PDA

View Full Version : Slick Irish Linen

slipstroke
10-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Just purchased a cue that has an Irish linen wrap. This must be "pressed" Irish linen because it is very smooth and slick. Is there a way to take some of the slickness out and give it a little more grip? Anyone ever had a cue with this same type situation?
Thanks

Fran Crimi
10-06-2005, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slipstroke:</font><hr> Just purchased a cue that has an Irish linen wrap. This must be "pressed" Irish linen because it is very smooth and slick. Is there a way to take some of the slickness out and give it a little more grip? Anyone ever had a cue with this same type situation?
Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

Yup. I have a Bushka like that, and used to have an old Palmer like that, too. That was one of the trademarks of a quality cue back in the old days. The players actually desired it because they used to like to let the cue slip through the back hand after impact. A lot of players still do that today. Varner always used to say if it slips a little in the follow-through it means you're not grabbing the cue. Efren does it, too.

There isn't much you can do with it without the wrap getting fuzzy. You may just have to get it rewrapped.

Fran

Eric.
10-06-2005, 04:03 PM
The only thing I could think of is Pow'r Tac spray. It's usually used on baseball bats and is a gummy type of spray on thing. It's not like Pine tar, which gets on everything and is hard to get off. It doesn't damage the cue and wears off after being used for awhile. I used to use it on my wrapless Predator BK, until my cue left me /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You can find it in most sporting goods stores.

Eric

Bob_Jewett
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slipstroke:</font><hr> Just purchased a cue that has an Irish linen wrap. This must be "pressed" Irish linen because it is very smooth and slick. Is there a way to take some of the slickness out and give it a little more grip? Anyone ever had a cue with this same type situation?
Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
Cues wrapped with nylon have that problem, too. One solution I've heard is to rub waxed paper on the linen. The wax makes the linen stickier. I've also heard that this causes the wrap to gather dirt. Another solution is to have a finish (like polyurethane) applied to the wrap. It will keep the wrap clean and is a lot less slippery. I prefer no wrap to a linen wrap. Linen is too variable for me.

BLACKHEART
10-06-2005, 09:50 PM
As a Qmaker, I run into this problem, on both ends. I made a $800 Q for a friend &amp; he asked that I NOT press the linen too tightly. That he liked the feel of the rough string. I delivered the Q to him at a bar, during league play. He was completely happy with the Q, in every way. A friend of his took the Q &amp; rubbed the wrap area. His coment to me was "WHEN YOU CAN GET THIS WRAP TO FEEL SMOOTH, THEN YOU'LL KNOW YOU'RE A CUEMAKER". Go figure. Ya just can't win...JER

Rod
10-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Have the cue re-wraped. Use Jer's example and not have it pressed to tight. You can feel what you want while it's still on the lathe. For thirty or so bucks you get what you want.

As a side note you can spray a wrap with laquer but use a drier spray, meaning hold the gun/can farther away from the wrap. With a gun you adjust leaner and increase air pressure, with a can all you can do is spray farther away. This takes some experience but it would work. I doub't your up to the task so consider a wrap job first.

Rod

ragbug74
10-07-2005, 10:39 AM
On thing that you could try without making any major investment is to try some spray starch on the wrap. When I install a wrap, I wet it with water, press it, then spray it with starch, and press/burnish again. The starch gives the linnen a bit of a takcy feeling that may take care of your issue.