PDA

View Full Version : Jack Colavita

Steve Lipsky
09-21-2005, 07:45 AM
There is a post on AZ about the passing of another pool legend. Anyone who knew Jack from years past will tell you what a tremendous player he was, and also just how much he gave to this game of ours.

With the coming New Jersey State 14.1 Championship next week, this terrible news is all the more sad. That tournament was always Jack's baby.

Jack, you will be missed dearly. Rest in peace, my friend.

- Steve

Barbara
09-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Yeah Steve, this is really sad news. He was always gracious to me and the girls in JPNEWT when we came to play at Comet. He will be missed.

I hope Bill Haley renames the tournament to include Jack's name.

Barbara

Eric.
09-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Sad news. What a great, easy going guy Jack was. I'm one of the fortunate ones to have known Jack. Like many others, Jack has helped me with my game. Jack had an easy way of talking to you, kinda like a combination of a friend/uncle. I don't think I've ever seen him upset or angry.

Jack loved Straight Pool. He started the NJ 14.1 Championships with the hope of "keeping Straight alive". If anything, I hope those that love 14.1 will pick up the torch and run with it.

Eric >will miss Jack

Fran Crimi
09-21-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. Boy, we had so much fun back in the heydays of the Golden Q. He was never a snob like some of the other top players were. He never talked down to anybody. And he was a fantastic player. I used to love watching him for hours on end.

Back when 14.1 was the game, and everyone was stunning shots and poking at balls and jumping up all over the place, Jack's stroke was fluid and beautiful. He was a true natural. He was a master at controlling the cb at multi-rail position shots, and when everyone was struggling to make the transition to 9 Ball, Jack eased into it as if he had been playing 9 Ball all his life. I saw a little jealousy in some of the other top players because of that.

Gentleman Jack, he was called. Well deserved. You will be sorely missed.

Fran

houseman
09-21-2005, 02:16 PM
I will miss my friend Jack a lot. He came to my room every year to play 14-1 in Pete Sinklers Tournament. What a great man, and still could play well. He will be missed by all of us at D&D Family Billiards. Jack and Mosconi will be playing a 1,000,000 point game in heaven.
God Bless you Jack my friend

jackjr
09-21-2005, 07:40 PM
To everyone reading this post.

This is Jack's son (Jack Jr). My mother, sister and I was at my fathers side last night when he passed away. I never thought I would have the courage to do so, but I looked into his eyes just before he passed and told him what a great father, husband he was. I also told him I was so proud of him on all his accomplishments as a professional pool player, and that no one will ever be able to replace his style, and character. My father will always be remembered as one of the most respected and liked players of the game. The game that he loved and held so dearly to his heart. He was an only child, and basically was part of a small family. But his extended family outside his immediate family was all his friends and coleagues in his many years in the Pocket Billiard profession.

He has left behind a legacy which consisted of-
* 385 ball high run in straight pool.
* 5 Time New Jersey State Straight Pool Champion.
* 3 Time New York State Straight Pool Champion.
* New York/New Jersey King of the Hill Straight Pool
champion for 17 straight weeks back in late 1960's.
* 2nd Runner up in the 1974 US Open in Chicago.
* Numerous top 10 finishes in US Open and World
Straight Pool Tournaments.
* Was in the movie "The Player" with Minnesota Fats in
* Appeared on ABC Wide World of Sports in 1983 in a trick
shot competition with Howard Cosell.
* Won the Paul Sorvino Asthema Charity Tournament in NYC
in 1999.
* Has resurrected with Bill Haley the NJ State Straight
Pool Championship in Comet Billiards in Parsippany
which up to a couple of weeks ago was still excited
about being there to play and help run it.

I am basically touching the tip of the iceberg.

I would also like to thank the special friends who visited my father in the hospital the past few weeks. (John Bender and his wife Joan, Steve Lillis, Carmen Lombardo, Al Grasso, Bill Haley, Ron the caterer) Also the dear friends who contacted him to wish him well (Richard Black, Joe Baggio). I hope I didnt leave anyone out.

I know my dad respected everyone he ever came in contact with in the game. His legacy hopefully will live on for ever.

We love you dad (Mom, Cindy & Jack).

If anyone would be interested, there will be a write-up in the New Jersey Star Ledger tomorrow as well as the obitiuary on Viewing times.

Thanks for remembering my dad.

Jack Jr.

DickLeonard
09-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Barb is Bill Haley a relation to the famous Comet or is it a play on his name. This my 50th year class reunion and the number one song was Rock Around the Clock. It still gets my feet a dancing. ####

Barbara
09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey ####!

I just think it's a coincidence but then again, I never thought to ask. You could ask him at 973-334-7429. Or just do yourself a huge favor and show up at their 14.1 event next weekend! Great room, great tables, great players! What more could anyone ask for?

Barbara

Steve Lipsky
09-23-2005, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Hey ####!

Or just do yourself a huge favor and show up at their 14.1 event next weekend! Great room, great tables, great players! What more could anyone ask for?

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Butch, do NOT show up at this tournament. I won't be able to make a ball with you watching me, lol.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Just kidding... (But I really won't be able to make a ball.)

- Steve

DickLeonard
09-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Steve, I had played in many tournaments with Jack but I only played him once,in the Final Game for the 1970 Qualifer for the US Open at the Albany Golden Screw,which I was running at the time.

In this game I made the greatest shot I ever made. I was playing for a breakshot just off the rail near the Diamond. I was going to play it rail first with running english and follow it into the rack but I ended up opposite the object ball in midtable. I played the ball in the corner pocket, hitting the cushion first with extreme right hand english. I hit the shot perfect the ball ran down the rail, the cueball went cross table reversed and went into the rack, going up table but not leaving me a shot. I played Jack a safe up table,he made a long shot and ran 23 and out to win 150 to 142. He had a behind the rack breakshot that he hit the hardest I ever saw one hit going right thru the rack, making running the ten balls an easy task.

After the game one of my customers came over to me and said I know you must be down about losing the match but that was the greatest shot I ever saw. I said thank you Marshall but I was just happy to be in the Finals. How could you say that he asked. I said I cleaned the bathrooms between game two and three, I mopped the floors between games three and four. Between every game I had some task to do. I was lucky to be in the Finals.####

joevan
09-24-2005, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Barb is Bill Haley a relation to the famous Comet or is it a play on his name. This my 50th year class reunion and the number one song was Rock Around the Clock. It still gets my feet a dancing. #### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick,
The name is a play on his name. But Bill is no stranger to straight pool having worked and managed Ash's room in Elizabeth. Better known to most of us as High Cue...

Joe

DickLeonard
09-24-2005, 02:42 PM
joevan is the cue still in business? The last time I played there was in 1970.####

joevan
09-25-2005, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> joevan is the cue still in business? The last time I played there was in 1970.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick,
Nope. HiCue and 4 Seasons are just memories...

Joe

DickLeonard
09-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Steve, The first time I played in front of Babe Cranfield at a tournament at the Holiday Billiards in Syracuse[the most beautiful I ever played in] . I thought to myself that I would show him I could play. I ran 98 and out on Leon "Frenchy'French.

I spoke to Tony Dotlo years after, who was standing next to the Babe, what Babe said after the run. He said the Babe said I only made one mistake, I got straight on a breakshot but I jumped the cueball into the rack.

Since that time I have always used that thought to inspire my play. If you have never used that thinking give it a try the next time you play.####