PDA

View Full Version : Money Technics?

Fast_Eddie
09-20-2005, 11:39 PM
How do you go about starting up money games if none of the tables are exchanging?
Also are you a Hustler (bait em) Or do you throw out your game?

MacGyver
09-21-2005, 12:23 AM
First off, I have never played pool for money.... However, I am a magician and I'm used to psychologically guiding people to certain actions, and also how to entice people to play things like pea & shells or 3 card monte.

Coming from the 3card monte angle, you might try working with a partner.... He can be the better player and come in and start getting action, but if people realize he is too good, you could decide to play him, he could lose on a fluke scratch or miss, and then you are at the money table and perhaps people you met earlier that night who know you aren't that good might want to play you at the same stakes as previous game.... Just a thought(this psychology is used heavily in 3 card monte where the first couple players are plants that will win in order to entice others to play the "easy" game).

Another thought is to start small and plant the idea into their head... start out playing for price of next game(at bar tables), then perhaps for a round of drinks(lose this one leaving you out $5 dollars or whatever).

Then ask if you can recoop the cost of the drinks by playing a game for $5 or $10...

Just some thoughts to get the ball rolling, so to speak... I'd like to hear what actually works though /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

100andout
09-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Well, in my experience, if your out hustling in bars, what you were talking about may work.

All the gambling I've done/seen in "real" pool rooms is usually between players that know eachother, or know a friend of a friend kinda thing to get a feel for how they should gamble. Then they take about 3 hours to jaw back and forth to figure out a game, then they play.

I think the days of "sneaking" into a pool room slowing your speed down and taking all the cheese from the unsuspecting whale are long gone. I think it's make a game, then play as good as you need to to win, or....not.

ras314
09-21-2005, 10:00 AM
I have not played any money games in more years than I care to admit. I seems to me the prevalence of tournaments has killed most of the easy action because almost everybody that plays a good game will recognize the top players. Also the internet has pretty much spread any news of a top player in one area all over the country.

At any rate what worked years ago probably still will get you some action. Simply announce you are looking to play for money, may take a gift of gab for setting the spot. Won't take long for word to spread there is a game in town. Helps if you play any game anyone wants.

Cane
09-21-2005, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast_Eddie:</font><hr> How do you go about starting up money games if none of the tables are exchanging?
Also are you a Hustler (bait em) Or do you throw out your game? <hr /></blockquote>

First, don't gamble in Bars, unless it's very low stakes or drinks or with someone you know well... drunks do not have a sense of humour and while it may look like they hate their money, they'll sometimes follow you outside to "visit". And sometimes, they'll just use the cue to make a canoe out of your forehead and let your busted up a$$ keep the money.

Pool rooms: If you want a game, just say so. Just ask the guy running the room if there's any action. Be specific. Tell him you're looking for $20 action or $100 action or $500 action. Tell him what you want 9-Ball or 1 pocket, or 8-Ball or whatever. If you do this, spread a little change to the guy who steered you if you win (I send 15 to 20% their way, but they may have a number they want, and if you want the action, you pay the percentage). Be ready to play 9-ball, 8-ball, 1p, banks, whatever the hot game is in that particular room.

If you don't have the type of personality to walk into a room and ask for action (many don't, nothing wrong with that), then get a rack of balls, get on a table to practice, and lay a 20 or 50 or 100 on the end rail. If anyone in the place has gamble in them, they'll ask you what you're looking for and what games you'll play.

Hustler? Hell, no! Contrary to popular conception, hustlers are not always great players. They may be 4 ball runners... but they know how to find and match up with 3 ball runners. Hustling can be harmful to your health. Just lay out your best game and beat their brains out if you can. If you win, usually the other players in the room will have someone else for you to play that's just a phone call away. The danger of "hustling" is that if you lay off a little or a lot, and barely win, then bring your best for the rooms best player, then someone is going to know what you're doing and then the trouble begins. I never minded losing to a better player that brought his game. I hate a pr!@k that tries to play the room like a bunch of chumps. Win, lose or draw, I have a tremendous amount of respect for a player who walks into a room, finds a little action and brings his best game to the table.

JMO,
Bob

poolturtle
09-21-2005, 07:13 PM
I personally haven't witnessed much "hustling" where I play. Most of the money games are between friends who don't really care about making money. They just do it to keep the games interesting. Either that, or it's college kids who are playing with mommy and daddy's money, and don't care if they lose.

One thing I've used, just to keep games close between friends that know I can play, is to make "strategical errors". In other words, intentionally play a shot that I know will leave me with a low percentage 2nd or 3rd shot. That way, I can still shoot my real speed as far as shot making, but let them have more chances at the table.

You can use your imagination to apply that one to money games.