PDA

View Full Version : Then & Now

wolfdancer
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
among the folks born on a Nov 3:
361:

JULIAN THE APOSTATE BECOMES EMPEROR OF ROME, upon the death of Constantius II. Julian's life was much like Claudius 300 years earlier, except the Imperial Family's official religion was now Christianity. The Emperors fought, intrigued, seduced and poisoned each other with great gusto, then went to Church afterwards.
and:
CLEOPATRA MARRIES PTOLOMEY VIII. They were brother and sister. Because the Pharoah was a god, he couldn't mate with a mortal, and the only available goddesses around was his sister. This curious inbreeding in the Royal line insured that the mighty family of Ptolomey, general of Alexander the Great, would produce descendants like Orestes the Flute Blower. No wonder Julius Caesar was more fun.

A tradition carried on by the "royals", I believe....how else to explain Prince Charles?

eg8r
10-06-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CLEOPATRA MARRIES PTOLOMEY VIII. They were brother and sister. Because the Pharoah was a god, he couldn't mate with a mortal, and the only available goddesses around was his sister. This curious inbreeding in the Royal line insured that the mighty family of Ptolomey, general of Alexander the Great, would produce descendants like Orestes the Flute Blower. No wonder Julius Caesar was more fun.
<hr /></blockquote> So that is where flute players come from. I never did like the flute and now I see why. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r