PDA

View Full Version : Climbing the wall

eat_sleep_pool
10-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to discuse something, you know when you are shooting a ball into a pocket and the rebound of the cueball is close to the cusion, and you really want the ball to travel a long distance but you dont have a good angle, so you really need to use alot of top spin, and hit the cueball hard, well everytime i do this it climbs the cusion and flys off the table, even sometimes just when i hit another ball. Well anyways is there something else i can do to get the ball to not do this?? i know what the ball is doing its spinning so much that it literally climbs the ball/cusion. Anyways i just wanted to know if there was anything to do to avoid this? thanks.

Scott Lee
10-08-2005, 02:34 PM
You don't need to strike the CB that hard to have the effect you're looking for. All you need is a good stroke, and medium speed. If your CB is leaving the table, you're simply shooting too hard. If you can't get the action you want by shooting less hard, you need to have someone take a look at your stroke, because there is something not quite right about it.

Scott Lee

Sid_Vicious
10-09-2005, 07:38 AM
"so you really need to use alot of top spin"

Your top plus power is tossing the ball in the air. If you truly feel that you absolutely MUST go extreme top spin, then you are going to have to find a better stroke with less power to get the distance. Back hand english gets that done, but it is only necessary in extremely tight situations. Otherwise I'd tell you to practice that trap shot you feel uncomfortable with gradient levels of speed using mostly side. The top is going to kill your rock when it hits the rebound rail, some side is going to have to be manufactured. You are probably over powering the shot when less power and proper stroke is in order. I am simply agreeing with Scott with the addition of advising that you should be able to work this shot by yourself with the gradient power routine...sid

heater451
10-09-2005, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Your top plus power is tossing the ball in the air.<hr /></blockquote>That, or you are striking downward on the ball, and causing a slight jump, which, when the cb hits the ob above the ob equator, makes it jump like Knievel (http://www.evelknievel.com/). Either way, it's the same result.

Like Scott and Sid said, you need to work on the stroke. Think of how you're hitting the ball like you are using your fist, then imagine sort of pushing the ball, with your palm down---like you would spin a trackball, on one of those Golden Tee games (or Missle Command, if your old-school). A kind of palm-strike. Of course, you wouldn't be **pushing** the ball with the cue, but the idea is to picture how different the techniques feel.

Also, Sid mentioned that sometimes, "top is going to kill your rock when it hits the rebound rail". This is when you get a lot of action, and the the ball is spinning during the rebound, and wants to run back to the rail--I'm sure you've seen it. Anyway, as was said, practice the shot with different speeds. This is of course much easier, when the rails are live, and the cloth is fast.

Good luck with the practice!

========================================