PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie O'sullivan new king of pool?

ukboy
10-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Snooker genius Ronnie O'sullivan is going to play pool in America next year,i think he will do what Alison Fisher has done by winning both snooker and pool world championships,he may well be the greatest player to ever pick up a cue

Alaskan_Pool
10-05-2005, 01:00 PM
He might compete. Forget what you're thinking though. The American women (not trying to be sexist here, just stating facts) were so far at the time from the men in playing ability that it is ludicrous even to compare them. When Fischer (etc,) came over, she came from a real professional league with competition that schooled her, from snooker rooms where she was taken seriously and had to develop her game to compete. The women she found here were weak by comparison. I think this is mostly a function of lack of all the things necessary to build players to their finest.

Women here, for the most part didn't have the competition. They weren't playing 12 hours a day and for their bread money like the men, and probably most significantly, they came from a small statistical pool. The men on the other hand--you can't imagine a more intense and rigorous training than living in the pool room and playing for the lint in your pocket.

So, whereas when Fischer came from England she found a small pool of half-schooled women barely able to play compared to even the weakest level men, your Ronnie O'Sullivan will find here the sleekest of predators, forged in a furnace of privation and deep hunger and intense competition awaiting with sh*t-eating grins on their faces. It's apples and oranges.

ukboy
10-05-2005, 02:26 PM
I dont think the pool players know how good this guy is i am quite confident Ronnie could run 500 balls at straight pool right or left handed

dr_dave
10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ukboy:</font><hr> Snooker genius Ronnie O'sullivan is going to play pool in America next year,i think he will do what Alison Fisher has done by winning both snooker and pool world championships,he may well be the greatest player to ever pick up a cue<hr /></blockquote>
I should warn you. I posted a message a while back about how good Ronnie is, and it caused a huge stink. If you are interested, you can check out THE INFAMOUS RONNIE THREAD (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=176378&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1). Hopefully, the whole discussion won't be repeated again.

Regards,
Dr. Dave

Billy
10-05-2005, 06:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ukboy:</font><hr> I dont think the pool players know how good this guy is i am quite confident Ronnie could run 500 balls at straight pool right or left handed <hr /></blockquote>

you're obviously a big fan of O'Sullivan - that's a good thing

thinking he's just going to run thru American pool players is just being totally unrealistic though ... but only time will tell /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

like the Alaskan poster,there's a huge disparity in skill levels between the genders here in the states concerning pool

and ... if he likes after hours competition he'll be introduced to one-pocket rather quickly.tell him to bring plenty of the pounds mate /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

should be interesting to say the least and an excellent pat on the back for the international pool scene

good luck to him

jmo

Cane
10-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Ronnie O'Sullivan is possibly the best snooker player that ever lived, however, as has been discussed here and on other forums, Pool and Snooker, while both cue sports, are two entirely different games, requiring two entirely different skill sets.

Many great male snooker players have broken into the Pool World with successes ranging from Miserable to Moderate to Fantastic. How Ronnie O'Sullivan will do in the pool world will only be told in time.

I wish him the best of luck and anxiously await his arrival on the American Pool Scene.

Later,
Bob

Alaskan_Pool
10-05-2005, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>I should warn you. I posted a message a while back about how good Ronnie is, and it caused a huge stink. If you are interested, you can check out THE INFAMOUS RONNIE THREAD (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=176378&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1). Hopefully, the whole discussion won't be repeated again.<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the link Dave, made for some very interesting reading, but not for the "warning". No need to repeat what happened in the infamous thread as you style it, it's easily summed up: you posted a very interesting snooker video, but stated in no uncertain terms that snooker is much harder than pool. Then BC girl made an excellent post discussing, and rightly so, what was wrong with that statement. You politely responded like a gentlmen, and then a few massive tools came to your "defense"; BC responded nicely; Fred crushed them like bugs though it was obvious they never understood a word he was saying, and you, while maintaining a genial air, to my disgust, thanked them for "defending" you in a number of posts, when no attack had occurred, just a difference of opinion (although I also disagree with you) and your defenders were fruits of the poison tree. Warning taken.

eg8r
10-06-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I should warn you. I posted a message a while back about how good Ronnie is, and it caused a huge stink. If you are interested, you can check out THE INFAMOUS RONNIE THREAD. Hopefully, the whole discussion won't be repeated again. <hr /></blockquote> You just can't handle the urge to bring that crap back to the top. Is sending a PM such a difficult thing to comprehend. You are the reason that stuff keeps popping up. My goodness, you have all the brains and lack even the simplest amount of common sense. Why would you even add a link to that thread?

eg8r

thecardman
10-06-2005, 04:12 AM
ukboy

While I agree that O'Sullivan is possibly the most naturally gifted snooker player to pick up a cue - more so that Alex Higgins - I feel that he may not do as well as you are hoping he will in the American 8-Ball events.

If memory serves me correctly, O'Sullivan took part in (at least one) Mosconi Cup a number of years ago and did not do that well at it. Sure, he was able to run out in open table situations, but his break and safety play lacked somewhat. Sure, the break will suffer as it goes against everything that players of all cuesports here in the UK are told, but surely there is no excuse for his inability at safety play.

Sure, the pockets are huge compared to the tables we are used to in the UK - both Snooker and Pool, well the poor excuse we have for 8-Ball - but can Ronnie work out what to do if he makes a ball and doesn't have position? Can he work out how to break up clusters of balls in the right way so that the one ball of his group comes out correctly? We'll all need to just wait and see.

You might also want to see this thread (http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/viewtopic.php?forum=2&amp;topic=1188&amp;start=0#f11827) at the UK's "Pro 9" website. There is a very interesting quote from Ronnie near the foot of the page.

I, for one, will be a very interested spectator when O'Sullivan starts playing 8-Ball. I am genuinely curious how he'll get on.

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SteveFromNY
10-06-2005, 05:17 AM
Hey that's not Ronnie, it's Colin Farrell.

dr_dave
10-06-2005, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alaskan_Pool:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>I should warn you. I posted a message a while back about how good Ronnie is, and it caused a huge stink. If you are interested, you can check out THE INFAMOUS RONNIE THREAD (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=176378&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1). Hopefully, the whole discussion won't be repeated again.<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the link Dave, made for some very interesting reading, but not for the "warning". No need to repeat what happened in the infamous thread as you style it, it's easily summed up: you posted a very interesting snooker video, but stated in no uncertain terms that snooker is much harder than pool. Then BC girl made an excellent post discussing, and rightly so, what was wrong with that statement. You politely responded like a gentlmen, and then a few massive tools came to your "defense"; BC responded nicely; Fred crushed them like bugs though it was obvious they never understood a word he was saying, and you, while maintaining a genial air, to my disgust, thanked them for "defending" you in a number of posts, when no attack had occurred, just a difference of opinion (although I also disagree with you) and your defenders were fruits of the poison tree. Warning taken. <hr /></blockquote>
AlaskanPool,

Excellent summary! I think I mostly agree with your analysis. In retrospect, we all probably could have tried to be more polite, repectful, level-headed, and understanding in the discussion; but hindsight is always 20/20.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
10-06-2005, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr><blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>I should warn you. I posted a message a while back about how good Ronnie is, and it caused a huge stink. If you are interested, you can check out THE INFAMOUS RONNIE THREAD. Hopefully, the whole discussion won't be repeated again. <hr /></blockquote> You just can't handle the urge to bring that crap back to the top. Is sending a PM such a difficult thing to comprehend. You are the reason that stuff keeps popping up. My goodness, you have all the brains and lack even the simplest amount of common sense. Why would you even add a link to that thread?<hr /></blockquote>
I guess I deserve that. I just think the whole snooker vs. pool and Ronnie vs. the world thing is so interesting. I really look forward to seeing how he does in the pool world if and when he dedicates himself to excelling at a different game. The proof will be in the pudding. I promise to try to keep my mouth shut on this topic until we see how he does. Then I will be happy to admit either that "I was a dunce head" or "I told you so."

Regards,
Dave

Stretch
10-06-2005, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr><blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>I should warn you. I posted a message a while back about how good Ronnie is, and it caused a huge stink. If you are interested, you can check out THE INFAMOUS RONNIE THREAD. Hopefully, the whole discussion won't be repeated again. <hr /></blockquote> You just can't handle the urge to bring that crap back to the top. Is sending a PM such a difficult thing to comprehend. You are the reason that stuff keeps popping up. My goodness, you have all the brains and lack even the simplest amount of common sense. Why would you even add a link to that thread?<hr /></blockquote>
I guess I deserve that. I just think the whole snooker vs. pool and Ronnie vs. the world thing is so interesting. I really look forward to seeing how he does in the pool world if and when he dedicates himself to excelling at a different game. The proof will be in the pudding. I promise to try to keep my mouth shut on this topic until we see how he does. Then I will be happy to admit either that "I was a dunce head" or "I told you so."

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

I like how everyone describes Ronnie as one of the best "naturaly gifted" cuists. True, he is now that Steven Hendry is getting past his prime. For a stretch of 4 or 5 years there Hendry could do ANYTHING. He was the Tiger Woods of Snooker. Ronnie hasn't come close to dominateing a field like Hendrey did. I taped a match where he made 8 Century's in the first 10 frames. That's some serious heat! Steve was and still is in my eyes THE best cuist ever. But hey everyone pics thier own. Ronnie, while u got to luv his style and natural ability has always been a bit of a loose Cannon.

Wut i can't wait to see is how he'll handle the pressures and head games inherent with 9 ball. My guess is he'll go "Earl" the first time he runs into trouble with sumthing or sumeone. Those thuroughbreads sure are strung tight. St.

eg8r
10-06-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Like yourself, I am very interested to see how well he does against the competition.

eg8r

dutchboy
10-08-2005, 05:01 AM
My my, after reading these posts it's clear why pool players are just one big happy family. The Rocket is probably one of the most talented people to pick up a stick...lefty, righty, Oliver Ortmann is the only other person I've seen shoot that well with both hands. Ronnie will be great to have over here, the Americans will love him sure he's going to get his ass kicked in the beginning. But you all watch, the light bulb going to go off in this guy head one morning and he's going to get it. Ronnie if your out there listening, get with Holmann or Engert or Souquet and play some 14.1 for a year or so. Screw nine-ball...the only problem for Ronnie will be finding some beer at the right Temp. This will be great fun.

Dagwood
10-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Just read the entirety of that thread that was liked above, and from the looks of it, the majority of what Ronnie is going to be playing (tournament wise) will be 8 Ball, not 9 ball.

BCgirl
10-10-2005, 03:34 PM
First, I'm hoping that Ronnie proves really successful, because beautiful as he makes the game of snooker, I'd really like to see him playing 9-ball. Maybe it'll be another shock to the system, like the World Pool Championships this year, and I'm sure that he will bring something new.

I do hope he will compete in more than just the IPT events though, because I really don't like the idea of top flight pool on slow cloth. I wonder if 8-ball and slow cloth will prove an advantage or disadvantage for Ronnie. If he's competing in some top-notch 9-ball with fast cloth and narrow pockets, you can be sure I'll be queuing to watch.

BCgirl

BCgirl
10-10-2005, 04:26 PM
I'd just like to jump to the defence of the US women here. I saw a fair number of the WPBA games in the early-Allison days, and I think that the comment about the gulf in quality between Allison and the other women is a little unfair on both.

Allison brought extremely strong fundamentals to the game, but I was often struck by the fact that there was a gulf in knowledge between her and Loree John, or Jeanette. Personally, I think Jeanette had greater skill, and but for her back problems, would have outclassed Allison.

The most important things that Allison brought were tenacity, focus, and a strong work ethic, qualities that have seen her amass a wealth of 9-ball knowledge, and consistently improve the overall level of her play, and womens' play in general.

Ronnie brings the same quality of fundamentals, unquestionable ability, and promise. If that is matched by the same ability to learn, and the same resolve, then he will undoubtedly be a force to be reckoned with.

Yes, I do think that his task is harder than Allison's, but I think that the key is in the differences between the games, and in the knowledge required to compete consistently at the highest levels. I think the question of how he is likely to fare is absolutely intriguing, and will likely raise some eyebrows.

BCgirl