PDA

View Full Version : Cues: why wood?

06-21-2002, 12:59 AM
This might seem like a stupid question?
Id just like to know, why is wood better then other materials?
I think they could use much better materials to reduce deflection more then predator plus they wouldnt warp.

Personaly i think its just because its always been that way and because of the look of it and maybe the sound ( wich most players realy think of when they talk about feel ).

Cueless Joey
06-21-2002, 09:24 AM
Nobody has come up with a synthetic shaft yet that's as good as wood. Believe me, they have tried. Synthetics are too stiff and too sticky imo.

Q-guy
06-21-2002, 10:14 AM
Because it is. You say they could use much better materials, what do you suggest? Wood has always been the bench mark, and so far nothing ever tried has been better.

Thierry Layani
06-21-2002, 10:23 AM
First, wood (and especially hardrock maple) has a modulus of elasticity perfectly balanced for the physical requirements of pool. What this means is that it can bend to a certain degree and come back to its natural form without experiencing a permament distortion.The other thing is feel or what I'd rather call resonance. The resonance of wood is much more interesting for the hand of a pool player than a piece of plastic or metal. Wood will transfer the vibration better than metal or plastic. If you've ever played with a metal cue you would understand clearly that there is no other option (for now that is). And as far as wood for the shaft, there is no essence that can come close (except for white ash) to hard rock maple in terms of specific inherent qualities for pool playing. A lot of people have tried other kinds of wood (myself for instance) and maple is without any doubt the best essence available. That's why everybody's using it.

Thierry Layani
wwww.layanicues.com

06-21-2002, 12:09 PM
Ok thanks for the explanation :-)
Well it just seems weird to me that people still arent able to make something better then something that just grows out there...

Scott Lee
06-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Joey...Maybe Patrick can bring some new kind of material from his planet! LOL I think the best would be some kind of cue that shoots by itself! LMAO

Scott

Thierry Layani
06-21-2002, 01:25 PM
I'm sure some peole are working on it, but it's not here yet. When we'll be out of maple (sooner than we think)I'm positive they'll find something. I just hope I'll be dead by then.

Thierry Layani (likes working with what nature has to offer--- even my wife)

06-21-2002, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Thierry Layani:</font><hr> I'm sure some peole are working on it, but it's not here yet. When we'll be out of maple (sooner than we think)I'm positive they'll find something. I just hope I'll be dead by then.

Thierry Layani (likes working with what nature has to offer--- even my wife)
<hr></blockquote>

You mean you hope there is still anough of it or you just dont like living?

heater451
06-21-2002, 05:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Malcolm:</font><hr> Ok thanks for the explanation :-)
Well it just seems weird to me that people still arent able to make something better then something that just grows out there... <hr></blockquote>
I think that Mother Nature is still FAR in the lead, when it comes to "making something". . . . /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-21-2002, 05:37 PM
Ofcource the way of making it is much more advanced but how can they use that same material for everything?
Wood is just something that happens to have formed in evolution and it just happens to be that good for everything?
Just seems very weird to me.

Patrick
06-21-2002, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr>Joey...Maybe Patrick can bring some new kind of material from his planet! LOL I think the best would be some kind of cue that shoots by itself! LMAO

Scott <hr></blockquote> Why do you say planet!?!? I am not from a planet! I am from a higher plane. If I would be from another planet, I would come from the same plane and still be a primitive race. "I AM THE TRUTH, THE LIGHT AND THE WAY".
Why do you never answer what your IQ is?

Patrick

Thierry Layani
06-21-2002, 06:53 PM
What I mean is the way things are going right now in the wood business I don't know how long we're gonna last. I just wouldn't want to see my self in a world with empty forest because of some stupid business man who thinks solely in terms of benefits and profits. That's only what I meant.
Thierry --who loves life more than anything--

Cueless Joey
06-21-2002, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Joey...Maybe Patrick can bring some new kind of material from his planet! LOL I think the best would be some kind of cue that shoots by itself! LMAO

Scott <hr></blockquote>.......
Too late. I beat him to it. It's called Remington 700.LOL

06-21-2002, 08:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Thierry Layani:</font><hr> What I mean is the way things are going right now in the wood business I don't know how long we're gonna last. I just wouldn't want to see my self in a world with empty forest because of some stupid business man who thinks solely in terms of benefits and profits. That's only what I meant.
Thierry --who loves life more than anything-- <hr></blockquote>

Well i agree with you on that :-)

Scott Lee
06-21-2002, 09:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> I am not from a planet! I am from a higher plane. If I would be from another planet, I would come from the same plane and still be a primitive race. "I AM THE TRUTH, THE LIGHT AND THE WAY".
Patrick <hr></blockquote>

Hahahahaha...LOLOL...LMAO...ROTFLMAO...now THAT's a good one! Wherever you're from Patrick, it's most assuredly NOT here! That last comment will draw laughs for thousands of us lowly humans! Thanks for the funny!

Scott Lee

Harold Acosta
06-21-2002, 09:32 PM
No wood? Nah, that's not going to happen. If the US comes even close to ending the supply of Maple, all they have to do is invade Canada and we'll have good Canadian Maple for our shafts....until we regrow our own.

TonyM
06-22-2002, 05:33 AM
"What this means is that it can bend to a certain degree and come back to its natural form without experiencing a permament distortion."

Actually, the modulus of eleasticity is only a measure of the "stiffness" of the material. You would have to look at other properties (most specifically it's yeild point) to see if it will not take a permanent distortion. In fact Maple can take a permanent distortion, if the stress is high enough. But I digress. Actually Thierry, there are a great many materials that will not take a permamnent distortion (at the stress levels experienced in a pool shot) that are not wood. This includes various metals, and synthetic composite materials. This feature alone is not enough to show the dominance of wood.

"The resonance of wood is much more interesting for the hand of a pool player than a piece of plastic or metal."

Now this part I actually agree with! Thus the superior resonance found in wood is not merely of a technical nature (which could be duplicated with other materials ie; frequency and amplitude) but rather one of an asthetic nature. Wood "feels" good.

"Wood will transfer the vibration better than metal or plastic"

Well no I don't agree with this! Wood actually dampens many of the vibrations produced. It is the character of these dampened vibrations that we prefer. If more vibration is transferred then it might appear harsh, it could give too much feedback. Thus with wood less of the high frequency vibrations are transmitted and more of the lower frequency vibrations are preserved. Perhaps they are beter for feedback?

I contend that one day someone will get a composite shaft "right" and the vibration (resonance) and feedback will be as pleasant as wood. It's not an impossible task. It would take time and research, but I believe that it could be done. But of course many might still prefer a wooden shaft!

Remember, at one time golf club makers used the same sort of arguments in praise of Hickory shafts. Where did they all go?

Tony

heater451
06-22-2002, 10:26 AM
Wood is good for lots of things, but not everything.

I am taking your statement as an absolute, in order to use another, "it's used for everything" material.

PLASTIC.

If you look around, you will probably find more plastic in your home than wood (or, equal amounts, at least). It's used in your computer, the keyboard, the monitor, electrical end connectors on wires in the wall, wire insulation, PVC pipe, drawer pulls, telephones, ball-point pens, televisions, stereos, VCRs, microwaves, tumblers, tupperware, artificial hearts, trash bags--I could go on and on, and even add that some cues use plastic (if we consider 'phenolic resin' a plastic) ON a cue, but not for the cue itself.

Now, imagine that the studs in your walls were replaced with plastic. . . .it can be done ( http://oikos.com/esb/33/foam-panel.html ), but it's probably not cost-effective at this point, nor would it be possible to overturn the lumber industry over night.

My point is, plastics "just happens to be that good for everything", to use your words, but I don't think I'd want to play pool with a plastic cue. . . .

(And, when it comes to a material that is formed over minutes-to-hours, I think something that's formed over decades is the more trustworthy--although, the future is wide open.)

SPetty
06-24-2002, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> Why do you never answer what your IQ is?<hr></blockquote>Hi Patrick,

Why do you care what anybody's IQ is, especially your own? The IQ test that the humans use was invented by the humans for the humans. Surely it can't be used to measure your intelligence. And surely, when it measures the human's intelligence, it has to be wrong, because it was created by the humans!

Patrick
06-25-2002, 12:48 AM
Yes, you are right. IQ tests only measure what the human brain is capable of doing. Without my human vehicle, my intelligence would be unlimited.

Patrick