PDA

View Full Version : NK drops Nuclear program

eg8r
09-19-2005, 05:18 AM
This is great news (for now). Deals have gone bad in the past or someone backs out, but hopefully that will not happen this go around.
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/19/korea.north.talks/index.html) ... [ QUOTE ]
BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Nearly three years after ordering U.N. nuclear inspectors out of the country, North Korea Monday agreed to give up its entire nuclear program, including weapons, a joint statement from six-party nuclear arms talks in Beijing said.

"This is the most important result since the six-party talks started more than two years ago," said Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei, Beijing's envoy, in a report from The Associated Press.

In exchange, the United States, China, Japan, Russia and South Korea have "stated their willingness" to provide energy assistance to North Korea, as well as promote economic cooperation.

"The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) is committed to abandoning all nuclear weapons and existing nuclear programs and returning at an early date to the treaty on the nonproliferation of nuclear weapons (NPT) and to IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) safeguards," the statement said. <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

Chopstick
09-19-2005, 07:34 AM
This may actually work because of China. If NK becomes a nuclear power then so will SK and Japan. China doesn't want to have that much hardware in their back yard.

Iran is the one that worries me. They are clearly crazy.

Barbara
09-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Oh no! Does this mean the Navy will drop their Japanese Ballistic Missile Defense program?

Barbara

eg8r
09-19-2005, 09:53 AM
LOL, doubt it. I don't think it says anything about the US quitting anything. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

hondo
09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't trust the sneaky little rascals. What
do you think, Eg?

Fran Crimi
09-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Interesting. Remember how that was one of the debate issues between Kerry and Bush? Kerry wanted to sit and chat with NK while Bush felt that a coalition of countries applying pressure to NK would work better.

Fran

eg8r
09-19-2005, 01:08 PM
You are correct. Kerry wanted to do away with the coalition that was already in place and handle it one one one. We will never know how Kerry's way would turn out, but it is looking pretty positive for Bush.

eg8r

eg8r
09-19-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't trust the sneaky little rascals. What
do you think, Eg? <hr /></blockquote> LOL, I don't trust them either. That is why I "hope" it works out this time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r