PDA

View Full Version : Barefooted Practice?

Sid_Vicious
10-03-2005, 03:15 PM
How's this sound for viability? The attire, your normal attire for playing in an upcoming event of any kind, serious or not,,,would the attire you will soon compete in be better then your casual-wear you'd choose for your practice session(s) beforehand? The reason I asked is because I had a great day on the home table, barefoot and in bum-a-round shorts and no shirt. My stroke, seriously, was as good as it ever has been during practice. I was called by a friend for a trip to town, showered and shaved, dressed up in yesterday's basic pool hall attire, but the trip to town was canceled so I stayed at home. I picked up the cue again, maybe 30 minutes, dressed for competition, laced shoes on the feet, "acceptable for town" etc., and my stroke went to feeling like a rusty hinge and my timing seemed to be gone. I wondered, "Isn't this kinda common several times in the past, going to the PH after having a spectacular practice at home, and then hitting terrible?" Just maybe the attire we wear in our more casual practice sessions practice, influences the later-to-be competition.

Whatcha think, do you even consider what you wear during your practice? I never even thought about it until my personal "Ah-Ha" today after the sudden plan change. I am not just talking barefooted to shoes as the subject reflects. It just happens to be my general practice routine around home.

Thoughts???sid~~~thinks about subtleties/with/resultants attached(which maybe it just further establishes that Sid's cheeze done slid a little more off of the his cracker /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thoughts???sid

tjlmbklr
10-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I guess I could agree with that, the body does like comfort. Of course who would ever be able to shoot in suits like in the Hustler. I mean come on....! The seen where "Fats" is washing up and looking comffy, then he goes and ruins it for me by putting his suit jacket on.

Chopstick
10-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Sidney, the game is not about what, how or when. It's about where. Where the balls start and where they finish. There is nothing else. I'm not trying to be harsh. I've been through it. You have to get past this.

"All a man needs to lose is a good enough excuse." The fact is that there are more pool games lost than there are won. The first big tournament I won I was backed into a corner and I only remember one thought. "I ain't losing. You're gonna have to beat me." You would be surprised how many of your opponents won't measure up.

Sid_Vicious
10-04-2005, 06:14 AM
"Sidney, the game is not about what, how or when. It's about where. Where the balls start and where they finish. There is nothing else"

Nothing else huh. What about that blob of grey matter in the cranium, attached to nerves which, through conscious and subconscious thinking, coupled with emotions, of which comes in such diverse directions that mankind still does not understand them all, those nerves get triggered and it begins in many whats, hows, and whens....ain't that sumpthin? Basic clothing in the transition of practice and competition seemed to me to have a possible merit in adding to that overall "mental comfort" formula, if only in a subconscious manner...sid

I'm sure you aren't suggesting that the mental game is not the biggest part of this game once the basic skills are mastered are ya? sid

SPetty
10-04-2005, 08:57 AM
If you're practicing to get better in league and/or tournament play, then I believe that you should dress the part. I read (probably here) years ago that you should be wearing the same shoes during practice that you will be wearing during play. I believe that to be true of the rest of your clothing as well. I have experienced what you describe - "perfect" play while casually dressed followed quickly by "icky" play while fully dressed...

Leviathan
10-04-2005, 12:49 PM
It was the shave, Sid. I'm sure you've noticed that few top players shave on the day of a big match.--AS

Chopstick
10-04-2005, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
those nerves get triggered and it begins in many whats, hows, and whens....ain't that sumpthin? <font color="blue">I know what it is. It's a missed ball </font color>

I'm sure you aren't suggesting that the mental game is not the biggest part of this game once the basic skills are mastered are ya? sid <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">Yep, sure am. When you look at the balls, the intellectual part of your brain makes judgements and visualizes a shot. That is the end of it's part. A shot is executed by the physical instinctive part of your brain. That part does not support intellectual thought. You hand off the execution of the shot to the instinctive part of your brain through your feelings. If you still have any thought going on at that point, you are only shooting at a fraction of your potential. You are sharking yourself. You have already trained your mind and body to play this game. Now you need to get out of the way and let it work. Trust your game and let it happen. </font color>

BigRigTom
10-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Sid you may have something here. I too am guilty of practicing barefooted with shorts and T-shirt then showering, shaving, dressing and going to the league match and getting my butt kicked.
I recently started reversing that process by showering etc 1st then practicing just before jumping into the car to leave for the match.
It seems to have made a difference.
What I'm suggesting is that it is not what your are practicing in as much as it is probably your settling into a comfort zone dressed the way you like (comfortably of course) but how ever you choose to dress just give yourself time to adjust to the feel of what you are wearing and how you shoot dressed that way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-05-2005, 07:58 AM
I definitely agree that in a perfect approach to the game that the body already knows the shots mechanically, but if you can find that magic formula for getting your head out of the game at hand, then there are lots of pool psychology authors who'd be out of business today. The only way I could imagine getting there to a place with no mental interference, would be if you were totally segregated within your thoughts from everybody and everything in your life at the time. That, IMO would make you a Klingon.

You might simply be expressing the concepts from "The Inner Game Of Tennis" in your replies, which makes sense, BUT even with repetitive reading of the book, life and past experiences, what time I'm needing to go home and get ready for work,,, it all muddies up many wins over total mind control. If it didn't, then you wouldn't see Jeanette Lee and Kim Ga Young both missing 90%+ nineballs to cinch tournaments. I'll finish by saying this, "It is our task in learning this game above and beyond most of the rest of the billiards enthusiasts, to conquer BOTH the physical and mental sides of the game." The reason I posted the off the wall attire question was to further ANY ideas for "pool composure and confidence." It is my contention that very many pool players have superior physical games, maybe even world beaters, BUT they never master or accept the fact that their brains are their worst enemy." After a point in one's billiards studies the mental part of the game becomes the predominant skill over the physical, that's what makes us human beings....sid

wolfdancer
10-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Everybody get on your feet,
You make me nervous when you in
your seat
Take off your shoes and pat your
feet,
We're doin pool and we can't be
beat
We're barefootin', We're
barefootin',
We're barefootin', We're
barefootin',

Went to the 'room the other night,

Long Tall Sally was out of sight

Threw way her wig, and her high
sneakers too,
She was playing pool without any
shoes
She was barefootin', She was
barefootin',
She was barefootin', She was
barefootin',

Hey little gal with the red
dress on,
I bet you can barefoot all night
long
Take off your shoes and throw
them away,
Come back and get them another
day
We're barefootin', We're
barefootin',
We're barefootin', We're
barefootin',

Sid Vicious, he said to Sue,
If I was barefootin' would you
barefoot too
Sue told Sid, "I'm thirty two,
I was barefootin ever since I
was two ............

always liked that song....

Sid_Vicious
10-05-2005, 09:35 PM
We're havin' fun now! sid /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vagabond
10-07-2005, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>The reason I asked is because I had a great day on the home table, barefoot and in bum-a-round shorts and no shirt. My stroke, seriously, was as good

Thoughts???sid~/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
More than 10years ago I was practicing hop shots in birthday suit.Guess what..like a dolphin jumping out of water the cue ball hits the rail goes into the air and lands on my.... u guessed it right.Till I learned to adjust the speed it landed on...... several times...ouch.
Now coming to your question:my comment is ``Resrictive cloths restrict your free moment and there by restricts little bit of your game``.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thoughts???sid <hr /></blockquote>