PDA

View Full Version : The World Straight Pool Championship

koreandragon
10-07-2005, 08:05 PM
The World Straight Pool Championship

Dragon Promotions is pleased to announce the revival of the World Straight Pool Championship. The event will take place in the New York City vicinity of the US on April 5-9, 2006.

There is already a buzz among some top players anticipating the event including committments from Legends of Straight Pool Champion John "Mr.400" Schmidt, European Straight Pool Champion Thorsten Hohmann, NYC legend Tony Robles, and former World Champion Bobby Hunter. "Straight pool is one of the most purest games ever, and the very first game that I learned. It's definitely one of my best games and I've dreamed of the day where I could compete with the world's best for the World Title ," says Schmidt. BCA Open Champion Hohmann says, "I am very excited about The World Straight Pool Championship! I feel straight pool is not only my favorite game, but my best game...and I finally can show the world my skills in it. Straight pool is finally back where it belongs."

The event has been in planning for several months now, but the primary reason of the event being brought to NYC has been the influence and support of one of straight pool's biggest philanthropist, Randy Goldwater NYC. Goldwater has been a consistent supporting icon of pool in New York City for years befriending such notables as George "Ginky" SanSouci and Tony "Silent Assasin" Robles. "When I heard that Dragon Promotions was planning the revival of the World 14.1 Championship, I knew right away that this event had to be in the New York City area. It's been too long since the last big one, and with the global diversity of players in the field that's being invited and going to attend, this may be the toughest and greatest straight pool event ever in history. I'm happy to be a part of the event and plan on supporting this for years to come."

The World Straight Pool Championship will be an elite field of 64 players including 10 qualifiers held throughout the US, Latin America, and Canada. Invitations are being sent now to players around the world and will also play host to former straight pool title holders and Hall of Famers.

For more information, please email worldstraightpoolchampionships@gmail.com

theinel
10-08-2005, 03:19 AM
Are there any open/qualifier spots? If it's a world championship then "the world" should at least have a long shot at it.

Steve Lipsky
10-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Hey theinel. There are 52 invitees, only 25 of which are American. There will be 12 qualifiers held throughout the world, including the United States.

- Steve

Rich R.
10-08-2005, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hey theinel. There are 52 invitees, only 25 of which are American. There will be 12 qualifiers held throughout the world, including the United States.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>
Steve, are you on the invited list?

Scott Lee
10-08-2005, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote koreandragon:</font><hr> The World Straight Pool Championship

"When I heard that Dragon Promotions was planning the revival of the World 14.1 Championship, I knew right away that this event had to be in the New York City area. It's been too long since the last big one, and with the global diversity of players in the field that's being invited and going to attend, this may be the toughest and greatest straight pool event ever in history. I'm happy to be a part of the event and plan on supporting this for years to come."
<hr /></blockquote>

"Elite" field or not, the straight pool players of today can't hold a candle to the great players of yesteryear! I agree that there are some very talented pros out there, able to post some nice high runs. However, to say that this upcoming event overshadows the people in history who REALLY played 14.1 is a bit of a stretch, imo. I'm sure this will be a great event, and I hope it gets some media coverage, and is shown on t.v. too!

Scott Lee

thecardman
10-08-2005, 02:26 PM
I posted the following on the AZBilliards forum, but it seemed to get lost in amongst all the posts on there recently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've got a couple of questions for the organisers. First off, will the event be sanctioned by the World Pool Association, thus giving us Official World Championships in all 3 major disciplines for which there are "World Standardised Rules".

Secondly, will the event be broadcast anywhere - either TV or (more likely) online? I think it is safe to say that there are plenty people who populate these boards that would happily subscribe if (like me) they couldn't get to the tournament in person.

Charlie, congratulations to you and all those at Dragon Productions for bringing back the World Straight Pool Championships. I hope that I get to see it one way or another.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Steve Lipsky
10-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey Rich. I'll be playing /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I think one of the promoters put in a good word for me...

- Steve

Rich R.
10-09-2005, 05:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hey Rich. I'll be playing /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I think one of the promoters put in a good word for me...

That is very good news Steve. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope you get all of the good rolls.

Deeman3
10-09-2005, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hey Rich. I'll be playing /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I think one of the promoters put in a good word for me...

<font color="blue"> Steve,

Good luck to you, my friend. I hope you have a good tournament and enjoy yourself. </font color>

Deeman

Steve Lipsky
10-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys... hopefully I'll make a good showing for NYC and CCB. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is a good thing that the tournament is 5 months away, as I currently seem unable to run 4 balls lol.

- Steve

Rich R.
10-09-2005, 06:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Thanks guys... hopefully I'll make a good showing for NYC and CCB. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="red">We know you will. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

It is a good thing that the tournament is 5 months away, as I currently seem unable to run 4 balls lol.

<font color="red">That is better than the "3 freakin' balls" the rest of us are running. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

nAz
10-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Awesome news! I love this game! i look forward to attending. thank you Dragon productions!

Hey Steve you know I will be rooting for you as well as many of the other NYC players... I was wondering do you think Flaco will be invited??

9 Ball Girl
10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I'll be there and you can expect for me to be rooting for all of my NY guys!

Steve Lipsky
10-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys. Look forward to seeing you there!

Naz, I doubt Flaco was invited, as I don't think he's really playing much right now. I will try to find out for you, though.

- Steve

Lockwood
11-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Hi Steve,
When is this going to be and how can I get in?

DickLeonard
11-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Scott I just want to tell you what Joe Canton had to say about the Great Players of Old. Most of them were Egotistical Prima Donna's. When he was leading the Tournament the rumors would start that his friend Al Coslosky of Philadelphia was going to dump his game to him. Who would benefit from spreading this rumor the players in the last three or four places.. No it was the contenders whose names will not be named. This was something he had to contend with anytime Al was in the same tournament with him.####

cueball1950
11-29-2005, 10:04 PM
I sent Dragon promotions an email asking if Mike Zuglan will be invited and there answer was quite simply....there are MANY USA players asking to play that are in Mike's league. So what can one deduce from that response. I don't think they will invite Mike because mike will never let the UPA sanction his big events and the invitation won't come because of this......................Mike

cueball1950
11-29-2005, 10:14 PM
I always said that if Dragon Promotions did an event, except the us open, that i would not support it. But if Steve Lipsky is playing. I am there with bells on.lololol......mike

billiardsgod
12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Should be awesome.

Bob_Jewett
12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote koreandragon:</font><hr> The World Straight Pool Championship

Dragon Promotions is pleased to announce the revival of the World Straight Pool Championship. The event will take place in the New York City vicinity of the US on April 5-9, 2006.
... <hr /></blockquote>
I see that the dates of this have been changed to the end of May. Is any other info available?

koreandragon
01-27-2006, 12:12 AM
for additional info please email worldstraightpoolchampionships@gmail.com

Dragon Promotions
Presents

WORLD 14.1 STRAIGHT POOL CHAMPIONSHIP
Qualifiers

Open to Men and Women

Main Event will be held in the NYC vicinity on May 30-June 4. Opening ceremonies for the event will be May 30 and medal awards ceremony on June 4.
This is the Official World 14.1 Championships sanctioned by the WPA.

Players in the main event include names like Souquet, Robles, Hohmann, Schmidt, Hopkins, Manalo, San Souci, Immonen, &amp; many more!

These seven qualifiers will be in: Canada, Holland, Germany, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, &amp; Maryland.

One day events in USA are Limited to 32 players
Europe Qualifiers are 2 days limited to 64 players
Entry fee :$85 Late Entry: $120 Entry deadlines posted by dates for each qualifier

Race to 125 points Double Elimination
Top 2 Finishers Qualify with free entry into World 14.1 Championships

Checks or money orders are made out to Dragon Promotions . Please signify what event city you are paying for. Mail to:

Dragon Promotions, 216 Danville Drive, Orlando, FL 32825

All Late Entries must be paid with MONEY ORDER ONLY and to be made out to Dragon Promotions and paid only at the location of the qualifier.

North America Qualifiers:

March 11
Silver Tip Billiards
2500 Hurontario St.
Mississauga,Ontario L5B1N4 Canada
Email: skwirt2@hotmail.com
(Late Fee after March 2)

March 25
Drexeline Billiards Club
5100 State Rd Ste 300L
Drexel Hill, PA 19026
(610) 259-9144
(Late Fee after March 16)

April 1
Amsterdam Billiards
344 Amsterdam Ave
New York City, NY 10024
212-496-8180
(Late Fee March 23)

April 15
Bill &amp; Billies Q-Club,
1244 Ritchie Highway #4, Severn Commerce Center,
Arnold,MD 21012,
410-544-8185,
410-757-3488
Email : peterpool@comcast.net
(Late Fee April 7)

April 22
G Cue
157 North Morgan Street
Chicago IL 60607
(312) 850-3170
Email: karabatsos@comcast.net
( Late Fee after April 13)

Europe Qualifiers 64 Player Limited

April 22-23

April 22-23
PBC Fulda
Black-Horse-Strasse 4
36041 Fulda / Germany
Phone: +49 661 72074
Email: pe.link@t-online.de
(Late Fee after April 13)

April 29-30
House of Billiards Weert
Smeetspassage 3
6001 KM Weert, Netherlands
Tel: +31-495-542053
Mail: info@hobweert.nl
www.hobweert.nl (http://www.hobweert.nl)
(Late Fee after April 20)

www.dragonpromotions.com

jjinfla
01-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Any truth to the rumor that the IPT will hold their first tournament at the end of May. Could there be a conflict here?

Jake