PDA

View Full Version : NO ONE TO PLAY!UGHHH WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE REPLY

vinnie717
09-22-2005, 05:01 PM
im starting to really not like pool anymore.And you wont believe it started when we got a pool table.Since im too young to drive i cant go to pool halls or anything.I have no one to play around my house and im starting to suck since i have no will to practice because it is for nothing.I can play my dad 1!!! game then he makes up some lame excuse and wants to leave.On last monday he promised me to go to hall of fame billiards but when sunday came around and i was ready he said nooo we cant go we have a lot of work to do.I ended up cleaning up the garage out of boredom and he sat on his butt all day watching football and drinkin.The only place that sort of resembles a place of pool is a half ass bar across the street where you would think the cue ball is drunk.
WHAT SHOULD I DO

vince

wolfdancer
09-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Vinnie, get your friends interested in playing...teach them if you have to...
Or, by yourself....set up some goals, and try to break them.
Just practice can be dull....
Here's one game Equal offense...break a full rack, spot any balls that go down, take ball in hand behind the line and keep shooting until you miss, or score 20 points....that's your inning....and a "game" is 10 innings, or 200 points max.
Bob Jewett has more on this game...and we used to play it on line, posting scores after each inning.
Or get the rules for English Billiards....another good game to play and improve your skills on.

Ronoh
09-22-2005, 10:46 PM
When I was young, I'd have to wake up in the morning to look forward to cleaning out the stalls of the cows, sheeps and the chicken coop. I would reward myself some time at the table (that was in the basement) if my dad didn't make me do it again before I went to school.

Set a goal for your self when you're at the table if you don't have anyone to play with. Put on some music, it may help you get through the hours. Focus on a goal.

Set up shots you normaly miss and work on them to where you don't miss any of them. Work on progressive drills. Cuts, banks, 2-6 rail banks, staight in stops, draws, learn the 30 and 90 degree rules, and the list goes on.

Challenge youself.

Cane
09-23-2005, 04:04 AM
Vinnie, Walk to the pool room! When I was your age, I walked to the pool room 5 miles, every day, uphill both ways, in 2 feet of snow... with no shoes... even in August! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just kidding! We "Old Guys" are required for some reason to lie about how tough life was on us when we were "your age".

Actually, I can't understand your frustration. I started playing pool when I was 8 years old. A friend of my Dad's, a locally based road player, helped me out and played many a game with me at a local drug store that was only about a 10 minute bicycle ride from my house (level ground both ways and it rarely snowed 2 feet in Eastern Oklahoma!) Back then, it wasn't unusual in a small town for a drug store to have a pool table, at least in this part of the country. It cost 5 cents a rack to play... doesn't seem like much, but a bottle of coke was 5 cents then, too. I swept floors and cleaned counters for pool time, just to get a chance to play, even if it was by myself. When I was 13, I got my first job in a pool room as a Rack Boy. I learned a lot about woofing, matching up and pool in general from the gentlemen for whom I racked.

In my youth, I never had a problem finding anyone to play pool. There were no game cubes, or X Box or Nintendo. Video games hadn't been thought of yet. Pin Ball machines were the closest thing we had to video games, and they were very rudimentary compared to the pinball machines we see today. Pool was it! The group I hung with was either fishing, playing sandlot baseball, playing pool or scouring the ditches and roadsides for soda bottles (which had a one cent deposit on them in those days) so we could either afford a new baseball or a few games of pool. There weren't as many other things for us to do.

I know in many parts of the country, things have changed quite a lot. Rack boys are a thing of the past, there are very few jobs for people under 18, and pool room jobs are almost non-existant for teenagers. Here, our teens are fortunate in that we have a convenience store that is owned by a gentleman that loves pool, so he tore out walls and put 8 bar boxes in so the kids would have a place to gather and play. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a place like that. Life in a small town does, sometimes, have it's benefits.

Well, with all that said, I'll ask this. Is there a YMCA or Boys club in your locale? Usually these places have pool tables and plenty of people around to play. If you truly love the game, practice, but don't burn yourself out practicing, and find competition when you can, even if it's friendly competition where you just play for the fun of playing. Enjoy the game, and don't get burned out on it.

Best of luck,
Bob

randyg
09-23-2005, 05:09 AM
CANE: What happened to the wild Indians?

tjlmbklr
09-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Yah I am in the same boat. My best friend who was also my pool playing friend, (you know the kind that you can play 6 hours straight rack after rack beer after beer) moved thousands of miles away. Now the only people that play on my table are persons who only can stand one-sy two-sy games with more talking then shooting. Then I whoop them so bad they think I am the greatest player their is, even know I feel the opposite. And then they get sick of losing and lose interest in playing.......

So in other words you are all invited to come whoop my a#@ and teach me how to really play. No psycotic beligerent drunks allowed please.

Cane
09-23-2005, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> CANE: What happened to the wild Indians? <hr /></blockquote>

Randy, THEY'RE STILL HERE... At most bars on Friday and Saturday nights! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

heater451
09-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Just an additional "drill": Play against yourself, opposite-hand.

It can hold your interest a bit better, if you are playing a game and not just doing drills. And, how long it takes to get better with your goofy-hand is up to you.

Don't cheat either, when "being" the right-handed player,shoot right-handed behind the back, or use the bridge right-handed if you have to, and the same for when you are playing left.

You may have to handicap yourself some, like banking the eight with your better hand, and so on. . . .

===============================================