PDA

View Full Version : Just back from the Open

cueball1950
09-25-2005, 02:53 AM
well i just got home from the Open. had a great but short time. actually played in the INTERNATIONAL ANNUAL CCB TOURNAMENT. Had alot of fun. Card man is taking the CCB trophy back to Scotland with him as he was the winner. My memory escapes me as to who took 2nd. Rich R and kathy and wendy (9 ball girl) took some great pictures, hopefully they will post them on here. will say more later but right now i gotta get some sleeep..................mike

landshark77
09-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Sorry I didn't make it guys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wendy.. I WILL be at VF...promise.

dg-in-centralpa
09-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Mike,
Second place went to MikeM. We had a great time and Mary is already making plans for next year.

DG

cueball1950
09-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks Duane. I hope she enjoys the cue she won. Hope to see both of you again soon. The pleasure was all mine in meeting you both for the 1st time..........................mike

dg-in-centralpa
09-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Love it? As soon as we unpacked, she got the cue out and was playing with it. She loves it a lot! We'll catch you at Valley Forge.

Duane

cueball1950
09-25-2005, 08:10 PM
well i got a little rest now and what an open it was. upsets all over the place. Watching Jose parica beat Efren on Saturday was great, maybe now Jose can get some respect.
The ccb tournament was alot of fun. On the shelf where the prizes were stacked were 3 pictures. one each of our friends that we lost in the last year. Frank Glen, Chris Cass and Dave Syrja. You will all be missed terribly by the friends and members of this board. it was a nice touch and fitting tribute. thank you rich and cathy for the pictures. got to finally meet mr and mrs dg. great having Voodoo back in the mix of things. great to see everybody else. lets see , who was there, Wendy (9ball girl) what a skirt she had on. had her screen name embroidered across the back side. kato was his usual jovial self. Rich R and his lovely wife Cathy were also in attendance. Cathy, thanks for keeping up with us again this year. Also great to see fred Agnir show up. that was a surprise for me. Also mike m. great person and always smiling. phil in sofla. one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. jack pot george. was great seing you again also. The card man... what can i say. great to meet you and take good care of the CCB trophy you won. Now we are truly an international tournament. Tom in cincy. what can i say about tom that has not already been said...lolol....nothing. what a nice and personable person. i got to talk with a person i call friend. Harold Acosta on wendy's phone. wish i had more time to chat with you. but it was great hearing your voice and knowing that you were there in spirit. Barry behrman showed up and thanked us all for always coming to the Open and supporting him. I got to meet Timberly, she came with Tina, last name escapes me. she had just won the vnea amatuer nationals. also finally got to see what nostroke looks like. A very nice and personable fellow of few words. Glad to meet you. I know i am leaving alot of people out so please forgive me as i am still somewhat tired.
Oh...before i leave i must say thank you to brady behrmans wife and her staff at the Yukon Steak House for the great service and the very very generous discount that we received.
Thanks must also go out to the wait staff at Q-masters that took excellent care of us all on Saturday during The CCB Tournament....................mike

thecardman
09-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Just a quick post while sitting in the lobby of the Holiday Inn waiting to get to the mall (need to buy a bag - too much luggage!!!).

Many, many thanks to EVERYONE who made me feel so welcome at the CCB tournament and, in fact, the whole week. It was, simply, one of the greatest pool weeks that I've experienced so far.

I'll post properly in a week or so, once I'm home in Scotland. Right now, I've got a magic convention to prepare for.

With thanks and best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
09-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Sounds like a great time. I really hate that I missed it this year. Hopefully, circumstances will allow me to return again next year.
I can't wait to see the pictures when they get posted!
Steve

Brian in VA
09-26-2005, 10:10 AM
This was my 4th year attending and it just gets better and better every year! The CCB tournament was a good time, although I now know that I don't play well with a hangover so I apologize to all my partners during the event. I hope the two trophy winners enjoy their hardware. I promise to make those again next year.

It's always great seeing old friends, making new ones and soaking up the atmosphere of one of the biggest events in pool.

I'll surely forget someone but:

Phil in SoFla - it's always good to see you and trade laughs. As always, your game impresses me and I learn something new each time we play.

Wendy - God you're beautiful! And your good heart shines all the way through.

Rich R and Kathy - easily two of the nicest people in the world. Great fun to be around. I'd hang out with you guys even if we weren't at a pool tournament! Thanks for all your hard work making the CCB 4 a success. The pics of the dearly departed made it seem they were still with us - and of course they are.

George - dude you are hysterical and possess a really fine game. Look forward to seeing you next year!

RJ - Always a pleasure bud! Don't let one clown spoil the circus! There are so many other good acts! Great joy to you and your new lady.

Voodoo - Wow, can you play! And what an intimidating presence! I'd like to have a beer with you in a bad part of town just so I could feel safe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mary - Really enjoyed our game together and your squeals of joy every time you made a ball. There's nothing like the joy of someone learning. Enjoy your new cue!

DG - You are a lucky man!

Cardman - great to meet a pool player from across the pond. For those of you that didn't see him do any magic, you missed a highly skilled prestodigitarian. Enjoy your trophy!

Tom in Cincy - really enjoyed the Earl story you told me yesterday afternoon. Helped me gain more insight into this tortured character. It was good to see you again this year. I've got to get to Sac Town in the near future!

As I said, I know I've left some of you off the list here and I apologize if I did.

To all of you I say thanks for visiting us here in the Old Dominion! If your travels ever bring you to Richmond please let me know so I can roll out the red carpet.

Everyone travel home safely!
Warm regards,

Brian in VA

RUNaRAK
09-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I really enjoyed myself as well. The CCB was a highlight of my trip to Va. It was great to meet each of you and would like to thank Combinator (Rich) for giving this bum a ride to Q-masters and Brian for the trip back to the hotel.

Rich and Kathy, you are sincerely "good people" as I like to say. I know that it must take a tremendous time in getting the tournament organized and what a great time it was.

Tom from Cincy, SacTown?? What ever I should call you, I really enjoyed our conversations about the lost souls in Cincy.. You are a very nice man as well.

Josh, "the Mayor" very nice as well. You seem to have a maturity well beyond your years. Thanks for hanging out and making me feel welcome.

Wendy, you are every bit as cool as I had envisioned. Thanks for letting me play in the tourney. Nice meeting you as well.

What a great trip I had, thanks to all those that I did not mention because I suck at remembering names. I won't forget the faces though. Looking forward to next year if my wife will let me come /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peace to each of you,

Joe Koontz

dg-in-centralpa
09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Now that I'm half awake, it was a rough day at work for Mary and I. Late night matches and up early so we didn't miss anything. We had never been at the Open nor the CCB tourney before and didn't know what to expect. After it was all over, Mary decided that we will be attending every one from now on.
The Open was fabulous, especially the feature table set up. Barry put on a great show. I was embarrassed for him during Earl's speech about the table playing like a bar table. This was uncalled for, but that's Earl's way. The Parade of Champions and the feature on The Miz was fun.
The CCB dinner and tournament were great, from the food and comraderie to the playing and sharking that was happening. We all got along as if we were old friends. It was simply a pleasure. We will be back next year.

DG - ended up tied for 4th place

dg-in-centralpa
09-26-2005, 06:51 PM
"Tap...tap...tap..."
Did I get the lingo right? I agree with everyone! What a great time. I hated to leave and break the fellowship, and to miss the final on Sunday. I wish I could have spent more time getting to visit with all you.
I was the lucky one to "win" the cue at the CCB INTERNATIONAL Tournament. Mr. DG won it, but gave it to me. Happy happy joy joy.
Love to all
Mrs. DG

Guess I'll have to register under my own name to post so I can be sure to play next year. What moniker should I use...?

9 Ball Girl
09-26-2005, 09:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr>Wendy - God you're beautiful! And your good heart shines all the way through.<hr /></blockquote>
Thanks Brian! Ah, you were just looking at my skirt. I can hear it now, "Tom, stop smiling!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sorry I showed up late at the pool hall for our tournament (I missed the 1st round), but I was out all night with Marissa and some of the other Pros and then I got back to my room and , er, stayed "up" all night so I didn't get to sleep but was definitely running in slug mode!

I love all of you guys and tomorrow, time permitting after work, I'll post the pictures up after downloading them from my cam. An oh yeah, I have one of my usual travel "horror" stories!

9 Ball Girl
09-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Timberly and Tina Pawloski are AZBers (Tina is girlwon1). Tina won the WPBA Amateur Nationals.

Rich R.
09-27-2005, 03:58 AM
Like everyone else, Cathy and I had a great time at the Open and at the CCB Tournament.
Barry Behrman and his staff could not have been nicer and I want to thank them for helping to make our CCB Tournament a success, again.

There is not much I can add, to what has already been said. It is always great to see old friends and to make some new friends. Putting faces to names is always a thrill. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unfortunately, I returned home to some internet connection problems.
Damn computers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
When I get those straightened out, I will be posting some pictures from both the Open and the CCB Tournament.

Now, I guess we all have to rest up, for next year. It will be here before we know it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
09-27-2005, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mrs. dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Guess I'll have to register under my own name to post so I can be sure to play next year. What moniker should I use...?<hr /></blockquote>That's the hard part! Please let us know it's you when you do finally select your own moniker!

Congratulations on your new cue. I sure was envious and jealous of all you folks at the Open. Wish I could have been there, but as most of us know, when you work for a living, you have to choose your vacations - this year I chose Vegas in May!

Does anyone have the full list of prizes and winners? What were all the secret surprise prizes?

EDIT:
Oh, and Brian, did you take some good pictures of your homemade trophies that you can post? I'd love to see them...

dg-in-centralpa
09-27-2005, 12:44 PM
SPetty,
I know Rich took plenty of pics and the trophy as well. The trophies were great, almost like the real thing. Had I won, it would hang proudly on my game room wall. You must come next year. I think we might be able to get an anti Earl section together.

DG - jealous of Cardman LOL

9 Ball Girl
09-27-2005, 12:58 PM
SPetty, I had a bunch of issues of BD with your article in it, but then I went to dinner with a couple of folks and left them in the trunk of Ron Park's car! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich has the list of the prize winners and you know what my secret gift was. It was a miniature pool table. Remember when I told you about it when I was at PettyPoint. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif RUNaRACK won that.

I have pictures that I'm going to post later on when I get home. The trophies were beautiful, as was the memorial pictures of Frank, Chris, and Dave that made me get misty-eyed. Thank God no one noticed--I've got a rep to protect!

Wendy~~~yeah I'm tough... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Deeman3
09-27-2005, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Guess I'll have to register under my own name to post so I can be sure to play next year. What moniker should I use...? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> The Amish Viking???? </font color>

Barbara
09-27-2005, 05:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
EDIT:
Oh, and Brian, did you take some good pictures of your homemade trophies that you can post? I'd love to see them...
<hr /></blockquote>

Actually Brian, SPetty just wants to see another pic of you with that tie you won last year. And at the risk of alientating SPetty, I won't go any further. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

SPetty
09-28-2005, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> SPetty, I had a bunch of issues of BD with your article in it, but then I went to dinner with a couple of folks and left them in the trunk of Ron Park's car! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>So does anyone know how to get ahold of Ron Park and the stuff in his trunk? Those issues are real scarce and hard to come by!

9 Ball Girl
09-28-2005, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>So does anyone know how to get ahold of Ron Park and the stuff in his trunk? Those issues are real scarce and hard to come by! <hr /></blockquote>I can call him but I think I'd have a better chance at getting you more than what I had and faster to you when I get to HOF Billiards tomorrow.

He too was looking for extra copies 'cause there's a Player Spotlight on him in this issue as well so he might as well keep 'em. I'm confident that I can get you what you need.

Brian in VA
09-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Yo SPetty,

PM me your address and I'll send you my 2 copies. I'll want one of them returned with yours and LeRoy's autographs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA

Wally_in_Cincy
10-15-2005, 06:22 AM

...I sure was envious and jealous of all you folks at the Open. Wish I could have been there, but as most of us know, when you work for a living, you have to choose your vacations.... <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto that

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich R.
10-15-2005, 06:24 AM

...I sure was envious and jealous of all you folks at the Open. Wish I could have been there, but as most of us know, when you work for a living, you have to choose your vacations.... <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Ditto that

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>
There is always next year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-15-2005, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> There is always next year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Rich.

Hopefully next year will be better than this one