PDA

View Full Version : Gabriels, Diamond, Connelly and Gold Crown

chaz801
10-07-2005, 08:48 AM
This is my first post here. I've browsed this site frequently and have read some interesting topics. I'm in the market for a regular 8ft table. I've researched several and have narrowed it down to 3 or 4 brands. I want a Diamond pro because they have an awsome table and are made in the USA. The only draw back is that they only make the pro model in an 8ft extended version. I can barley get a regular 8ft table in the space in my basement which is 16' 8" long. Not concearned about the width at 16ft. According to measurement charts..I will have to go to a shorter cue to play off the short rail on a larger table but thats another subject. The Gabriels company makes a regular 8 ft table but I don't know how to purchase one being they ship from over seas and I don't know if there are any distributors or contacts here in the USA. I tried to email Joe Marra a former rep who posted threads here about 2-3 years ago but no reply yet. I understand they make an awsome table but I cant get anyone to return my emails from Gabriels. My 3rd choice would be a Connelly Scottsdale. And forth choice would be a used Gold Crown I or II but they are hard to find and i want to ask did they even make a regular 8ft table? Any feed back from you billiard guru's out there will be highly appreciated.

eales
10-08-2005, 09:33 AM
You should think about the tradeoffs. The minimum long distance for an 8' table is 18' in the FAQ (item 10 at http://www.sfbilliards.com/misc.htm). Diamond makes some 7' tables that I haven't played on, but I am sure some who post here have.

Jim Eales

chaz801
10-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the input. I've seen different required measurements for pool table and room size. Connelly requires the minimum room length of 16'10" with a 57 inch cue. The Diamond regular 8ft requires 17' with the same cue. The Diamond 8ft pro/extended version requires 17 1/2 ft. I felt i could get away with the regular 8ft table in a 16'9" length room. What is really the true minimum requirement? I actually taped off an out line of a table in my room and simulated using a 57 inch cue. It seemed tight but seemed to work. I know the more room you have the more comfortable you will be. I just feel if i go to a 7ft bar box i might get tired of playing on a smaller table.

DavidB
10-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Chris Aldridge the owner of Country Retreat Family Billiards in Boone, NC is a Gabriel dealer. His number is 828-963-6260. Good luck. All nice tables you have chosen.

chaz801
10-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks a lot David. I wonder why i can't get this information from the factory in Belgium via web mail? This is the information i've been looking for. I will contact him.

chaz801
10-08-2005, 01:34 PM
David i talked to Chris in North Carolina. I have talked to him before. He is not a distributor of the Gabriels Tables. He just helped promote them because he's had them in his Billiard Hall for a few years and love them. He wanted the best and it didnt matter how much they would cost. He said they are the best tables he's owned and his customers love playing on them. I guess Im back to square one because im starting to think there arent any US distributors for Gabriels.

Scott Lee
10-08-2005, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote chaz801:</font><hr> David i talked to Chris in North Carolina. I have talked to him before. He is not a distributor of the Gabriels Tables. He just helped promote them because he's had them in his Billiard Hall for a few years and love them. He wanted the best and it didnt matter how much they would cost. He said they are the best tables he's owned and his customers love playing on them. I guess Im back to square one because im starting to think there arent any US distributors for Gabriels. <hr /></blockquote>

Charles...Their site (http://www.gabrielsbilliards.com/english/contact.html) lists a Dutch phone number. Perhaps you should invest in an overseas call, and contact them personally! Sorry I couldn't help you more earlier!

Scott Lee

chaz801
10-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Hello Scott
Good to hear from you and hope all is well. I guess I will have to invest in a call to them. Thank You all for your help.

Bob_Jewett
10-08-2005, 03:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote chaz801:</font><hr> ... What is really the true minimum requirement? I actually taped off an out line of a table in my room and simulated using a 57 inch cue. It seemed tight but seemed to work. ... <hr /></blockquote>
There is no true minimum except that the table must fit in the room -- a 6x11 room will work. I know someone who had two sides of their table against walls. You have to decide if that's too tight for you. Try the plywood method suggested in the RSB FAQ if you really want to be sure. Here it is, copied from the link given by Jim Eales:

10. ** How much room do I need for a table?

The minimum space for a table is the playing area plus the length of a
cue (58") plus about 6 inches for the back swing, more for comfort, on
each side. This gives the table:

table --- playing area--- room size
8' --- 44" x 88" --- 14'4" x 18'
8+' --- 46" x 92" --- 14'6" x 18'4"
9' --- 50" x 100" --- 14'10" x19'
12' (snooker) 70" x 140.5" --- 16'6" x 22'5"

"Seven foot" tables vary in size. Work down from the 8' dimensions.
"8+" is an "oversized" 8-foot table.

If your room does not meet these minimum size requirements, many
billiard retailers will suggest that you can still put a table in, and
use short cues (52", or 48"). Many people have found they are unhappy
having to resort to shorter cues, and should have either gotten a
smaller table, or no table at all. Others, of course, take the
opposite view -- they are delighted to have any table.

In the end, only you will know whether you are happy with the room
dimensions and need for short cues. Before you spend $2000 for a table
that will cause you to smash the walls in frustration, try this:
(1) Find an indulgent pool hall when it's not busy. (2) Measure your
space (at home) carefully, including the distance from the table to all
walls that require a special cue (3) Go to the pool hall with a piece
or pieces of plywood or some such, and a short cue, and set up the
"walls" to replicate where the walls would be in your house. Play for
several hours, using the short cue when needed.

Between two tables you can do with about the length of a cue, the limit
is caused not by the cue, but by the player being able to go into his
stance between the tables. Deluxe rooms really need more room on all
sides to let possible passers-by move without bumping into the players.

chaz801
10-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks Bob for the link about table and room size. I will do a more thorough evaluation of the space in my basement. I wish i had at least another foot to play with. Im not an experienced billiard player but always wanted a pool table. Most people have said go with the largest table you can fit in your space. Again i will closely look at what i can feel comfortable with. I figure maybe 1 out of 30 times a player will have to shoot long off the short rail. Im taking everything into consideration.

chaz801
10-09-2005, 04:58 AM
I finally got word back from Mr.Gabriels. He mentioned to me some very interesting news and apologized for not getting back to me sooner. Not sure if this is official as of yet, but Gabriels will be distributing their product for USA customers exsclusively through Diamond. Stay tuned... <font color="blue"> </font color>

DavidB
10-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Chaz - Sorry about the misinformation. I thought Chris in NC was a Gabriel dealer. I have played on them and they're a great table. I play on Diamonds all the time and they are also excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with either. If it were me it would come down to price and accessibility to getting the table and warranty/repair considerations. Also, I don't know if any of the Gabriels have leather pockets - Diamonds do - and I prefer cueing over leather vs. rubber. I do envy your dilemma.