PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Centennials or Super Aramith Balls

06-20-2002, 05:59 AM
Hello,
I have had problems with cheap balls breaking recently and am planning to buy a decent ball set. I was wondering which is the best out of Brunswick Centennials and Super Aramith balls. And also where I can buy either type at the most reasonable price online. If there is a UK site that sells them then that would be ideal, but any suggestions would be welcome,

thanks,

Leigh Mundy

Fred Agnir
06-20-2002, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Leigh Mundy:</font><hr> Hello,
I have had problems with cheap balls breaking recently and am planning to buy a decent ball set. I was wondering which is the best out of Brunswick Centennials and Super Aramith balls. And also where I can buy either type at the most reasonable price online. If there is a UK site that sells them then that would be ideal, but any suggestions would be welcome,<hr></blockquote>
As you can see from my picture to the left, I've had the same problem.

I haven't found a better online price than http://www.billiardsexpress.com. The Super Pros are at $127 right now, with the Centennials at ~$145 (all USD).

IIRC, the Saluc company said that both sets are made with the same material formula and the same dimensional specifications. According to a recent e-mail from Saluc, the cueballs are made to the same dimensional tolerances as the object balls. The material for the Super Pro cueball(red triangle) is the same as the Centennial cueball (dark blue circle). The difference in price is because the Centennials have a little more detail in the numbers.

You can't go wrong with either set.

Fred

Pizza Bob
06-20-2002, 06:28 AM
Leigh:
Pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other (Centennials v. Super Aramith Pros) - they're both made by Saluc of Belgium, which would lead me to believe that you should be able to find them in the UK as easy as here, but that's an assumption. For on line, try &lt;http://www.billiardwarehouse.com&gt; Centennials usually run a little bit more.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

06-20-2002, 07:58 AM
I can believe the two sets are made to the same material specs, but there is something that makes them play slightly differently from each other. I have both sets and they don't play the same. I'm not the only one who's said that and a lot of us have been around long enough to know it's not mind over matter. Could it be that the finish is different and they polish up differently? It's got to be something. Fred, did you ask Saluc if there is anything at all different between the two sets other than the numbers?

Fran

06-20-2002, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, if your saying that both sets are manufactured to the same specs I think I will go for the Centennials, as I prefer the style of numbering on these.

Thanks again,

Leigh Mundy

Fred Agnir
06-20-2002, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I can believe the two sets are made to the same material specs, but there is something that makes them play slightly differently from each other. I have both sets and they don't play the same. I'm not the only one who's said that and a lot of us have been around long enough to know it's not mind over matter. Could it be that the finish is different and they polish up differently? It's got to be something. Fred, did you ask Saluc if there is anything at all different between the two sets other than the numbers? Fran <hr></blockquote>

Could be things like surface polish/finish I suppose. Or it could be that since the numbers are different, then that could lead to a different playing feel.

I pretty much asked about the material (whether they used a different phenolic compound for each), the cueballs (dimension specs.), and the price difference. I think it was Greg from Diamond who reported that the cueballs were the same material. That's why there's no problem using either cueball for the Smart Table.

Fred &lt;~~~ also asked about the color of the 7-ball.

9 Ball Girl
06-20-2002, 02:47 PM
I didn't check the prices, but you might also want to try www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com)

06-22-2002, 11:12 AM
Hi Leigh, I don't know how the U.S. dollar converts to your money but here in Canada it usually means I pay a little better than %100 more in Canadian money. The exception was when I bought the Super Aramith Pro set, I paid $169.00 Canadian, when I bought the Centennials I paid $356.00 Canadian. I like the look of the Centennials better. An old time poster here once brought out the point that the Centennials give you more places to aim at the object ball. Terry

06-22-2002, 11:59 AM
Damn, must be impossible to aim at snooker balls for that guy :-)

06-22-2002, 12:43 PM
I think anybody that runs 150 and out might know more than me. Take what you think is good info and trash the rest. Terry