PDA

View Full Version : Break cues...Is there really a diffference??

jayzoll
10-01-2005, 04:04 PM
I've been wondering about break cues. With so many to choose from, how do u know which one is the best? I currently break with a piece I don't even know its name and hitting it fine. What do u all think about sledgehammer II, predator bk, fury, or any other break cues. Or should I just put a one piece phenolic tip/ferrule on my cue. I also have a local guy who makes cues, but I'm not too sure I trust him to make one. I am leaning toward the sledgehammer but I have never hit one and was curious if it was that much of a difference. I need help and want to do something really soon before this money burns a hole in my pocket. Thanks~~Jay

pooltchr
10-02-2005, 05:14 AM
I have tried the original Sledgehammer, Fury J/B, and Predator...the Fury was the one that ended up in my case.
Steve

ceebee
10-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I have a Predator BK in my case & it's the cue that many a player has used to whack the BreakRAK. I have never had anyone use that cue, that didn't like it. The cue has probably hit 3 or 4 thousand cue balls & is in great shape. One of the wesites has some comparisons on Break Cues, maybe one the other members knows where that website is located.

Sid_Vicious
10-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Here's my take. You can find a good breaker lots of times in a general line of SP cues, one being the Falcon, but this particular SP has to be requested. I don't understand why it is limited but it is. Secondly, I break as well or better with my play cue but choose not to most of the time. As far as official break cues, Jerry Powers probably makes the best I've used. It is a bit pricey in some ways, but you get a great jumper in the process, besides the break function. Lastly, I wouldn't ward anyone away from using a wall stick. The one piece cues break about as well as anything in reality...sid~~~sure misses his Falcon after it sprouted legs within 5 minutes of taking his eyes off it one day

randyg
10-02-2005, 10:07 AM
The "Stinger" by Jerry Powers is in my case....randyg

houseman
10-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I have a stinger I just got from Seyberts a week ago, it breaks great, but im not happy with the fit at the joints, could be much better for the price. I went back to my sledgehammer.

Timberly
10-02-2005, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>One of the websites has some comparisons on Break Cues, maybe one the other members knows where that website is located. <hr /></blockquote>

I believe you're talking about Shane Sinnott's Platinum Billiards. https://www.platinumbilliards.com

tateuts
10-02-2005, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I have a Predator BK in my case &amp; it's the cue that many a player has used to whack the BreakRAK. I have never had anyone use that cue, that didn't like it. The cue has probably hit 3 or 4 thousand cue balls &amp; is in great shape. One of the wesites has some comparisons on Break Cues, maybe one the other members knows where that website is located. <hr /></blockquote>

CeeBee,

Do yourself a favor and take your own advice!

I have grown to love my Auerbach J/B you had made for me from curly koa (thank you again). The specs are 60", thick shaft, hard leather tip, and 20 ounces.

I am so damn happy with that cue and now I am really going after it. The extra length and weight has made it easier for me to get long, powerful stroke, but still stay smooth.

http://www.palmercollector.com/Auerbach_op_800x103.jpg

Chris

Nostroke
10-02-2005, 11:05 PM
I just got an Xbreaker. The tip is harder than phenolic yet holds chalk more like leather via static electricity. It's a very well made cue and good looking too. Plus somehow this harder tip has a way softer feel than the phenolics. It is also a jump cue and the harder-than-phenolic tip makes jumping significantly easier.

Full Disclosure-I know the guy who makes these things pretty well but i really believe he has built a superior product.

recoveryjones
10-03-2005, 12:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> I just got an Xbreaker. The tip is harder than phenolic yet holds chalk more like leather via static electricity. It's a very well made cue and good looking too. Plus somehow this harder tip has a way softer feel than the phenolics. It is also a jump cue and the harder-than-phenolic tip makes jumping significantly easier.

Full Disclosure-I know the guy who makes these things pretty well but i really believe he has built a superior product. <hr /></blockquote>

Did you recentley buy it at the 2005 US Open in New York?

I know the guy who sells them too and he sold all 28 x-breakers he took to New york.It's an awesome break cue and should not be overlooked by anyone looking for a great break cue.
RJ

SteveFromNY
10-03-2005, 06:05 AM
I got the pbk and really haven't broken with anything other than the original sledgehammer but the phenolic tip took way too much getting used to for me to switch. I'm happy with the predator.

Scott Lee
10-03-2005, 10:35 AM
jayzoll...I'll give my two cents, which nobody else has even suggested (and which I freely advise any of my students)... You DON'T need a break cue! There is simply nothing wrong with breaking with your playing cue (I break with mine on a daily basis, with no detrimental effects to the cue or tip). The myth of the break cue was invented to sell more pool cues to players who ordinarily wouldn't buy more (except for collectors, and others who like several cues). If you are breaking with a center hit (no top, bottom or sidespin), there is less stress on the glue bond, and subsequently the energy is evenly dispersed. This has been a long-time assertion, that breaking with your playing cue will cause the tip to pop off (it won't if you hit center, and don't try to put tons of force into the stroke). Some argue that breaking flattens the tip, but even the cuemaker doesn't know if a tip will flatten until it is put on the cue and played with. Layered tips were developed to eliminate this problem, and last longer...which they do. By far, the majority of professional players you see with a break cue, were GIVEN one. They did not purchase it. Years ago you never even heard of a break cue, and nobody played any different without one. jmo

Scott Lee

Rich R.
10-03-2005, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>Years ago you never even heard of a break cue, and nobody played any different without one. <hr /></blockquote>
Years ago, people were playing straight pool and a break cue wasn't needed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or, am I going back too many years? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nostroke
10-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I am certainly not a "cue person" so FWIW and probably not much. IMHO your break cue SHOULD have a flat tip to begin with which you do not want on your playing cue. The break shot is essentially a hard 'stun shot'. Isn't this accomplished easier with a flat tip?

Also i have seen quite a few 'sneaky pete' type cues used as break cues which split at the joint over time. I have not seen this on playing cues.

Being that as it may, i often feel stupid for using a break cue seeing as i cannot break at all and could only hope to develop flat tip or cracked joint.

SteveFromNY
10-04-2005, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> I am certainly not a "cue person" so FWIW and probably not much. IMHO your break cue SHOULD have a flat tip to begin with which you do not want on your playing cue. The break shot is essentially a hard 'stun shot'. Isn't this accomplished easier with a flat tip?

Also i have seen quite a few 'sneaky pete' type cues used as break cues which split at the joint over time. I have not seen this on playing cues.

Being that as it may, i often feel stupid for using a break cue seeing as i cannot break at all and could only hope to develop flat tip or cracked joint. <hr /></blockquote>my 2 cents, I think people always put too much emphasis on the strength or speed of the break not realizing that they train themselves to hit harder without learning to break the rack open with a solid stroke hitting the 1 dead center.

Scott Lee
10-04-2005, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Years ago, people were playing straight pool and a break cue wasn't needed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or, am I going back too many years? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually Rich, people have been playing 8-ball &amp; 9-ball (games where a hard break is usually accepted as necessary), for longer than 50 yrs. Specifically designed break cues have only been around for 20 or less...and the most prevalent since Predator came on the scene. Again, imo, this is a marketing scheme (and a good one, that's made Predator's principles very wealthy).

Scott

BigRigTom
10-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I have read this whole thread and have to admit that I agree with some parts of almost every post so figured I should drop in my 2 cents worth too.....
I have the Scorpion Break-Jump (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/scorbreakjum.html) at 21 oz. and when I first start using it I had mixed feelings. I had always broken with my playing cue (Viking VX10 19.5 oz.) and it was tough getting use to the slight increase in weight along with the harder tip. I slowly adapted with determination but about 6 months ago I had the tip replaced with a phenolic tip and BAM! It was a world of difference.
I now LOVE this break jump cue. I can't tell you how many times I have made the 8 on the break, the 9 on the break and now it is not uncommon for me to sink 2, 3 or 4 balls on the break. That sold me on using a break cue. The phenolic tip would be impossible to shoot with on my Viking but it is absolutely great on the tip of my break cue plus I don't have to break hard to get the results. A medium stroke with an accurate aim is all it takes to get great break results.

Nostroke
10-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Terrific, but why are you quoting me?

Eric.
10-04-2005, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Years ago, people were playing straight pool and a break cue wasn't needed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or, am I going back too many years? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually Rich, people have been playing 8-ball &amp; 9-ball (games where a hard break is usually accepted as necessary), for longer than 50 yrs. Specifically designed break cues have only been around for 20 or less...and the most prevalent since Predator came on the scene. Again, imo, this is a marketing scheme (and a good one, that's made Predator's principles very wealthy).

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Just throwing in another opinion; I think there is an advantage to using a separte break cue in games that use a hard break.

The biggest advantage is that you can use a phenolic or semi-phenolic tip as your break cue tip. IMO, the phenolic tip is the "biggest technological advance" (sounds pretty technical, huh?) in years. With the phenolic tip, you get more action with less power, you can shape the tip flatter for a larger sweet spot and if you prefer (I like mine that way) no chalk on the tip so you cut down on unwanted English when you break.

I'm no Scientist, so I can't give you the physics behind why the tip seems to work better. The best analogy I can come up with is comparing the performance of Aluminum baseball bats to the Ash/wood bats. It's not even close. Maybe the Aluminum break cue is next /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric &gt;Let's go Yankees .. ...

Nostroke
10-04-2005, 03:17 PM
I've been ignored by better than you.

Scott Lee
10-04-2005, 10:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I don't have to break hard to get the results. A medium stroke with an accurate aim is all it takes to get great break results. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom gets it closest...but you have to couple the accurate aim, with the perfect, repeatable delivery system, to get the most consistent results. This is still true whether you use a leather tip, phenolic tip, or any other kind of tip. I still stand by my assertion, that the average player has no need to spend hundreds of dollars on a separate break cue, with the expectations of a "huge" improvement in their breaking ability. I can teach anyone to break better in 10 minutes. So can several other posters on this board. It isn't a magic cue, or a magic tip...it's technique that delivers a repeatable, sustainable stroke. I personally don't care for the phenolic tips, but that's just me. They may be a technological 'jump' in specific-purpose tips. I don't know. Call me conservative (LOL), but I prefer the hit of a leather tip...which my playing cue and jump cue have.
Again, this jmo...there are many expert players who love the purported benefits of the new technology in some cues, and tips, particularly in the past 5-10 yrs.

Nostroke...I didn't ignore you. Most people who know me, know that I like all-around things and concepts, and that extends to my cues and tips. I do not believe that a flatter tip is necessarily better than a round tip...even for breaking! Again...jmo

Scott Lee

ceebee
10-05-2005, 06:12 AM
Chris, I am having John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues make a Break Cue for me &amp; the company. Since it's going to be a promo cue, he doesn't work on it daily. It will be ready, very soon.

The folks at Predator were nice enough to swap their cue, for one of my BreakRAKs, so I am happy to let players try their Cue, because it is a great Break Cue.

I have several cues, which I alterate playing with. I buy &amp; sell used cues, so I have the luxury of playing with dozens of cues. I always try breaking with them too. I always go back to a Break Cue.

I also had a Huebler Jump-Break Cue once, it was 22 ounces with a 13.5 shaft. That was one ball bustin' SOB. Too bad the other player wanted it more than I did, because it was a pleasure to use.

JMO - Good Luck to all, in your quest to find "the cue", for you...

Eric.
10-05-2005, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> The phenolic tip would be impossible to shoot with on my Viking but it is absolutely great on the tip of my break cue plus I don't have to break hard to get the results. A medium stroke with an accurate aim is all it takes to get great break results. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree. That is one of the biggest reasons for using a phenolic tip; more power with less effort. This way, you can get a good power break without sacrificing accuracy of the hit.

Eric

tjlmbklr
10-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Here is a dumb question, but when haven't I asked dumb questions,. Can you put phenolic tip on any ferrule or cue for that matter? Reason I ask is the 2-man league I am in this fall is giving every one a cue, yah yah I know the value of a quality cue. but these cues were not half bad for free I havent gotten mine yet but the sample ones to pick from were good enough quality to demote yet another cue(cuetec) and use this one to break. Yes I will eventaully do the same to this on as well. But I would like to experiment with the Phenolic tip on a cue that was free.

Eric.
10-06-2005, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> Here is a dumb question, but when haven't I asked dumb questions,. Can you put phenolic tip on any ferrule or cue for that matter? Reason I ask is the 2-man league I am in this fall is giving every one a cue, yah yah I know the value of a quality cue. but these cues were not half bad for free I havent gotten mine yet but the sample ones to pick from were good enough quality to demote yet another cue(cuetec) and use this one to break. Yes I will eventaully do the same to this on as well. But I would like to experiment with the Phenolic tip on a cue that was free. <hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely. You maight have to do a little tweaking to get it to how it works for you (cut down or change ferrule and retaper the shaft). On the cheap, you can just buy a phenolic tip and have a good cue guy install it. It'll work pretty good. Make sure the installer is an experienced guy because penolic tips have a tendency to pop off if the wrong glue used or improper installation (not scuffing both the tip and ferrule, etc). A tip should cost you around $15 bucks or so. Try it, you might like it.

Eric

tjlmbklr
10-06-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try it, you might like it.
<hr /></blockquote>

Thank you!

Jay
10-06-2005, 04:53 PM
OMEN, OMEN, OMEN is all I have to say. IMHO Pete Ohman's custom break cues are one of the best out there. This is definately one cue that I may never get rid of unless Im ordering another. Ive heard Rick Howard's Mace and Andy Gilberts j/b are also pretty good.

Nostroke
10-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Ok Scott-thanks

UWPoolGod
10-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Have any of you have experience with Ash shafts? One of our local cuemakers has made several ash break shafts for some of the local players. I have tried it out and other that being a little grainy to the touch hit pretty well. I am trying to decide between that and one of his normal shafts. He made my playing cues shaft and I love it.

Harold Acosta
10-09-2005, 01:02 PM
No difference. It's a matter of taste.

Get an old cue, one you are not playing with, replace the cue tip with a hard flat water-buffalo tip, and bingo!, there is your brand new breaking cue.

LC3
10-11-2005, 04:56 AM
I use my playing cue. I don't go for power, but for speed. Shooting with as much speed as I can control, I consistently sink something, get a good spread, and leave the cueball in the center area of the table.