PDA

View Full Version : Is pool THE sport?

eat_sleep_pool
10-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Hey everyone,
I was fighting with my friend today about pool, compared to other sports. I think pool is one of the hardest sports well of course i do im obsesed with pool. But i couldnt think of any other sports that you have to use your brain as much as you do when you play pool, i know other sports are very mental. When your not mentally fit i know its hard to play other sports but not as hard as pool. you can be the best pool player in the world and when your having a bad day mentally you might not hit one ball in other sports its not really like that.
So anyways to get to the point, i wanted some good arguing points so i can show people that this is truly a hard sport unlike people think. And i know i keep calling it a sport im not sure if it is reconized as one but in my heart it is.
Ya so give me some good point ect.
Thanks

Eat.Sleep.Pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

randyg
10-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Pool & Golf are just about identical.....SPF-randyg

JohnnyP
10-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Randy:

If you play bad in golf, you still get to play. In fact, you get to hit the ball even more.

In pool, the better you play, the more time you have at the table to hone your craft.

If you are playing someone way better, you get to rack, then sit out most of the match.

Voodoo Daddy
10-05-2005, 05:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Pool &amp; Golf are just about identical.....SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Golf and sex are the same...you dont have to be great at either to have fun where pool is totaly different! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pooltchr
10-05-2005, 05:56 AM
Pool is the only sport I can think of where you don't just hit a ball with a stick to score...you have to make that ball hit another ball properly to score. That's one of the things that makes it a bit more challenging.
Steve

SteveFromNY
10-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Well as you've pointed out there are different characteristics that catagorize each sport. Some require more physical strength but that does not mean that they are any less of a sport than pool.

Rich R.
10-05-2005, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyP:</font><hr>If you play bad in golf, you still get to play. In fact, you get to hit the ball even more.

In pool, the better you play, the more time you have at the table to hone your craft.<hr /></blockquote>
That is why I don't play golf. I get tired of standing around watching everyone else play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alaskan_Pool
10-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Explain to your friend that many shots in pool require the accuracy of an archer. Then tell him/her that you must control the cueball so that after it hits with deadly accuracy, it in turn is controlled in where it goes. Now explain that to control the cueball, you need to hit the cueball with different strokes and different speeds and hit it in different places, all while maintaining that accuracy. Now you can tell him/her that it would be like an archer had to hit with deadly accuracy, while constantly changing the angle of their bow, and the place on their bow where they knock the arrow, all while shooting at targets that are in different places, different elevations and where you are shooting from different distances, and that on every shot all these things change and you have to adjust each time. Then explain that when you change where you are hitting the cueball this may change the actual line of aim because of squirt, throw, and english, which is like doing all of the foregoing in archery, with a steady gale force wind. Now tel him her that if your opponent goes first and hits accurately, they never even get a chance to shoot.

Eric.
10-05-2005, 11:42 AM