PDA

View Full Version : Valley Rules question

veager
09-30-2005, 05:42 AM
While keeping score during my wifes match last Wednesday, her opponent broke, made a stripe, then shot another stripe and scratched. My wife was not paying attention and shot behind the Headstring at the solids. After her turn I mentioned that she should have had ball in hand anywhere and a open table. She checked with the oppenent's Captain and they said I was mistaken. Can someone clarify this rule? I always thought the only time your opponent has to shoot in the kitchen is on a foul on the break.

randyg
09-30-2005, 06:09 AM
You are right!

veager
09-30-2005, 06:20 AM
They Captain told me because no group was chosen, it was behind the line. I get in enough trouble already, so I didn't argue the point.

I have played 2 years on a Valley team that uses State rules and have never heard of such an explanation, plus no one had a rule book.

mworkman
09-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Yes, you are right.. The only time it is not ball in hand after a scratch is directly after the break. Her opponent pocketed a ball after the break. But, since she scratched, she didn't officially claim a group and the table was still open with ball in hand anywhere on the table.