PDA

View Full Version : Got Up With An Attitude!

Sid_Vicious
10-07-2005, 07:18 AM
I've been personalizing my game on the home table for the last week since I am on a long vacation, stress is basically gone without the job nagging me subconsciously, and doing very well. The last couple of days I've played really well, had my mentor racking a lot more, finishing when I was supposed to a lot more. Ok, here's part of the attitude. Anyone's who's played pool with me to any extent can attest that I play about equal off hand, and IMO I utilize the left side with grace when the bridge is optional, especially when there is a stroke required for shape. Thing is, he(mentor) has a hard-on against off hand, always has, even though he SHOULD recognize that I have a gift. All the guy can key up on as best I can guess is a few key flubs left handed, and yet folks, I've hosed easier shots right handed, and the bridge...consistency good but made an embarrassment far more IMO that the off hand executions. Yesterday he made a stern statement concerning the upcoming league(he's the new captain this year)at the beginning of our play-day, "If I could make one new rule for the team it would be that there would be NO off hand shots allowed!", and that was said entirely toward me. I decided today after a sh!tty night's sleep that I am playing my own game. I have played this game since a teenager, seriously for the last 12 years, and it is time I played MY game, nobody's elses, DONE MADE THAT DECISION.

Second reason for the attitude. I played another friend after my captain left for the afternoon, someone I respect a lot, and he gave me a piece of advice to let my stroke out and not punch the shot as much, which I associated with in part so I adopted it on the spot. One of the railbirds I'm supposed to beat chimed in "Yea you do dat, you do dat a lot." Well, the flow and winning rythm I had throughout the last couple of days had new hiccups, I lost a little cash(nothing really), slept badly, got up this morning remembering both of the experiences of off hand & the railbird's "shot", and I said F'it!, I am playing my own game from now on. Got on the home table with that attitude plus stoking through a bit more(I ain't that stubborn not to take valid advice), and resumed MY game nicely to my standards.

I am not advising anyone to steer away from other player's advice, and yet, there comes a time to quit being the student and be the player you have become.

I am just venting, thanks for taking the time to read all of this...sid

Greg in VA
10-07-2005, 08:52 AM
I get a lot of resistance from my peers when I shoot off-hand......... We play a bunch of scotch doubles for small time stakes, and they feel that I'm disrespecting the shot (and them) when I switch to left-handed. I have spent alot of time working on my left-handed bridge, and feel that on some shots I have a better feel for shape than when I use the rake.
The strange part of their objections is they have no evidence to support their position. While I'm sure I don't visually look as fluid and confident left-handed, I make a high percentage of them. Maybe your captain is showing a little bit of envy????

sack316
10-07-2005, 09:49 AM
I really don't understand that at all about someone not encouraging the ability to shoot offhanded. For some reason my motor skills just don't allow it, but it's something I really wish I could add to my game. I know a few people that can, and one or two of them are low ranked people on my teams. I encourage it to them as long as it's something they are comfortable with because it's just so useful sometimes.
Yes you should be able to shoot with a bridge as well, but I wouldn't suggest dropping a weapon completely from your arsenal

Cane
10-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Sid, Well, I'M going to give you advice! LOL Do what you're doing. Keep the attitude! I shoot off handed well enough to make a shot, and wish I could shoot it well enough to make any shot I wanted. In any case, changing subtleties of your game is good, like you mentioned with finishing the stroke, but play your game, your style, your way. Instructors don't generally try to re-vamp a players style, but do things to complement that style. But... it's YOUR style and it's part of why you play the way you do... and I've played you, and personally, think your a pretty damn good stick.

later,
Bob

Stretch
10-07-2005, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Greg in VA:</font><hr> I get a lot of resistance from my peers when I shoot off-hand......... We play a bunch of scotch doubles for small time stakes, and they feel that I'm disrespecting the shot (and them) when I switch to left-handed. I have spent alot of time working on my left-handed bridge, and feel that on some shots I have a better feel for shape than when I use the rake.
The strange part of their objections is they have no evidence to support their position. While I'm sure I don't visually look as fluid and confident left-handed, I make a high percentage of them. Maybe your captain is showing a little bit of envy???? <hr /></blockquote>

To shoot off handed the transition must be seemless. Work at it till u can switch on the move with no hesitation or "show". When u can do it so knowone even notices (most importantly yourself) then it's good enough for game.

I hardly ever use the rest cause i'm basicaly, um, lazy? So i REALLY took to switch hitting early on, rather than ruin my flow going on scavenger hunts. St.

Sid_Vicious
10-07-2005, 01:28 PM
I know what you mean. I've had compliments about shots I didn't remember going off hand, and then there are "bigger shots" I hit left handed which never gets mentioned with the off hand aspect. That seems to me to line up with both things you stated Stretch. Confidence is always beneficial to any shot, no brainer, and yet it certainly puts you way ahead of those who go off hand but do not work the off hand and learn it to the confident level, considering that they just couldn't do it at all. Many people can't at all...sid

DebraLiStarr
10-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Due to the ambidextrious nature of your post, I hereby christen thee:

BLUEWOLF II

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PastPrime
10-07-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure that I have ever missed a shot left-handed in a game! Wow! Strong statement but I only shoot cuts that I can't reach comfortably with my right hand. Also, I have noted many times that I can see the ball better in a left handed stance and I also make a better stroke, although not as fluid, and I don't use any shoulder from the left side. I don't know how the stance changes my head/eye angle but I can definately see better. What's up with that?

Deeman3
10-07-2005, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PastPrime:</font><hr> I'm not sure that I have ever missed a shot left-handed in a game! Wow! Strong statement but I only shoot cuts that I can't reach comfortably with my right hand. Also, I have noted many times that I can see the ball better in a left handed stance and I also make a better stroke, although not as fluid, and I don't use any shoulder from the left side. I don't know how the stance changes my head/eye angle but I can definately see better. What's up with that? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Somebody forgot to tell you that you are left handed? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

Alaskan_Pool
10-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Has your mentor ever stated what exactly his reasoning is? I'm no pool guru, but I've read enough to know that being able to switch is a great advantage and is encouraged by many pros. I remember an article years ago by a top instructor (no memory of who it was), when I was reading every instruction manual and pool magazine like a sponge, that strongly encouraged players to spend a month just practicing opposite handed. So, what exactly is your mentor's beef?

dg-in-centralpa
10-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Sid,
I can't believe he's upset at playing off hand. I would love to do it better. No one in my two leagues would be against it, in fact they all do it if necessary. Keep doing it buddy. Screw them.

DG - playing lousy in leagues right now

theinel
10-08-2005, 02:24 AM
Sid,

I have coached and captained for many years and can feel the pain of your captain, but only from the angle of having seen too many people not take shots seriously, but as a player I can tell that you if you take it seriously and have practiced it that you should always go with what you know and believe in when over a shot. I have been practicing and shooting opposite handed for years on shots that I can't reach comfortably on my regular shooting side and have had great success with it. I would go so far as to say that if I can comfortably bridge with my left hand (my off side) and the cue ball is within three feet of the object ball I am nearly equal with my potting and my control of side and power left handed continue to improve.

A great real world example would be Torbjorn Blomdahl, the best 3C player in the world over the last several years. He freely switches to his off-hand and can still make five plus rail billiards with regularity. There are examples available online. If you would like to see them let me know and I will find the links.

Stretch
10-08-2005, 02:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PastPrime:</font><hr> I'm not sure that I have ever missed a shot left-handed in a game! Wow! Strong statement but I only shoot cuts that I can't reach comfortably with my right hand. Also, I have noted many times that I can see the ball better in a left handed stance and I also make a better stroke, although not as fluid, and I don't use any shoulder from the left side. I don't know how the stance changes my head/eye angle but I can definately see better. What's up with that? <hr /></blockquote>

My guess why u see better on off handed shots is that when attempted normaly your body is jammed against the table makeing proper head and body alignmen akward at best. So your view of the shot is also cramped and awkward. By switching hands, u releive this tension and can now take the shot that allows u to more naturaly align yourself and your vision. Switch hitters just have a wider range of shots they can take "comfortably". St.

PastPrime
10-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Stretch. When I switch to left handed it is because I feel so uncomfortable. So I think you're absolutely right. Now, seeing your address brings up a off subject question. Isn't ChristinaModel from your neck of the woods? That is the cutest thing I have ever seen!