PDA

View Full Version : Rules for tournaments

loyter
10-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I played in an 8-ball league that had a 3-foul rule. The rule stated that any player who committed a foul on 3 consecutive strokes (not innings) would lose the game. Is this a standard rule? Do many people try to win a game by hooking their opponent when they have ball in hand in order to force 3 straight fouls? Sounds like fun to me, but one could get his thumbs broken this way.

Also, when the object ball is frozen to a rail, you have to hit it, and then drive another ball (cue, etc...) to a rail, or drive the object ball to another rail. Correct?

johnnydub
10-06-2005, 01:04 PM
I just joined my first league last night and watched one of my teammates win a game like that, pretty cool if you ask me

Alaskan_Pool
10-06-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't get the rules you are playing at all. You say specifically three fouls in three consecutive strokes (not innings). How is this possible? I've never seen a game where committing a foul wasn't a loss of turn. So inevitably it would either be the same as three consecutive innings, or you're playing rules where you get to go again after committing a foul?

Bob_Jewett
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> I played in an 8-ball league that had a 3-foul rule. ...
Also, when the object ball is frozen to a rail, you have to hit it, and then drive another ball (cue, etc...) to a rail, or drive the object ball to another rail. Correct? <hr /></blockquote>
3 fouls for loss of rack is absolutely standard at 9 ball, but it is a really, really, really stupid rule at 8-ball. The difference is that you can hide the cue ball behind any of your object balls at 8 ball, including the one you just hit. In a match between a fair player and a beginner, the fair player can easily win most of the time by three fouls.

For the second part, driving a ball to a rail after contact is standard in all sorts of pool games, and driving a frozen ball into the touching cushion is not considered "to a rail." If the ball hasn't been called frozen, it's not frozen.