PDA

View Full Version : Cue ball with red dots

Drop1
09-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Can someone explain the purpose of the red dots on the cue ball? Thanks

Ronoh
09-22-2005, 10:36 PM
A cue ball with a red dot is classification of the ball.

Consider the different types of cue balls as "grade" of cue ball.

There are different tollerences to cue balls. I.E. how balanced they are, what type of "grip" they have and its durability.

From what I've seen, there are "Red Dots", "Red Circles", "Blue Triangles", "Black Triangles", "SS", and "Measle" balls. Those fall into the upper echelon of cue balls. Though I consider the "Black Triangle" the best in balance and grip of them all.

It's just a mark of the quality of ball, nothing else.

stickman
09-22-2005, 10:38 PM
It was originally used for TV. It makes it easier to see the rotation of the cueball.

MacGyver
09-22-2005, 11:44 PM
One possible explanation I've seen for the "very small single red dot" is that you can position the red dot where you intend to strike the cueball, and then hit it and check the chalk mark to see how close it is with the red dot.

Bob_Jewett
09-23-2005, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Can someone explain the purpose of the red dots on the cue ball? Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
The balls with six red dots each about the size of a small fingernail originated at carom billiards -- the kind without pockets -- so that the audience could see the spin. I think this was specially arranged by the professional carom organization (the BWA) as a sort of branding method. At first there were significant manufacturing problems and only a few were available. The carom size (61.5mm) became widely available about 2003.

Pool and snooker now also have the six-spotted cue balls.

If you meant one dot per ball, then that's a different matter. Cue balls have been marked as a sort of branding or quality indicator for about 100 years. Dots, circles, triangles, stars, company logos, and all in various colors. At one time, the "blue circle" cue ball was highly prized, but some of them were pieces of crap. I think that company doesn't make pool balls any more.

Pizza Bob
09-23-2005, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> At one time, the "blue circle" cue ball was highly prized, but some of them were pieces of crap. I think that company doesn't make pool balls any more. <hr /></blockquote>

Yo, Bob, this poor guy is probably confused enough by now - FWIW the blue circle cue ball is the Centennial cue ball and was / is made by Saluc in Belgium. Same quality as Super Aramith Pros.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob_Jewett
09-23-2005, 04:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> ... Yo, Bob, this poor guy is probably confused enough by now - FWIW the blue circle cue ball is the Centennial cue ball and was / is made by Saluc in Belgium. Same quality as Super Aramith Pros.
... <hr /></blockquote>
At one time, about 30 years ago, I think it was made by Hyatt. Regardless of who made it, there were a bunch of out-of-round blue-circle cue balls back then. I saw one of that vintage broken open, and it had a different material in the center -- looked chalky -- and the material wasn't centered. My own personal blue circle would roll off six inches on a flat table, left one time, right the next, depending on which way it was turned.