PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in new Instroke case

Leviathan
09-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Just received a new Instroke Cowboy (leather) 2x3 in black and chestnut. I have three problems with it:

1. Leather quality. The leather this case is made of doesn't look to me like premium-quality stuff. I'd describe it as thin and weak-looking.

2. Appearance. The leather used in older Instroke Cowboys was pretty glossy and had a good deal of surface grain. It had some character. This case is made of leather that has a duller finish, almost no visible surface grain, and damn all visual character. Also, this case's "chestnut" leather isn't chestnut brown; it's mud (or worse) brown. The case's leather just looks crummy, IMO.

3. Tube arrangement. The butt and shaft tubes aren't arranged as they were in older 2x3 Instroke Cowboys; they're arranged as they were in older 2x3 Instroke Buffalos. This makes the case wider than older 2x3 Cowboys.

I'll send this disappointing case back to the dealer and reconsider getting a Justis. Grr--I really wanted a 2x3!

AS

DavidB
09-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Whitten makes a very nice 2x3 and their cases are of excellent quality. The web site is http://www.whittencuecases.com/

catscradle
09-30-2005, 08:36 AM
.. and you might as well consider Jim Murnak (http://www.jimmurnakcuecases.com/) as well.

sneakypapi
10-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Can you post some pictures of the case, the outside and inside?

My friend has an Instroke and has owned it for a couple of years. Overall, the quality seems to be pretty good and it is holding up.

Another thing the case that you bought was it from a reputable dealer? I assume it was, but I have heard of fakes on the market.

Leviathan
10-01-2005, 05:12 AM
Can't post pics--don't have a digital camera. I bought the case from an internet dealer who has always given me very good service. The case was packaged with a a warranty information sheet marked Ching Emblem LLC and a product registration card marked Frank's Center, Inc., USA Distributor Instroke Custom Cue Cases.--AS

pooltchr
10-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Contact Frank at Frank's Center. I had a problem with my Instroke, and Frank replaced it with a new one. Give them a chance to address your concerns. I have been very happy with my Instroke, and when I did have a problem, they took care of it for me.
Steve

brucesdelis
10-01-2005, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Just received a new Instroke Cowboy (leather) 2x3 in black and chestnut. I have three problems with it:

1. Leather quality. The leather this case is made of doesn't look to me like premium-quality stuff. I'd describe it as thin and weak-looking.

2. Appearance. The leather used in older Instroke Cowboys was pretty glossy and had a good deal of surface grain. It had some character. This case is made of leather that has a duller finish, almost no visible surface grain, and damn all visual character. Also, this case's "chestnut" leather isn't chestnut brown; it's mud (or worse) brown. The case's leather just looks crummy, IMO.

3. Tube arrangement. The butt and shaft tubes aren't arranged as they were in older 2x3 Instroke Cowboys; they're arranged as they were in older 2x3 Instroke Buffalos. This makes the case wider than older 2x3 Cowboys.

I'll send this disappointing case back to the dealer and reconsider getting a Justis. Grr--I really wanted a 2x3!

AS <hr /></blockquote>

Who was the Dealer? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

brucesdelis
10-01-2005, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> .. and you might as well consider Jim Murnak (http://www.jimmurnakcuecases.com/) as well. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="brown"> Amen..... </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Leviathan
10-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Bruce: I don't have any problem with the outfit that sold me the case and prefer not to name it.--AS

Leviathan
10-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks for suggesting I check with Whitten; I might ask them to make me a 3x2B. It's what I want, basically, and the price isn't unreasonable. My thanks to all who offered suggestions.--AS

Harold Acosta
10-01-2005, 08:02 PM
At one time Instrokes were superb cases. Originally made in Germany. Then if not mistaken, John moved production to the U.S. and then sold the company. My guess now is that they are made in China or Taiwan.

Last year at the US Open, I got a chance to compare the "old instroke" versus the newer one. You could see the huge difference. Latch, leather, handles, etc. The price was also different. The older one cost a bit more than the new ones but then the "old" ones were tooled cases, versus the new regular Instokes in different colors. I desisted from the purchase since I own a Jack Justis and an "old" Instroke 3x7 (huge sucker).