PDA

View Full Version : R.J.'s thought's on the Mighty Earl

JackPot_George
09-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Well that's how Scott Smith put's it during his introduction of the winnest player ever at the US Open.

Please excuse me if my spelling isn't the best as I'm typing on a laptop (I hate laptop keyboards).

Rental car
Plane fair
Hotel rooms
US Open tickets
Vacation days from work

This is your commitment as a pool fan that you must make in order to come to a great event like the US Open. What's the payoff? Great times with friends, eating, drinking, watching and playing pool. We're surrounded by some of the greatest pool playing talent in the world for 7 straight days in a truly prestigous event. So why am I sitting in my hotel room with George right now watching TV? Because I'm pissed and disturbed by a champions performance tonight. A performance I supposedly paid for with my hard earned dollars that disgusted me to the point that I didn't want to watch a pool match or look at a pool table for the rest of the night.

Earl Strickland laid down in front of 500 pool nuts and players tonight. Tonight, Earl embarrassed me as a pool fan and as a person that WAS a fan of Earl's. When we were looking at the table assignment's deciding whether to go to dinner tonight or not the concenses was stay, watch 2 great champions hammer on each other, how could you go wrong. Well it went wrong and fast because one man quit, one man left us all hanging wondering what we could possibly be watching. Where is this "champions" heart? Where is his champion's will and desire?

Ralf, is you ever read this or hear about this post I'd like you to know that I respect you more now as a player than I ever did. You could have sunk to Earl's level but instead you performed like a champion that you are. Earl, you performed like a brooding, whining loser with absolutely zero heart, zero pride, and zero respect for the game that you earn your living at. If I performed that way at my job like most of us I'd be fired. You just pay another entry fee and move on, damn people like me, we're not that important are we? So instead, I'm firing you, and I'm firing the people that sponsor you until that changes. To me, you've lost all credibility as a person, competitor, and as a player.

You know, this morning I watched Scott Frost grind out a win on that same TV table. He didn't have his best game but Scott Frost is a true pool warrior. Is he the most eliquent player? Nope. Is he the best? Nope. But he brought his heart when he didn't have his best and say what you will about Scott Frost he flat out earned my respect today. Earl might not have had his best but he left his heart in his hotel room instead of bringing it with him.

Earl, you did the pool world a great disservice today. You're a pathetic excuse for a professional and you should be absolutely ashamed you yourself.

Those are my thoughts. When I get home I'll be happy to discuss it further.

R.J.

dg-in-centralpa
09-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Well said RJ. Mary and I agree that Miz was disgraced by his actions. We were impressed with Ralf's reaction to all this. Unfortunately Earl will never be dropped by his sponsors. For a five time champion to blame everyone and everything for his own lack of heart, is inexcusable.

DG(Duane) - it was great meeting you

cueball1950
09-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Tap Tap Tap.....................mike

Brian in VA
09-26-2005, 05:01 AM
As a big fan of Earl's for nearly 20 years, I was also incredibly disappointed with his display in that match as well as the beating he took from Bustamante on Saturday right after lunch to finish 4th. I have 3 words for Earl.

Seek professional help!

It simply breaks my heart to see all that talent go to waste.

Brian in VA - former fan of Earl

Fred Agnir
09-26-2005, 05:52 AM
As much as I want to cheer for Earl as simply one of our sport's best players ever, he was berating Kathy (RichR's wife) apparently because she must have cheered for the opponent at some other match.

In the TV match against Francisco, Earl kept on antagonizeing Kathy every time he would make a mistake on the table. And finally, he gave up the match, pointing at her and leaving her the blame for his results. He asked her why she was even sitting there behind him and that she should be sitting somewhere else. (Kathy and Rich had assigned VIP seats that they were sitting at all week. They happened to be the seats behind one of the players. In this match, Earl was the player).

I love Kathy. I think the world of her. For him to sit there and publicly flog her was a disgrace. And in the match vs. Francisco, she was just sitting there, clapping for both Francisco and Earl. But he wouldn't stop.

At one point, he got bad position pointed at Kathy with his cue and said, "I'm going to dog this, right?"

Kathy smiled, nodded and responded, "right!"

I have no idea if she had heard what he asked, but he certainly was irate at her response!

Fred <~~~ walked out

Brian in VA
09-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I was sitting with Josh, right next to Kathy and Rich. Earl's behavior was abominable. When it was clear he had given up, Janet Schimmel (sp?) from Cue-Tec Cues and Earl's primary sponsor, came around into the pit and gave him a pep talk. All about how he needed to stay focused and come back like the champion he is. As she returned to her seat, she walked past me and made a comment to all of us, something like, "Everybody just needs to be quiet..." as if we truly were the cause of Earl's melt down. Those of us that heard it, couldn't believe it.

I believe that's referred to as enabling.

Brian in VA

JMD in VA
09-26-2005, 10:54 AM
A Message from The Mayor-

To my fellow CCBer's. First, it was a great seeing everyone again and for those 1st timer's; welcome and hope to see you next year.

Now to this post. Guys, I totally agree with RJ's post and all of the comments, but I have to ask one thing.

Did it surprise you that he acted this way?

He's been pulling this BS for years. I was not surprised at all. I wasn't upset that he did what he did & said what he said; I was embarrassed. Probably the purest 9 ball player of all time, that has some personal issues & his opinion on the way that 9 ball should be played, & he brings all of this with him into the pit and tries to use it to his advantage and everyone else's disadvantage.

Just Sunday afternoon, Timberly told me that when he played in Cambridge last weekend he was complaining about letting people break from anywhere on the table. Sunday, for those of us who were there, he was complaining about breaking from the box and players using the cut break. If it's not 1 thing with him, it's another.

Let's do this, we'll put a spot for the balls and for the break, head on and have him play any 1 of the other top 9 finishers at the Open and see who wins. My bet is that he won't get past half of them.

On another note, I have lost all respect for Janet Schimell with J-S Sales and Cuetec Cues. This woman has the nerve to say if everyone would be quiet. Are you freckin kidding me? I tell you what Janet, we'll stop talking when we don't hear a cell phone go off in the room, ok.

Bad thing is guys, most of those seats are filled because they want to see what The Punk......... I mean The Pearl is going to do and say. To see all of the crazy gear he has these days. If I were Janet Schimell, I would be embarassed that I have a player playing for me that isn't even playing with the cue he is supposed to. He's modified these cues to the "inth" degree; they barely look like cuetec's anymore. You don't see Allison wrapping golf wraps on hers and using short cues to jump with do you?

Despite this it was a great US Open Barry and staff outdid themselves this year and it was great to see "The Miz" back this year.

His Honor,
JMD in VA

P.S. I got home @ 3am. 1.5 hours, my personal best!

dg-in-centralpa
09-26-2005, 01:47 PM
I always thought that Cathy was the troublemaker in the group. Now this confirms it.LOL Seriously, just talking about the Earl escapades does not do it justice, you had to see it to believe it. This was pathetic.

DG

Barbara
09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I always thought that Cathy was the troublemaker in the group. Now this confirms it.LOL Seriously, just talking about the Earl escapades does not do it justice, you had to see it to believe it. This was pathetic.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

DG,

Anyone who's ever seen Earl in person will believe you. Last year he was playing the first player who ever coached me and had come back from 8-6 to tie Earl on the hill with a 9-ball break. I yelled out "One more time, Marty!" and got "the glare" a couple times.

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
09-26-2005, 03:27 PM
I've seen Earl several times before, but he was different this time. Maybe he didn't take his Prozac.

DG

Barbara
09-26-2005, 04:30 PM
...what Earl's personal issues are all about?

Seriously. He's a great player. He can focus like no one else. He can play unbelievably. Is he Xenophobic and just needs the slightest excuse to deride the foreign players? Or does he have some deep down issues that are so personal that know one will ever know why he flies off the handle and just acts the way he does?

Barbara

Rich R.
09-27-2005, 04:36 AM
Fred, Cathy made the huge mistake, in Earl's eyes, of cheering for Fransico, during the introductions.
Of course, he ignored the fact that she also cheered for him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

From that point on, he was blaming her for playing bad and missing shots.

Of course, Cathy wasn't the only problem, according to Earl. Fransico used powder on his hands and got some on the table. The cut break shouldn't be allowed. Etc. Etc. Etc.

The bottom line is, Earl was looking for an excuse to lose, rather than a reason to win.

If Earl keeps his mouth shut and concentrates on playing pool, no one makes the game look more easy. Unfortunately, Earl has issues, with almost everything in the room.

I have to agree with Brian, Earl should "seek professional help"

Rich R.
09-27-2005, 08:10 PM
The following three pictures were taken during the match between Earl and Ralf Souquet.
Earl stayed in these positions for long periods of time, showing no respect for Ralf.

If any other player did a fraction of the things that Earl does, during a match, the player would be disqualified. Why is Earl never even given a warning?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/p65bb239fc5e50a9c2a23ec90cb91082b/f21cbb15.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/p426fdca2d12e2fee3033ca7e179705d6/f21cbb0b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid188/p575482b0626537a49541232aa90667fa/f21cbb01.jpg

Deeman3
09-27-2005, 08:18 PM
GEEZ,

O.K. I was formerly a strong supporter of Earl. That glove is the last straw! I can put up with sulking, insulting innocent spectators and badmouthing opponents. I draw the line at wearing a riduculous looking glove. I am now firmly out of the Earl camp. I'm sure it breaks his heart...

Deeman
what do Earl and Michael Jackson have in common? Both wear a glove on their right hand for no apparent reason.....

Wally_in_Cincy
10-15-2005, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> ...In the TV match against Francisco, Earl kept on antagonizeing Kathy every time he would make a mistake on the table. And finally, he gave up the match, pointing at her <hr /></blockquote>

OMG /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This is just unbelievable.

Great job Earl. You have alienated 2 of the biggest supporters of pro pool on the East Coast

wally shakes head

(always knew Cathy was a troublemaker /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Snapshot9
10-15-2005, 07:43 AM
I agree that there would be no excuse for his behavior,
but do you think that inside of him, he feels a 'sinking'
feeling, like his talent is slipping away, like he is no
longer among the elite of Pool Players? How long since he
won a tournament of significant size? Obviously, he must
have a lot of emotional chaos going on inside.

Barbara
10-15-2005, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Obviously, he must
have a lot of emotional chaos going on inside. <hr /></blockquote>

And what full time pool player doesn't???

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
10-16-2005, 05:33 AM
OK folks...I waited for weeks to be calm enough to post what I saw and heard that night, here goes. Earl ran the first rack and it looked like the Pearl was gonna find runout mode and put on a clinic. The second rack he frammed a 5 ball, went to the chair and didnt look to thrilled. So Ralf comes to the table and goes into mechanical slow mode putting a nice lil package together. Which each made ball I could see Earl sink deeper into his chair...from the pace more than anything else. His next turn to the table was a turning point when he didnt know he had ball in hand and just took a two stroke flyer at the ball.

The man was breaking down fast, Ralf felt it, the crowd witnessed it and I for one was sad for the champion because frankly he wasnt showing any respect for his craft. He began to cover his eyes and ears like a child at a b-day party...during this his sponser was sitting next to me shaking her head. A man sitting in the row behind us said "you should say something to your man"...she actually entertained this moron and said "I have plans on it". Forget the fact I lost a bet on what was my favorite player to watch play 9-Ball ever, forget the fact that I have defended him and his actions on this forum and others and forget the fact that I am a pool player.

Whats important not to forget is he payed to play and try to win his 6th title so I imagine he can do what he feels he should do. We paid to watch guys like Earl and other so we expect a certain amount of entertainment for our dollar. The most important thing not to forget is that was a little kid or two that love pool and have aspirations of greatness watching that match either live or on Accustats or BCN and now they think its ok to WIG out when it doesnt go their way!!!

I wont talk bout this anymore cause it turns my stomach...to think all my great memories of the Open had Earl in them and now the worst memory is of him too.

Steve Ferraro...Miami, Fla /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Drop1
10-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Earl will be back,and stronger than ever. He needs take a look,at what his proplems are,and maybe get some balls,besides the ones on the table.

thecardman
10-17-2005, 05:41 AM
I have seen Earl go off on his self-distructive paths in the past at the World Championships in Cardiff, Wales. On one occasion, in 2000, he was playing a UK-based player (may even have been Rob McKenna from Cardiff) and, of course, the crowd were supporting the UK player on every shot with applause and cheers. Earl didn't take too kindly to this and started a dialogue with members of the crowd, especially a family sitting right behind him.

Now, he didn't use any language he shouldn't have, but he wasn't exactly the nicest of people to them. What must they have thought about pool and pool players? In the end, Strickland won but on his way out of the arena, bumped into the family that he had been "talking" to. When I walked away, Earl was apologising to them and giving one of the women in the group a hug.

Another occasion was the infamous match between Earl and Steve Davis in the 2003 World Championships. I was flying home from Cardiff at the time, so missed most of it live but to say there was an atmosphere in the place when I switched on my TV to watch the last 5 or 6 racks is the biggest understatement I could come up with. He was picking verbal fights with anyone in the audience that would support Davis (that'll be most of them, then!), he was ready for physical fights against anyone who cared to challenge him and he even told referee Michaela Tabb to "shut up" when she tried to quietly diffuse the situation.

Again, Earl won the match and apologised to Michaela by giving her a bunch of flowers before his next match on the TV table.

In giving you these 2 tales, I am not - IN ANY WAY standing up for Strickland. I was as disgusted as most of the CCB gang at the Open were at his behaviour. He managed to thrown the dummy (pacifier), the toys, the blanket, the sheet, the matress and the pram out of the pram (pretty impressive!). It was THE WORST I have seen Earl act that I have ever seen in all the years watching professional pool, either live or on TV. I hope it is something that none of us ever have to sit through again.

Take care everyone and keep smiling!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif