PDA

View Full Version : Item of the day

Fran Crimi
09-29-2005, 05:09 PM
WASHINGTON, Sept. 28 - An America West passenger jet taking off from Las Vegas missed hitting an Air Canada jet by about 100 feet last Thursday night, according to a preliminary report, because a controller in the tower confused two planes and issued conflicting instructions.

<font color="blue"> AND...Here it comes folks....the item of the day...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

The controller has been taken off duty and sent for more training, /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

<font color="blue"> So...like....what kind of training do they COME IN with? Yikes. </font color>

according to the Federal Aviation Administration, and the episode is under investigation.

eg8r
09-30-2005, 04:02 AM
I am sure the guy was trained and knew his job, he just made a mistake. No different than anyone else that goes to work each day. The only difference is that his mistakes can cost lives. If he truly did not know what he was doing, then training I think is a great idea, but they should look at everything else going on. Are there any blatant distractions, radios (playing music), TV, chatting employees, etc. Maybe the guy needs to take a few classes in concentration/focus. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

DickLeonard
10-01-2005, 12:40 PM
The blame for this could all be laid at the foot of the idiot President, that fired all the professional air traffic controllers and replaced them with less qualified waitress and rodeo riders. People think him a hero but in Reality he was pretty stupid, he left the Country vulnerable to Attack. Osamba showed him what a stupid move he made.####

Chopstick
10-03-2005, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> The blame for this could all be laid at the foot of the idiot President, that fired all the professional air traffic controllers and replaced them with less qualified waitress and rodeo riders. People think him a hero but in Reality he was pretty stupid, he left the Country vulnerable to Attack. Osamba showed him what a stupid move he made.#### <hr /></blockquote>

That's a little bit unreasonable. The PATCO guys were in violation of federal law. They could have gone to jail. Firing them was the least that he could do. One of my good friends got a job as a controller as a result of that incident. He had a colledge degree in and was an experienced pilot. It was his lifelong dream to work in the avaition industry. I can think of no one I'd rather have at the console when I was flying over.

DickLeonard
10-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Chopstick, the Idiot was a President of the Screen Actors Guild, he knew you have to bargain in Good Faith, which the Gov. wasn't.

The Union was left no choice but to strike, his choice was stupid, there was provision in the Taft-Hartly Law for a 30 day cooling off period.

He was just an Actor playing the Role of President. It was to bad he didn't play the role of a soldier in World War Two, instead of Making Movie Clips on buying War Bonds. Just another Right Wing Chicken Hawk.####

DickLeonard
10-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Fran, his previous job must have been opening the Gate for the Bucking Broncs.####

pooltchr
10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> The blame for this could all be laid at the foot of the idiot President, ...... <hr /></blockquote>

Some liberals are so good at laying blame....
Get over it! He's DEAD!!!!

wolfdancer
10-03-2005, 10:36 AM
There are always two sides to a story....my cousin, an experienced controller, spoke out against a strike, but went with the majority. He was "blackballed" for many years, even though they acknowledged his dissent on the strike. I think many good men were banned from returning to their jobs. They may have been in violation of Federal law as you say, but as I remember, the heart of the protest was their workload, that produced extreme stress, and several suicides. I think O'Hare at the time, had a plane leaving or arriving at either 1 or 2 minute intervals...add in the civilian and military aircraft, and......
I'm sure your friend has better working conditions as a result of the protest.......jail time????? not while we still have a two party system, if'n you catch the drift.
By the time they decided it had been totally unfair, and probably illegal?...and offered him his job back....he had joined the Border Patrol.
As a footnote....it was the beginning of the end of unionism, fair wages, benefits, etc....to the present day
Wal-Mart "associates" system.
There are still 5 Waltons in Forbes top "ten" billionaires list, I believe.....they didn't get there by paying union scale.

Fran Crimi
10-03-2005, 02:10 PM
About 10 years ago, a friend took me up into the San Francisco tower. They work in tag teams of 3 per console. There are several consoles in the tower. Each controller works 20 minutes per hour. It's extremely intense. When 2 planes come within 1000 ft of each other in the air, an ear-piercing alarm goes off. In the hour I was there, the alarm went off 3 times.

I remember reading an article recently that they were short on controllers. My guess is that they took this guy out of training before he was ready in order to fill an empty spot, especially because they sent him back down to training.

Fran

Deeman3
10-03-2005, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> About 10 years ago, a friend took me up into the San Francisco tower. They work in tag teams of 3 per console. There are several consoles in the tower. Each controller works 20 minutes per hour. It's extremely intense. When 2 planes come within 1000 ft of each other in the air, an ear-piercing alarm goes off. In the hour I was there, the alarm went off 3 times.

I remember reading an article recently that they were short on controllers. My guess is that they took this guy out of training before he was ready in order to fill an empty spot, especially because they sent him back down to training.

Fran

<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">Fran,

Ever see "Pushing Tin"? It's a great little show that seems to capture the atmosphere very well with a little chuckle on the side. Billie Bob Thorton is great in the role of an infamous controller who handles it all very well while most of the others are ready to crack at any moment. Anyone who thinks about a career in air traffic control should see it. </font color>

Deeman

Fran Crimi
10-03-2005, 03:36 PM
That's right, I forgot about that film. I think John Cusack was in that too. Good movie.

Fran

Chopstick
10-03-2005, 07:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr><font color="blue">Fran,

Ever see "Pushing Tin"? It's a great little show that seems to capture the atmosphere very well with a little chuckle on the side. Billie Bob Thorton is great in the role of an infamous controller who handles it all very well while most of the others are ready to crack at any moment. Anyone who thinks about a career in air traffic control should see it. </font color>

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Pushing Tin. I was trying to remember the name of that movie. Just imagine how those guys felt flying around in that jet wash. Sign me up for that one anytime. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r
10-04-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
About 10 years ago, a friend took me up into the San Francisco tower. They work in tag teams of 3 per console. There are several consoles in the tower. Each controller works 20 minutes per hour. It's extremely intense. When 2 planes come within 1000 ft of each other in the air, an ear-piercing alarm goes off. In the hour I was there, the alarm went off 3 times.

I remember reading an article recently that they were short on controllers. My guess is that they took this guy out of training before he was ready in order to fill an empty spot, especially because they sent him back down to training. <hr /></blockquote> You could be right. As far as an intense alarm going off, how long did it sound? Does not seem like a good working atmosphere when you are trying to concentrate and make sure those planes move to a safe distance from each other.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
10-04-2005, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
You could be right. As far as an intense alarm going off, how long did it sound? Does not seem like a good working atmosphere when you are trying to concentrate and make sure those planes move to a safe distance from each other.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

It lasted maybe about 5 seconds. I noticed that each time it happened, the same person rushed over to the console and stood over the controller. I figured maybe it was a supervisor. Nobody in the room seemed to flinch except me.

Fran