PDA

View Full Version : which custom cue??

berberov
10-03-2005, 10:58 AM
i desperately need help in selecting the right cue for me. i live in europe so not everybody uses American custom cues around here, so i never got a chance to test any. my options are Black Boar, Ed Prewitt, Ned Morris, Arnot and Southwest. since it will be a huge investment for me, i must know how they hit etc. i appriciate any help. thanks..

hondo
10-03-2005, 11:52 AM
They're all out of my price range but from
everything I've read & heard I'd suggest Southwest
from that group.

berberov
10-03-2005, 01:03 PM
why would you recommend SW? i wont be reselling the cue. My only concern is the hit. i prefer a soft hit, kind of a whippy feel. not too whippy though. i heard the Black Boar has that feel. anybody agree?

Pizza Bob
10-03-2005, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote berberov:</font><hr> why would you recommend SW? i wont be reselling the cue. My only concern is the hit. i prefer a soft hit, kind of a whippy feel. not too whippy though. i heard the Black Boar has that feel. anybody agree? <hr /></blockquote>

I think he recommended it based on the fact that SW cues have a reputation as being "player's" cues. Never heard anything bad about them and the hit is most often mentioned - in a positive connotation. Tony makes a fine cue with the Black Boar - some of the finest out there - but most use a SS metal-to-metal joint. I think the soft hit you're looking for is best achieved with a flat-faced wood-to-wood joint, like the SW. Just my opinion. BTW....you only THINK you like a "whippy" hit. Trust me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Leviathan
10-03-2005, 02:15 PM
berberov:

I understand that you have specific cuemakers in mind. However, I wonder whether you've considered getting a Schuler cue. Schuler makes fine cues and offers several shaft options, including two flexible soft-hit patterns. Schuler shafts are interchangeable on the same butt. (If you don't like one shaft pattern you can try another.) The company has at least one European dealer (in Essen). For detailed information about Schuler shafts and cues, go to http://www.schulercue.com/products/shafts.htm .

--AS

Jay
10-03-2005, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote berberov:</font><hr> i desperately need help in selecting the right cue for me. i live in europe so not everybody uses American custom cues around here, so i never got a chance to test any. my options are Black Boar, Ed Prewitt, Ned Morris, Arnot and Southwest. since it will be a huge investment for me, i must know how they hit etc. i appriciate any help. thanks.. <hr /></blockquote>

They are all good choices but my one question to you is why you would include ARNOT amongst those choice. All the others are high end, well sought after cues. IMHO Arnot seems to be a bit of an add choice. I dont have anything against him but it just doesnt seem to be on the same level. May I ask what you are looking for in a cue that would prompt you to make your choices?

Bob_Jewett
10-03-2005, 11:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote berberov:</font><hr> i desperately need help in selecting the right cue for me. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I don't think anyone can make that choice for you. Shafts from the same cue maker vary. Balances vary. Tapers vary. Ferrules vary. You need to find some way to try the cue before you buy it, since it sounds like you will be stuck with it. Are there no custom cue makers near you? Is there no used cue market?

DickLeonard
10-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Berberov I would ask the room owner where you play if you hit balls with all his house cues and when you found one you liked would he sell it to you. That seems like a better answer for your problem, then get a plastic tube to carry your cue in.

The real solution is to come to Valley Forge to the Billiard Expo and you will have your pick of the crop. ####

Alaskan_Pool
10-05-2005, 01:16 PM
If there simply is no way to test drive the cues, and money is no object, and the cues you have mentioned are your only selection pool, I think most would agree that the Southwest is the best BLIND choice to go with.

DickLeonard
10-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Alaskan Husky, I have never hit a Southwest but I can't imagine it playing better than my Dayton. I had Paul make two different extenders to screw into the butt piece making the cue from 60 inches to 65 inches long.####

supercueman
10-06-2005, 07:39 AM
This is a tough one... I have been collecting cues since the early 70's. I have bought over 500 cues in my life. I have cues that range from 100's to thousands.. Some of the lesser cues in price play better than the more expensive ones I have.. I would say if you can go to the Allen Hopkins expo march you will be able to try many cues... Paul Dayton, Jim Buss, Pete Ohman,Andy Gilbert are some of the greatest cue makers at a fair price ...Hope this helps....

The Teddy J
10-06-2005, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote berberov:</font><hr> my options are Black Boar, Ed Prewitt, Ned Morris, Arnot and Southwest. <hr /></blockquote>Why are these your choices?

I'd go with a Schuler with a Super Pro Shaft, if you're in Europe. Or a Meucci.

T.

Alaskan_Pool
10-06-2005, 03:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Alaskan Husky, I have never hit a Southwest but I can't imagine it playing better than my Dayton. I had Paul make two different extenders to screw into the butt piece making the cue from 60 inches to 65 inches long.#### <hr /></blockquote> That's nice Leonard, but you didn't read my post. I said:
[ QUOTE ]
IF there simply is no way to test drive the cues...[and IF] the cues you have mentioned are your only selection pool (as the original post seemed to imply), I think most would agree that the Southwest is the best BLIND choice to go with.<hr /></blockquote>A Dayton wasn't one of the very limited choices he said he had to choose from. I too wonder why he has limited himself to just these choices, but that's what he appears to be asking advice on.