM
It seems like all the replies are centered around the social aspects of a bible study group, and that's my recollection also...the dances afterward, or the Basketball games....the group events, picnics, etc.........
And we all forgot to mention the real purpose of the group...to study, and learn about the Bible, and it's meaning for you. Is it the book, whose principles will guide you in making decisions, for the rest of your life?
Only by studying it, can you decide for yourself.

hondo
09-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Right on, Wolfie. I would go because there's a lot
of stuff in the Bible I don't know, and I've studied
it for years.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> It seems like all the replies are centered around the social aspects of a bible study group, and that's my recollection also...the dances afterward, or the Basketball games....the group events, picnics, etc.........
And we all forgot to mention the real purpose of the group...to study, and learn about the Bible, and it's meaning for you. Is it the book, whose principles will guide you in making decisions, for the rest of your life?
Only by studying it, can you decide for yourself. <hr /></blockquote>

SnakebyteXX
09-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Has anyone here ever heard/read 'The Urantia Book'? It was a pretty popular 'alternative bible' back in the seventies.

Urantia Book (http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm)

preacherman
09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
As a Christian for over 30 years and a minister of the Bible. I believe I can give you an answer. While I am not in High School anymore (graduated in 1977). I became a Christian in my teens (1975) so I was a teen when I first attended a Bible Study.

What attracted me was I was a seeking Christian with a desire to know Jesus Christ better and to understand the Bible better.

While most CCB'ers didn't take this question seriously, it is a serious and good question.

From the answers you did get you see some have other motives other than learning the Bible. And they do represent some who attend Bible Study.

But those who go and sincerely want to find out more about the Bible and Jesus they will find it at a good Bible Study.

So don't go for others but to satisfify that God given thirst to know Jesus and the Bible better.

You will also meet others people at the Bible Study who have that same desire for God as you.

Jesus loves you all, the serious and the not so serious.

I have a Christian pool site at: www.christianpoolplayers.com (http://www.christianpoolplayers.com) and also a free devotional site (short Bible thoughts/teaching) at: www.biblefood.ORG (http://www.biblefood.ORG)

Also my archived devotions are at: www.geocities.com/biblefood/archive.html (http://www.geocities.com/biblefood/archive.html)

Also check out Teen devotional at: www.TDDM.org (http://www.TDDM.org)
and www.godssimpleplan.org/gsps.html (http://www.godssimpleplan.org/gsps.html)
Jim :-)
jim@christianpoolplayers.com

Ralph S.
09-19-2005, 06:20 PM
This isn't exactly what you are referring to, but fits the thread to a degree. My mothers side of the family had a very religious upbrining with my grandfather being a Southern Baptist minister. Not the snake handling crap, but was definitely fire and brimstone.

This trickled down to my rearing. My mom put me in a private Christian school for five years. I took part on the school academic quiz team three years straight. I placed first in an individual area one year, but or Bible quiz team won state championships three consecutive years. I was on that team during that run of titles.

Don't misunderstand this, as I am still a devout beleiver in God Almighty, but bible studies was not where I wanted to be as a teen. I had more than my fair share in school them five years as well as church three times a week.

I just feel that religion is something that shouldn't be forced on a person. Many will accept religion on their own terms and in their own way.

Candyman
09-20-2005, 09:10 AM
What attracts me to attend a Bible Study is the opportunity to honor God and to learn more about his Word. The Bible is my operators manual. All of the answers for doing life are tucked away in the Bible. The more I can learn the better my chances are. I am a sinner and once lived a life far from God. Hell was my destination and I knew. My marriage was just about on the rocks. By some miracle I ended up in a church one weekend and they welcomed me just as I was. I got involved in a couple of Bible Studies. One was men only and one was a small group with couples. All of our lives are made up with a lot of decision making from morning to night. Making the right decision has profound impact on our lives and those around us. By studing the Word with these people we all hold each other accountable for our actions. I didn't all of a sudden change, but slowly my life started getting better. This would have never happed had it not been for getting involved.