PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cass Charity auctions at the Open???

rukiddingme
10-01-2005, 06:53 PM
What happened? I know cues, lessons and other items were to be raffled but have heard nothing more about it. I believe items were donated for this purpose.
ruk

Barbara
10-03-2005, 07:28 AM
ruk,

It didn't happen. I was going to donate some bags of my pecans to help, but the plug got pulled.

Barbara

rukiddingme
10-03-2005, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> ruk,

It didn't happen. I was going to donate some bags of my pecans to help, but the plug got pulled.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
Barb,
I don't know who pulled the plug or why...if there was a public discussion about it I sure missed it. Lets just say that I am saddened by this whole thing.
I saw Heide and Spike on my last visit to the QC. We met at Leisure Time. They are both doing well and Spike is just simply the greatest. I hope to be seeing them again in November when I go visit my sister-in law.
ruk

9 Ball Girl
10-03-2005, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr>Barb,
I don't know who pulled the plug or why...if there was a public discussion about it I sure missed it. Lets just say that I am saddened by this whole thing.
I saw Heide and Spike on my last visit to the QC. We met at Leisure Time. They are both doing well and Spike is just simply the greatest. I hope to be seeing them again in November when I go visit my sister-in law.
ruk

<hr /></blockquote>Hi Ruk,

Despite what was said, the plug was not pulled. Those that brought up the idea to have a CC raffle were not in attendance and/or did not plan to be at the Open, nor was it ever initiated by those that brought it up. I would, however, like to thank again those that generously had no problem donating their items towards the CCB Raffle.

rukiddingme
10-03-2005, 12:31 PM
You may want to re-read the thread in question. This was about raising funds for Chris Cass's family nothing more and nothing less.
"Pulled the plug" seems appropriate.
ruk

MikeM
10-03-2005, 02:36 PM
ruk,

The raffle, though well intentioned, was not a good idea. I don't know how far it was pursued with Barry and the folks at the Open, but they have at least one large raffle every year that would have been in competition with it. We would have needed someone to be available throughtout the entire week to sell tickets and be responsible for delivering prizes etc., etc. etc.. Just didn't seem like a good idea to me the first time it was brought up and I'm guessing the people who looked into it found out that as well. I had planned to donate a VERY expensive cue to the cause if the raffle looked like it could raise what the cue was worth in Chris' memory. I didn't want to donate a $2000 cue if it was only going to raise $200. If there is an opportunity to do so in the future I will do so gladly.

All that being said, you need to lay off of the winners of the CCB Tourney door prizes. Since the second year of the CCB Tourney we have had prizes donated. This is our tradition. As Rich told you already, the donors were notified that the raffle was no longer taking place and had a chance to change their minds about donating.

When the call went out for donations to the Aiardo family the CCB was EXTREMELY generous. For you to cast aspersions on people because they won door prizes is mean-spirited and WAY off base. Again, KNOCK IT OFF --NOW.

MM

Barbara
10-03-2005, 02:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> When the call went out for donations to the Aiardo family the CCB was EXTREMELY generous. For you to cast aspersions on people because they won door prizes is mean-spirited and WAY off base. Again, KNOCK IT OFF --NOW.

MM <hr /></blockquote>

Mike, whoa there! RUK was just asking about the raffle and was maybe thinking that the raffle items got thrown in with the CCB Tourney prizes since the raffle never happened.

Peace.

Barbara

Rich R.
10-03-2005, 03:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> You may want to re-read the thread in question. This was about raising funds for Chris Cass's family nothing more and nothing less.
"Pulled the plug" seems appropriate.
ruk <hr /></blockquote>
Ruk, in this post and in other threads, you seem to be implying that something shady happened. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

Please reread 9 Ball Girls last post in this thread. She explained the situation well.

Obviously, you are trying to make an issue out of this, without knowing all of facts. Let me attempt to help you out.

In planning our annual CCB Tournament, someone suggested that, instead of the usual free raffle of donated items, at the CCB Tournament, that we sell raffle tickets at the Open to raise money in memory of Chris Cass.

No one objected, but on the other hand, no one, including the person who suggested it, stepped up to organize this raffle. In fact, the person who suggested it, was quick to remove himself from the planning process. He, and others that supported the raffle, ended up not even coming to the Open.

In the end, no plan was set and the raffle had to be abandoned.

Now, as far as the free raffle at the CCB tournament, this is the third year that we have done this. This is nothing new.

In a post on 08/28/05, 9 Ball Girl mentioned that it looked like the raffle for Chris Cass had fallen through and she asked if those donating prizes would still want to donate them to the CCB Tournament. Shortly after that, in a PM, I suggested to 9 Ball Girl, that she PM all of those donating prizes to make sure they knew the prizes would be going to the CCB Tournament and not the Chris Cass Raffle. She contacted everyone.

I repeat, this is the third year we have had a free raffle at the CCB Tournament, with all prizes being donated. This was nothing new. In fact, there are some generous people who have donated prizes in each of the three years. This is not the first year we have had prizes like custom cues, lessons and cue cases.

Let me remind you, the people on the CCB previously donated over $3000 to Heide and Spike.

Although a raffle would have been a nice addition, it never developed. NO ONE PULLED THE PLUG.

Obviously, you weren't too interested before. I don't remember you stepping up to organize and/or work the raffle. It seems a little out of line for you to come out, a week after the Open, to imply that we should have had this raffle and we somehow cheated someone.

I hope this post explains what happend and settles all of your questions. Maybe now, you will stop implying that anyone did anything shady.

Next year, you are more than welcome to come to the Open and hold a raffle. We will do all that we can to support you.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap Mike.. well said..

Who is this 'ruk' anyway to ask such questions? 312 posts and mostly in the NPR.

Sid_Vicious
10-03-2005, 04:56 PM
After reading this through all of the posts, I must ask everyone this, "Would Chris ever take what ruk said and been "different" at all with it?" One of the top things I remember about CC was that he'd most likely be the mediator here instead of me. Think about that before we get into a pissing match over nothing at all...sid

Barbara
10-03-2005, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Tap, Tap, Tap Mike.. well said..

Who is this 'ruk' anyway to ask such questions? 312 posts and mostly in the NPR.

<hr /></blockquote>

Tom,

RUK is a good friend of Heide and Spike.

She means nothing wrong in her posts, okay? Give her a break.

Barbara

Tom_In_Cincy
10-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Barbara,

I'm sure that 'ruk' appreciates your reply for me to 'cut her a break'.

Thanks for letting me and others know who and what interests 'ruk' had in mind for these 'questions'

Tom &lt;---------"Cutting 'ruk' a break" and Hoping she is satisfied with the answers.

Rich R.
10-03-2005, 06:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Tom,

RUK is a good friend of Heide and Spike.

She means nothing wrong in her posts, okay? Give her a break.

Barbara, I'm sorry, but I believe RUK does mean something by her posts.

She has posted this crap in at least three different threads, including this one and the following two.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=195041&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=all

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=206537&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

Just because RUK is a friend of Heide and Spike, doesn't give her the right to make insinuations about other friends of Heide and Spike.

Just because the raffle didn't materialize, RUK has no right to imply that something shady took place. If you remember, you told me you wouldn't want to go through all of the expense of going to the Open and spend your time selling raffle tickets. Obviously, others felt the same way.

The raffle not working doesn't mean we care any less for Heide and Spike. The generosity of the people on the CCB showed that we care. The fact that Chris's name, as well as Dave and Frank, appeared on the trophies, shows that we care. We also had a little memorial to all three of these men at the tournament. RUK is not the only friend of Chris, Heide and Spike.

RUK has to accept the fact that, as Mike said, the raffle was a bad idea and it didn't work out. It was no ones fault and no one did anything underhanded.

It is RUK who has to give us a break.

Hopefully, this is the last we will hear about this.

MikeM
10-03-2005, 06:43 PM
"Quote Rich R.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Jay:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever decide to let it go let me know

Sorry, I have already had offers, but I don't plan on letting it go, in the near future.

Boy...you sure are all heart! Of course you are not the only one. All the winners of the free raffle at the CCB Tournament are all heart as well.
ruk "

Barbara,

In this post and others, but this one in particular, RUK went way over the line. It has been explained numerous times what happened with the raffle. She doesn't seem to want to hear or accept the answer. What's the point of continuing to attack me and my friends who won prizes?

Peace,

Mike

9 Ball Girl
10-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi RUK, I guess the "misunderstanding" here, if you want to call it that, is the use of the term "pull the plug"--which, at least to me, implies that something shady went on. I think maybe the better term would be "fell through" which is what I used in my PMs to those that donated towards what would've been the Chris Raffle. All but one forwarded their item donations towards the CCB raffle, they were great gifts and we all wound up having a great time.

Send Heide and Spike my regards next time you see them. Thanks!

CarolNYC
10-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Hey RUK,
Who the heck won the items? I know Spetty had put together a donation when we lost Chris,of which I'vd sent mine, but I havent haard about anyone winning anything or how many raffles were sold!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich R.
10-04-2005, 02:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey RUK,
Who the heck won the items? I know Spetty had put together a donation when we lost Chris,of which I'vd sent mine, but I havent haard about anyone winning anything or how many raffles were sold!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Carol, read the entire thread. There was no raffle. It was an idea that never developed.

The money SPetty collected was long before the idea of a raffle came up and had nothing to do with any raffle.

CarolNYC
10-04-2005, 06:09 AM
Sorry Rich,
I thought the prizes donated went to the tournament ccb winners/players cause I remember Wendy not just wanting to remember Chris, we lost a few /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Love ya,
Carol

Barbara
10-04-2005, 06:30 AM
Rich,

In the first thread you referenced it was agreed to start a raffle of items to benefit CC's family. Murray Tucker agreed to donate a cue to the cause.

This was for the raffle that never happened, NOT the CCB tourny.

Barbara

Rich R.
10-04-2005, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Sorry Rich,
I thought the prizes donated went to the tournament ccb winners/players cause I remember Wendy not just wanting to remember Chris, we lost a few /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Love ya,
Carol <hr /></blockquote>
Carol, for three years now, we have obtained donated prizes for a free CCB raffle, at the CCB Tournament. Earlier this year, it was suggested that we raffle these items off, to raise money in memory of Chris. No plans were ever finalized for that raffle and it fell through, so we reverted back to our traditional practice. As we have said, all those donating prizes were contacted and advised of the change.

9 Ball Girl
10-04-2005, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>As we have said, all those donating prizes were contacted and advised of the change. <hr /></blockquote>Also, I didn't tell those that donated that their items were going to go towards the CCB thread, I asked them via PM if they still wanted to donate their item and made them aware that it was towards the CCB raffle instead. Everything turned out to be peachy!

Miss ya Carol!

Rich R.
10-04-2005, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Rich,

In the first thread you referenced it was agreed to start a raffle of items to benefit CC's family. Murray Tucker agreed to donate a cue to the cause.

This was for the raffle that never happened, NOT the CCB tourny.

Barbara, I'm not sure what you are getting at here. What you are saying is true. However, as both Wendy and I have stated several times, when the raffle for CC's family fell through, Murray Tucker and all other people donating items were contacted by Wendy and informed. As you were on that list, you know because you were contacted. They were asked if they still wanted to donate the items for the normal annual CCB Tournament. Murray Tucker, as well as many others, agreed to still donate the items.

I don't know how I can say this more clearly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
10-04-2005, 07:56 AM
My point is that ruk didn't know that the circumstances had changed.

Barbara

Rich R.
10-04-2005, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> My point is that ruk didn't know that the circumstances had changed.

My point is, RUK started attacking without knowing the facts. She wasn't concerned enough to get involved, but a week after the fact, she decides to make comments in at least three different threads and implies that there was some kind of wrong doing.
I, for one, don't appreciate it.

cueball1950
10-04-2005, 09:48 AM
I guess i have to reply to this thread. For the last 3 years i have donated several prizes to the annual ccb tournament. This year i was donating prizes also to the Chris Cass raffle . When the raffle did not materialize i was sent a pm by wendy asking if i wanted to just donate them to the CCB tournament instead. I told Wendy to go ahead and put them on the CCB prize list. I am sorry that the Chris Cass raffle did not materialize, but like someone else pointed out, no one, including myself wanted to hang around and raffle off tickets for the whole week and miss some of the action and the matches. There was nothing done behind the scene or underhanded in this regard. The raffle just did not materialize and the prizes went to the CCB tourney instead. End of story. So can we all now just be friends and let this thread die a natural death. By the way, i am already starting to collect prizes for next year and i hope the winners of this years prizes that i donated enjoy them...................................mike

9 Ball Girl
10-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I love my Butterfly Jump cue! Thanks Mikey! Muaahhhh!

rukiddingme
10-04-2005, 09:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> My point is that ruk didn't know that the circumstances had changed.

My point is, RUK started attacking without knowing the facts. She wasn't concerned enough to get involved, but a week after the fact, she decides to make comments in at least three different threads and implies that there was some kind of wrong doing.
I, for one, don't appreciate it. <hr /></blockquote>

MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM,
This is the last post I am going to make on this subject.
I regret making some posts that were made in anger. I have tried to delete them but have not been successful. I have e-mailed BD to find out how I can delete them and will do so as soon as I can. I also very much regret the timing of my concern.
I have no intention of deleting this post.
First let me say that I did not know that the raffles for the Cass family had been cancelled. I missed that post. My bad. A thread was started regarding a Murray Tucker cue which had been won at the Open and I realized that was the cue Mr. Tucker had donated to benefit the Airdos. That is when I was told that I was obviously not informed about the cancellation of the benefit raffle.
I certainly understand that logistically what was initially proposed was difficult but I know something could have been worked out.
Three prizes were specifically donated with the specific intent to benefit the Cass family...nuts, lessons and a $600 Tucker cue.
Was the possibility of an auction on this board considered?
Ok,...maybe that was logistically too difficult as well.
How logistically difficult would it have been to have Mr. Tucker send the cue to Spike?
The bottom line is that a cue which was donated specifically to raise funds for the Aiardos ended up as a door prize in non revenue generating raffle. I think that was wrong.
I know that people on this board have been "EXTREMELY generous" with the Airdos. Mr. Tucker, Scott and Barbara were obviously aware of that as well when they donated their products and services. Their generosity was limitless.
I know that if Chris was alive and items donated for the purpose of helping out somebody else's family ended up generating nothing for that family he surely would be dissapointed.
My friendship with the Cass/Airdo family began as a result of this forum and I IN NO WAY BENEFIT from any proceeds that go to Heide and Spike as was suggested by one of our esteemed members.
Thanks for hearing me out and again I sincerely apologize for the timing of my concern.
ruk

cueball1950
10-04-2005, 11:16 PM
First off please let me say that i read all most all of your posts. there is no reason to delete them. Yes barb donated some nuts, And yes Mr Tucker donated a cue. And yes i also donated several items like a butterfly jump cue, an Audrick custom cue. a vincitorre 2x2 leather case. These items were meant for the raffle to benefit Chris's family. But like i said before, when the raffle fell thru everybody who donated prizes were sent a personal message and was asked if they could put the dontions into the CCB prize fund. Everybody had apparently agreed to do this as i have not seen 1 post saying that they didn't. I feel so sad that this has to be dragged thru the mud like this when no one did anything wrong. Then again, ruk, i am like you. i don't read all the posts either and i care a great deal about Heidi and Christ. You may not know this but i also donated a couple of cheap cues (worth maybe $300.00) to another raffle for the family recently that was held in Florida. Everybody on this board has nothing but the highest regards for The Chris Airdo family and they are well loved by all and no one on this board would ever let themselves or anyone else do anything to hurt or embarrass the family. I am again really sorry that this raffle did not come off but it would have been a huge undertaking trying to sell raffle tickets and trying to compete with the vendors who were also raffeling off cues and other prizes to make money. Like i said in my other post, no one including myself wanted to spend their vacation time running around selling raffle tickets not to mention having to carry all the prizes as well. So please keep posting and please let this thread die as there is just to much malcontent in this country already. And remember also that this board will always support heide and Spike when the need arises....to much rambling on my part.....................mike

CarolNYC
10-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Hey girl,
Good job-also, I gotcha Rich /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Miss ya too!

Hey-NORTH KICKED SOUTH A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!woo-hoo(Patriot cup)
(Tiff called me last night)
Did we have any doubt,LMAO!

Hey, stay well,ah-ite! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Carol

BLACKHEART
10-05-2005, 07:44 AM
RUK, check your PM...JER

MikeM
10-05-2005, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> My point is that ruk didn't know that the circumstances had changed.

I, for one, don't appreciate it. <hr /></blockquote>

MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM,
This is the last post I am going to make on this subject.
I regret making some posts that were made in anger. I have tried to delete them but have not been successful. I have e-mailed BD to find out how I can delete them and will do so as soon as I can. I also very much regret the timing of my concern.
I have no intention of deleting this post.
I missed that post. My bad. A thread was started regarding a Murray Tucker cue which had been won at the Open and I realized that was the cue Mr. Tucker had donated to benefit the Airdos. <font color="red"> Can you at least acknowledge that you now understand that Mr. Tucker had the chance to change his mind and NOT contribute to the CCB prize fund and he elected to go ahead and offer the cue anyway? </font color> That is when I was told that I was obviously not informed about the cancellation of the benefit raffle.
I certainly understand that logistically what was initially proposed was difficult but I know something could have been worked out. <font color="red"> Like what? Do you have any ideas or just complaints? </font color>
Three prizes were specifically donated with the specific intent to benefit the Cass family...nuts, lessons and a $600 Tucker cue. <font color="red"> Again, not true. Why can't you follow what is going on here? There was no raffle. The items were donated to the CCB prize fund. </font color>
Was the possibility of an auction on this board considered? <font color="red"> This is a good idea. Why don't you take the initiative and do it. I will gladly contribute and participate. </font color>
Ok,...maybe that was logistically too difficult as well.
How logistically difficult would it have been to have Mr. Tucker send the cue to Spike? <font color="red"> I'm sure not difficult at all. Why don't/didn't you ask him to do so? Was this ever brought up? Why bring it up now? </font color>
The bottom line is that a cue which was donated specifically to raise funds for the Aiardos ended up as a door prize in non revenue generating raffle. <font color="red"> How many times will it take to sink in with you that the prizes WERE donated for a non-revenue generating raffle? </font color> I think that was wrong.
I know that people on this board have been "EXTREMELY generous" with the Airdos. Mr. Tucker, Scott and Barbara were obviously aware of that as well when they donated their products and services. Their generosity was limitless.
I know that if Chris was alive and items donated for the purpose of helping out somebody else's family ended up generating nothing for that family he surely would be dissapointed. <font color="red"> This is MOST insulting thing you've said so far. </font color>
My friendship with the Cass/Airdo family began as a result of this forum and I IN NO WAY BENEFIT from any proceeds that go to Heide and Spike as was suggested by one of our esteemed members.
Thanks for hearing me out and again I sincerely apologize for the timing of my concern. <font color="red"> How about sincerely apologizing for continuing (even in this post) to insult people who also consider themselves friends of the Aiardos? </font color>
ruk
<hr /></blockquote>

9 Ball Girl
10-05-2005, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr>The bottom line is that a cue which was donated specifically to raise funds for the Aiardos ended up as a door prize in non revenue generating raffle. I think that was wrong. <hr /></blockquote>Items that were specifically donated for the raffle that didn't happen were a $600 cue, a $695 Poolschool certificate, a $300 Scott Lee lesson, a $300 Audrick custom cue, a Butterfly jump cue (price unknown), a Vincitorre Leather 2x2 case, and a bag or 2 of nuts.

Now, it would had been wrong had we decided to forward the items to the CCB raffle without notifying those that were donating it. Everyone had an option to either donate their items towards the CCB raffle or not, per the PM that I sent to the individuals. The only thing not donated were the bags of nuts and no one lost any sleep over it and we all had a good time anyway which is what the CCB Tourney is about.

This thread is dying a slow death and this is the last time that I'll repeat what everyone else has already said.

Have a great day!

Tom_In_Cincy
10-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to 'ruk'.
I agree with all your comments and hope this is my last post on the subject.

'Ruk' if you think your posts have offended anyone you are wrong. All they have done is make me aware that you 'jump before you look'