PDA

View Full Version : ask about pool table-8ball table?

pigbrain
10-09-2005, 01:24 AM
there are two major kinds of billiards tables are used commonly with pockets. snooker table and pool table. are there some tables that are the same size as a pool table, but the cushions and the pockets and the cloth are the same as snooker table, which are used when play 8ball games? here in China, we play 8ball very often, but not on pool table.
8ball means there are 15balls with number on it, one take 1~7,the other player take 9~15, when finish their own group of balls ,then shoot the 8ball to win.
i think in your country, people play 8ball game on a 9ball table, but here in China, 8ball and 9ball are played on different tables.
are there this kind of tables in your country, or somewhere else?

andrew
10-09-2005, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pigbrain:</font><hr>tables that are the same size as a pool table, but the cushions and the pockets and the cloth are the same as snooker table, which are used when play 8ball games?<hr /></blockquote>
These are very common here in pubs and pool halls, although American pool is beginning to take off

Jal
10-09-2005, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pigbrain:</font><hr>...are there this kind of tables in your country, or somewhere else? <hr /></blockquote>There are two snooker tables where I play (midwest America) which are just a little bigger than the 9' tables. Kids come in and play 8-ball on them all the time, not realizing they're different from the regular tables. It takes them a long, long time to get through a rack.

So in my room they're typically used by accident. I've seen actual snooker played on them only twice in about two years.

But I'll never forget one night when a rather disheveled old gentleman came into the room, looking like he had stumbled in from a nearby bar. After scattering the balls (pool size), he then proceeded to fire in nearly table-length shots at nearly break speed over and over on one of them. I was at an adjacent table and paid my respect by keeping my eyes averted, lest he should offer me a game, and flinching every time he blasted one in.

Jim

Cane
10-09-2005, 04:51 PM
pigbrain,

I've never seen tables like that in the US in any pool room, but I have in New Zealand. I went there a couple of years ago on a flyfishing trip and of course, fished by day, played pool at night. Loved the tables.

For those that haven't seen what he's talking about, the ones I saw in New Zealand were basically 7' tables, but instead of having cushions and pocket cuts like you generally see on American Pocket Billiards tables, they had step cushions, like a snooker table, and the pockets were basically formed with a radiused entry, like a snooker table, but larger openings. They were a blast to play on, but you damn sure better hit center pocket!

Later,
Bob