PDA

View Full Version : Ferrule, Seen This?

Sid_Vicious
10-01-2005, 10:03 AM
OK, many of the Dallas crew will know the origin of this ferrule, but I wondered enough about the global knowledge of the originality and purpose of this patented ferrule design to post a pic to find out who else might know it's basics. I own two of these, so I obviously know the maker and the ferrule's composition. Tweak your interest???sid

Question: What host site do you use for directly linking pictures, i.e. having the photos pop into the actual body of the post? sv

NameMe (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sidvic999/detail?.dir=7142&.dnm=bda7.jpg&.src=ph)

Alaskan_Pool
10-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Never seen it. However, in form, it resembles the butt work that Samsara sometimes does. So since no one else has guessed, I'll throw that out there, betting I'm way wrong.

TommyT
10-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Looks like a Jerico ferrulle from Jerry Powers.

TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

caedos
10-09-2005, 05:16 PM
The ferrule is fun, part of the overall engineering, and a trademark! What do you think of the the rest of it, Sid?

c

caedos
10-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Oh yeah-- In light of another thread on this board, let me clarify. My message may seem cryptic because Sid appears to want feedback from the non-locals. I have no financial or business interest in this product, and am only an acquaintance with the manufacturer(s). Please do not construe my previous post or this one as advertising, or my participation as being prompted by anyone other than myself.

Thank you,

tateuts
10-09-2005, 09:17 PM
What goes on in Dallas, stays in Dallas!

I haven't seen it before. It looks like stacked and burnished leather?

Chris

Sid_Vicious
10-10-2005, 12:35 AM
I am hooked on this shaft, what else can I say!? Deflection is nill, much better that the Predator IMO....sid

Big_Jon
10-10-2005, 06:09 AM
To me, it appears to be laminated maple.
Now that i think of it, it reminds me of the 35 (to the inch) ply that Barringer/Cue Components/Meucci uses.

Looks like someone finally found a use for it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

Alfie
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> so I obviously know the maker and the ferrule's composition. Tweak your interest?NameMe (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sidvic999/detail?.dir=7142&amp;.dnm=bda7.jpg&amp;.src=ph) <hr /></blockquote>Tweaks mine. Material? Problems? Cost?

Sid_Vicious
10-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Not pie shaped laminations in the shaft like the Predators, somewhat a curve, half moon splices as best I can guess, with stacked maple slices for the ferrule. Some hollowing inside which is fillled for dampening. Mine ran $175 a piece...sid

caedos
10-10-2005, 09:05 PM
It's pie (radial) laminates like Predator, but what makes it very unlike Predator is each pie slice is a stack of many more stress-relieved flat laminates. Each pie slice is routed like molding so that they fit, and the inner point is routed so that the core is open for the foam filler Sid mentioned. They had their league team and some others play with them for a over a year just to see how they hold up over time and use/abuse. So far so good. Another cool and useful gizmo for the pool consumer.

C

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2005, 07:01 AM
How do you find the hit in these shafts Carl? To me, it is much different than a 314, in a good way. I liked my 314 mind you but never enough to quit my old wood in my customs. This new shaft dances for me, at least today! sid

caedos
10-11-2005, 08:25 AM
It hits great! It's a a slightly dampened vibration, I guess because of the foam core, but I think it has plenty of feel. I've shot with almost a dozen different OB-1 shafts on different cues: Shon, Meucci, Bunnel, Pechauer, McDermott, I'm pretty sure a Richard Black, and definitely a Cognescenti. There are some differences because of the joint types, but they all play very well with the new shaft. I asked them to make me one with more of a normal mass profile at the tip end of the shaft, and hopefully that will be done soon. Rumor has it that Royce has quit his day job to build these full-time with Don. They may get to retire on this product.

c

SPetty
10-11-2005, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> It hits great!

Rumor has it that Royce has quit his day job to build these full-time with Don. They may get to retire on this product. <hr /></blockquote>That would be nice for them.

When I got to try one for a game or two, I loved it so much I ordered one on the spot last January or February! They said it would take a few weeks - a month at the most. But then they forgot about me until they accidentally ran into me in Vegas in May. Several weeks later I got a message without apology that my shaft was ready, but by then I was so unhappy that it had taken so long that I ignored the message to see if they would follow up. Nope.

I'm guessing that they're not hurting for business and that is good. It's a good shaft and very pretty.

ALLENJK
11-09-2005, 11:02 AM
OK - OB Cues is up &amp; running . If you have any shaft questions my suggestion is to visit www.obcues.com (http://www.obcues.com) or call Royce Bunnell @ 214-497-9323.

SPetty
11-09-2005, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> It's a good shaft and very pretty. <hr /></blockquote>Yep, I agree. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and every time I use it I like it more. If you guys do nothing else, check out the construction pages of that web site that JKALLEN refers to. It is an awesome shaft with awesome playability. And it's very pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://www.obcues.com/construction.html

http://www.obcues.com/shaftclosersmaller.jpg

JohnnyP
11-14-2005, 01:02 PM
How does the hit feel?

My new Viking has a soft hit, even after I had the standard LePro replaced with a Triangle.

I prefer the hard hit from my forty year old cue.

Sid_Vicious
11-14-2005, 01:40 PM
SPetty will have her opinion for you, not trying to rob the thread here with mine. I was truly surprised when I hit with mine, hard Moori-3 tip, it feels solid and with a soft feel. I had to get the eye loop and also look under a microscope just to make sure my Moori wasn't flubbing up, but it was perfectly fine. It might me a misconception but I don't believe I miscue near as much with this shaft/tip...sid

JohnnyP
11-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Wood ferrule to keep the wood from splitting. I know, he's trying to keep it low mass, but it looks weird.

SPetty
11-15-2005, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyP:</font><hr>but it looks weird<hr /></blockquote>One guy's "weird" is another's "pretty"! What's interesting is that the ferrule doesn't distract you at all when you're shooting like you think it might.

As for the how the shaft feels, I apologize I don't have a lot of experience to tell what a "stiff" shaft feels like (no jokes please) versus a "whippy" shaft or whatever. The people who do know say that what's special about this shaft is that it's got great "feel", but I'm sorry I'm not sure what that means. I do like it and it seems to work well for me.

One partial explanation of what gives it its "feel" is the foam core in the center of the shaft. Think of a steel hammer hitting concrete and how it would bounce/vibrate. Now, think of how the steel hammer would feel if it were filled with dense foam. You still get a firm solid hit, but without as much reverb.

Also, due to the construction, you can supposedly get a greater amount of spin from a closer to the center shot, so that aids in accuracy. I can say that I made a shot the other night that I didn't even think was possible. I put as much low left and I could on an easy little shot, and that cueball took off perfectly from the rail at an angle I didn't think was possible.

Of course, it's not the arrow, it's the indian! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

JohnnyP
11-15-2005, 11:13 AM
The shaft construction is fascinating. Look at the laminations in the photo. It's almost like the shaft is made from the core of a tree. The laminations are like the tree rings.

wolfdancer
11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I've gone to their website....and while the shaft construction looks interesting, and I'd be interested in trying the shaft out....
I have some concerns about the ferrule.
Wood is anisotropic, is much stronger when the load is applied parallel to the grain....but is weaker under compression, where the fibres will yield and buckle, which is the reason i thought they invented plastic ferrules.
I wouldn't know Young's Modulas, from Hooke's Law, nor even from a hooker...(i can Google though, with the best of them)...but seems like the wooden ferrule, would tend to flatten out with repeated impacts.
I also don't know about your foam-filled hammer....but metal "woods" are filled with foam...a sound deadening technique, wonder what they would feel like without the foam?
Sound like, you're sold on the shaft....so I jes might
Say, what tribe are you from?

SPetty
11-15-2005, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I'd be interested in trying the shaft out....<hr /></blockquote>C'mon down!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I have some concerns about the ferrule.
Wood is anisotropic, is much stronger when the load is applied parallel to the grain....but is weaker under compression, where the fibres will yield and buckle, which is the reason i thought they invented plastic ferrules. ...but seems like the wooden ferrule, would tend to flatten out with repeated impacts.<hr /></blockquote>Fibres? So you're from the British tribe? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't know if the construction technique addresses the anisotropicness issue, but the grain of each ferrule lamination is set at a 45 degree angle to the previous one as it is built up. I do know that they've had prototypes in use for close to two years, I think, both breaking and playing, and have not seen ferrule problems.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>metal "woods" are filled with foam...a sound deadening technique, wonder what they would feel like without the foam?<hr /></blockquote>Metal "woods" are filled with foam - gee, I wonder if that's what gave them the idea in the first place? The foam is designed to be a sound deadener and a "linear vibration" baffle, so it baffles longwise vibration but not the other direction that gives you the "feel" of the shot. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>Sound like, you're sold on the shaft....<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, it does, doesn't it? I just hope it doesn't sound like I'm "selling" you. But also, I guess it's worth noting again that I've been using a Predator for a few years, so maybe it's just an improvement on the Predator-type technology. I'd be real curious to know if "normal" (so that excludes Sid) (just kidding!) shaft players take to it as well.

JohnnyP
11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
I tried a Predator P2 at the dealer and loved it. This is even better?

Sid_Vicious
11-15-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm more opinionated and personal I quess...heck yes!, predator 314 shafts are close in the running only because they were first on the market. Thing is this, if someone's paying 314 prices anyway, GET this one instead! It's an unexplainable pleasure to feel it's difference. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!...sid

SPetty
11-16-2005, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyP:</font><hr> I tried a Predator P2 at the dealer and loved it. This is even better? <hr /></blockquote>I think it's better. I'll just say that I own two Predator P2's and have been using them for several years now. I replaced the shaft on one with the OB-1 shaft. I've now ordered a second shaft for the other one.

DISCLAIMER: I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that I'm not in business with them, I have no affiliation with them, I get nothing for mentioning them. This is starting to sound a little too much like an advertisement for my comfort. I like the shaft. Tell 'em SPetty sent ya. www.obcues.com (http://www.obcues.com)

wolfdancer
11-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Have you tried either of the competing models?
There are two other shafts
the Opie 1 out of Mt. Airy, N.C. (Andy G.'s home town)
and the Okie 1, out of Oklahoma.
Some production problems remain....both shafts lean a little to the right, the Okie 1 is a little rough on the edges, and the finish ain't too bright

tannerpruess
11-16-2005, 02:59 PM
I watched Shane VanBoening shoot with his new shaft this weekend. Man could he get some spin on that ball, making it dance around the table. He was doing a shot where the object ball was froze to the rail and cue ball 4 feet from it about a diamond away from rail and he hits it with low left and the cueball comes around three rails right near the pocket, truely amazing.

ALLENJK
11-18-2005, 06:24 AM
SPetty , glad to hear that everything is working out with the OB-1 and Petty Point. I couldn't agree with you more on the perfomance of the OB-1 shaft. I was also a 314 player until about a year ago when I was given the chance to play with one of the first OB-1's. IMO there is not even a comparison in the way these two shafts play.

Sid_Vicious
11-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Maybe I have misread SPetty but I don't think she said the performance is that outstanding. Now I on the other hand will ceretainly agree...hitting with the 314 after playing with the OB1 for a while, is lame. I have no interest in helping sell these shafts, but helping someone thinking of getting a new shaft is what this discussion-family does, hence the report card on this nes design in laminated shafts...sid

SPetty
11-18-2005, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Maybe I have misread SPetty but I don't think she said the performance is that outstanding.<hr /></blockquote>Huh??!? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hereís the Billiards Digest condensed version of the words I have used up until now in this thread:
I loved it so much I ordered one on the spot.
...every time I use it I like it more.
It is an awesome shaft with awesome playability.
I do like it and it seems to work well for me.
I can say that I made a shot the other night that I didn't even think was possible.
I think it's better.
I've now ordered a second shaft...

Maybe I have misread your comment above, but as I read this thread, I think Iíve said that the shaft is outstandingly superior over and over and over again, so much so that I was afraid folks here would think I was shilling for the company.

So, just in case anyone else somehow got the same mistaken notion that Sid did, hereís a clarification: My opinion is that the shaft is outstanding.

Maybe Sid gets sidetracked by my repeated caveats Ė I donít have years and years of experience with a bunch of different shafts. Most of my few years of experience is with the Predator shaft. This shaft beats the Predator shaft hands-down.

Please let me know if that is not clear enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-18-2005, 11:24 AM
This is the reference I used in my wrong conclusion...sid~~~missed the other reads, my bad

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=209806&amp;Foru m=ccb&amp;Words=spetty&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpag e=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=2weeks&amp;Main=209724&amp;Search=true#Po st209806

Quote ras314:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys just keep on blaming that magic new OB1 shaft.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAHAHA! Yep, that's what I was thinking!

I don't know nothing about no special shaft - I just know that it's pretty!

( www.obcues.com (http://www.obcues.com) )

SPetty
11-18-2005, 12:44 PM
I see. You missed the all important /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif - the original read:

I don't know nothing about no special shaft - I just know that it's pretty! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

For future reference, " /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif " means " Ha Ha Wink Wink "

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's all good.

Sid_Vicious
11-18-2005, 02:20 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif