PDA

View Full Version : Movies about gambling

06-20-2002, 12:32 AM
Since there are very few movies about pool I tend to watch movies that at least are about gambling in any form..

What do u guys think about "The Rounders"? Personally, I think it's the best poker movie through all times..

//

Voodoo Daddy
06-20-2002, 01:40 AM
Gambling movies? Well "The Sting" and "Grifters" are on my all-time great hustle/gambling flicks. "Rounders" depicted how not to get into debt with the street and focus your energies towards much larger brass rings. "Let it Ride" is the greatest "bad-beat-guy-makes-out-good" movies...the original "Mavrick" wasnt bad either. Do any of them compete with the compelling story of Fast Eddie Felson...I think not.

Voodoo...can anyone tell I bleed Simonis green?

BillPorter
06-20-2002, 05:57 AM
I recall seeing a pretty good gambling movie about a college professor who becomes a compulsive gambler. It starred James Cann. Can't recall the title due to progressive memory loss.

BillPorter
06-20-2002, 06:00 AM
To answer my own question (after consulting imdb.com), it was James Caan in the 1974 movie The Gambler. A pretty good flic in my opinion.

Lester
06-20-2002, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Gambling movies? Well "The Sting" and "Grifters" are on my all-time great hustle/gambling flicks. "Rounders" depicted how not to get into debt with the street and focus your energies towards much larger brass rings. "Let it Ride" is the greatest "bad-beat-guy-makes-out-good" movies...the original "Mavrick" wasnt bad either. Do any of them compete with the compelling story of Fast Eddie Felson...I think not.

Voodoo...can anyone tell I bleed Simonis green? *****Steve *** That's got to be one of the greatest movies, every actor plays a fantastic character. The "gambling jones" is really portrayed excellently. And Dreyfus looking at the camera and saying "Am I having a Great Day, or what?" Whenever I'm channel surfing and stumble upon this movie, I can't turn it off. No matter what part I come in on. ***Lester***

heater451
06-20-2002, 08:35 AM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Lester. . .That's got to be one of the greatest movies, every actor plays a fantastic character. The "gambling jones" is really portrayed excellently. And Dreyfus looking at the camera and saying "Am I having a Great Day, or what?" Whenever I'm channel surfing and stumble upon this movie, I can't turn it off. No matter what part I come in on. ***Lester*** [/quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
I always recall the part where he's on a roll, and says, "God likes me! He really, really likes me!!!"

It's hilarious--and I've always had a thing for Teri Garr. . . .

06-20-2002, 10:29 AM
This is a flick that I have in the personal collection.. Along with of course both Tevis treatments.

The best scene is when Cheeseburger sees Dreyfus at the 50 dollar pay window, and then goes crazy when he finds out he is betting "not in this lifetime.. PERFECT!!" Charity, the 10 horse..

In fact, I am going to plug the flick in right now, and give it a view..

cArson